baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
thanks, i'll take a look. wary of the larger charities, don't know what islamic relief's reputation is like tho

luka

Already supermarkets have made it so almost all automatic checkout machines are card only. In Canary Wharf station you can't buy a ticket with cash. You haven't been able to buy a bus ticket with cash for years. ATMs are closing all over the country. More and more cafes, takeaways and casual dining resturaunts are cashless. It's a fait accompli.

droid

Already supermarkets have made it so almost all automatic checkout machines are card only. In Canary Wharf station you can't buy a ticket with cash. You haven't been able to buy a bus ticket with cash for years. ATMs are closing all over the country. More and more cafes, takeaways and casual dining resturaunts are cashless. It's a fait accompli.

droid

While clearly not entirely serious, I do think its worth taking a step back into self examination when your thinking starts aligning with religious lunatics, conspiratorial nutcases and cultists.

Barcodes are not the number of the beast as foretold in revelations, and while the cashless society does offer great potential for control, I dont think thats necessarily the motive, or indeed that there has been a conspiracy to introduce it on that basis.

Last edited:

luka

While clearly not entirely serious, I do think its worth taking a step back into self examination when your thinking starts aligning with religious lunatics, conspiratorial nutcases and cultists.

Do you realise how silly and pompous you sound?

luka

The way this thread works is obvious to everybody. It's the way a lot of science fiction works.
You identify trends from the present and their potential authoritarian applications, and you extrapolate those into a posited authoritarian future.

luka

Once you have film technology you also have the basis for a new kind of surveillance. For example.

luka

Let's not spoil the thread with moral grandstanding and priggishness please. It's a respectable thread with very clear rules following respectable precedents.

luka

Once you have film technology you also have the basis for a new kind of surveillance. For example.

Or, as Huxley pointed out, once you have mood altering and mood regulating drugs you also have a new technology of control.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
the speed at which things are going is so high. or is that just my perception? i feel like every other week some new technology is finding its way. just this morning i saw a gigantic ad in the tube promoting an app on which you can find your perfect flatmate, powered by some sort of artificial intelligence that suggests you the best matches.

the cashless thing is good pointing out, it's an absolute disaster not only for our privacy and our freedom but it directly threatens the most vulnerable of society, such as homeless people who rely completely on cash money.

luka

the speed at which things are going is so high. or is that just my perception? i feel like every other week some new technology is finding its way. just this morning i saw a gigantic ad in the tube promoting an app on which you can find your perfect flatmate, powered by some sort of artificial intelligence that suggests you the best matches.

the cashless thing is good pointing out, it's an absolute disaster not only for our privacy and our freedom but it directly threatens the most vulnerable of society, such as homeless people who rely completely on cash money.

The cashless thing is huge and the fact that after making this post I found an article on the front page of the guardian warning of the dangers just underlines that fact.

The other thing you're talking about is a movement to eliminate chance itself. And, perhaps, also to elimate fate.

luka

The UK is fast becoming a cashless society – without knowing what this really means for consumers or for the UK economy,” Ceeney said. “Many people may want a completely digital future, but we need to make sure that this shift doesn’t leave millions behind or put our economy at risk.”

In the past year, 13% of all free-to-use ATMs in the UK have closed and the number of charging ATMs has jumped from 7% to 25%, costing consumers £29m more in fees.

More and more shops are going cashless, as bank branch closures make it harder for retailers to deposit their cash. Major retailers such as Tesco are piloting stores that only accept cards and digital payments, while British Gas announced last year that customers would no longer be able to pay their bills in cash at PayPoint terminals in shops.

Consumers are relying more heavily on the Post Office network for withdrawals because of bank branch closures, but that service has also come under threat.

luka

The other thing you're talking about is a movement to eliminate chance itself. And, perhaps, also to elimate fate.

Where you hear people about this most is in reference to book shops and record shops. Finding the thing you didn't know you wanted. You lose that with Amazon and the streaming sites.

But it relates to people and ideas too.