Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder what the drug market looks like at the moment.

I've wondered this too. Not much call for E's with all the clubs shut, but I bet plenty of people are whiling away the boredom with a spliff or a few lines, or would like to be. Those lucky enough to still have an income aren't spending it in pubs, cafes and restaurants, or even on their daily commute, so they're saving money. OTOH it must be tough being a dealer when even being outside is enough to attract attention from plod by itself.

luka

Right, this is part of what I mean by the opportunities this is affording the police. Is this something that excites them? Perhaps not. Perhaps they don't particularly want to snuff out that trade although I am certain there are specific grudges they hold and specific individuals they intend to target. Other than that I don't know.

comelately

Wild Horses
I've wondered this too. Not much call for E's with all the clubs shut, but I bet plenty of people are whiling away the boredom with a spliff or a few lines, or would like to be. Those lucky enough to still have an income aren't spending it in pubs, cafes and restaurants, or even on their daily commute, so they're saving money. OTOH it must be tough being a dealer when even being outside is enough to attract attention from plod by itself.

Funnily enough.....

Traffic cops in northwest England said they had stopped a car with a man who had gone on a 200-mile trip to buy windows with his wife in the trunk, while South Wales Police said officers had questioned one man who told them: “My journey is essential. I had to buy weed.”

luka

We might have to start thinking seriously about worst case scenarios. The complete collapse of the global order. The collapse of political structures within nations. Mass starvation. War. Civil unrest on a huge scale. Panic

luka

There's a distinct possibility that this doesn't ever end. That it only gets worse from here.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We might have to start thinking seriously about worst case scenarios. The complete collapse of the global order. The collapse of political structures within nations. Mass starvation. War. Civil unrest on a huge scale. Panic

Never mind all that - some people can't get weed! :eek:

luka

We might also want not to immediately catastrophise.

Well, I think that it is possible to let the imagination go to those places and see what they look like. I don't think that is unwise necessarily. It's part of the possibility field. What we need to avoid is becoming fixated on those possibilities, till we become panicked and hysterical.

luka

My feeling is that we should allow our imaginations to go to those places. We have to avoid catastrophising, yes, avoid panic and hysteria and obsessive thoughts, but equally avoid being Pollyannas, avoid wedging our heads in the sand.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well there’s nothing wrong with that as long as we also allow ourselves to visualise a world where this all leads to a realisation of our common humanity and the first steps towards the fulfilment of our needs as a species and that of the planet.

luka

Well there’s nothing wrong with that as long as we also allow ourselves to visualise a world where this all leads to a realisation of our common humanity and the first steps towards the fulfilment of our needs as a species and that of the planet.

That's the big thing. But we are on a knife edge, it seems to me. And it could go either way. I want to picture both to have a keen sense of what the stakes are.

luka

One of the reasons we never win is because so many of 'our' people deny the very possibility that we could win

luka

This is what upset me so much about Corbyn. One of the reasons he lost was because so many of his natural supporters said he couldn't win. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You let the enemy set the limits of the possible.

luka

It's for us to draw the boundaries of the possible. We can't be tricked into accepting theirs. You have to dream better.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is what upset me so much about Corbyn. One of the reasons he lost was because so many of his natural supporters said he couldn't win. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You let the enemy set the limits of the possible.

This might sound comforting but I don't think it's true. Corbyn's natural supporters were fanatically supportive of him, and many of them apparently thought he was going to smash it. There just weren't enough of them.

luka

In a broader sense. That is, any one to the left of the Tories. Quibble away but the larger point stands.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In a broader sense. That is, any one to the left of the Tories. Quibble away but the larger point stands.

If you think working class voters in the North and Midlands are "natural Corbyn voters" then you obviously haven't paid the slightest bit of attention to politics over the last five years. And that's not a "quibble" but a very large part of why Labour got destroyed last year.

luka

You're missing the point. I don't want to have the argument you want to have. It's a hobby horse of yours I know, but I'm not interested.