Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coming Authoritarianism.

Default The Coming Authoritarianism.

John Eden said there are only two possible futures-

1. Facism

2. Authoritarian Capitalism

I've said I think authoritarianism is being rolled into place in anticipation of the effects of global warming before.

So, what will it look like, this bright future of ours? Look into your crystal ball. Prognosticate.

Very soon society will go cashless and all transactions will be monitored and recorded. This may well go hand in hand with UBI and social credit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Incriminating material from Internet histories will be weaponised against any would be insurgents and where that material does not exist it will be forged.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Borders sealed. Armed forces deployed against migrants.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Surveillance and tracking systems currently used to control workers and prisoners under house arrest universalised.

Centralisation of the media, vicious attacks on any media outlet perceived to be independent. Gerrymandering to ensure a Tory government for ever. Competitive authoritarianism.

A lot of Viktor Orban's playbook.

Technology is developed to combat the effects of climate change, end world hunger and diseases up to and including cancer.

CAN'T WAIT!

BTW, don't we already live in 'authoritarian capitalism'?

Centralisation of the media in reality while retaining the appearance of plurality would be my guess. Fears around fake news being used to purge the Internet of dissenting voices.

The Internet is an interesting one, cos its an instrument of control and I don't think they could ever conceivably get rid of it, and yet its also to an extent uncontrollable.

Which is to say that the Powers that Be must love it but also hate it.

More ideas borrowed from Putin on that score I'd reckon. Create confusion, bury the truth. Anti-liberal witch-hunts, of which the attacks on the BBC will be the start

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    BTW, don't we already live in 'authoritarian capitalism'?
    Play the game properly

image.jpeg

I don't have time rn to write an extended response but this is Syria is so important. It's a horrific human tragedy, yep, but also it's a model for the international policing of dissent.

BTW anyone who reads this, give some money to people in Idlib, today. What's happening right there, today, is horrific.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Did anyone read cities under siege? It's good on the way technology and strategies developed to control a conquered, subjugated civilian population (the book focuses on Fallujah in Iraq and on the Palestinians of the occupied territories) ends up being used against us.

Reading about Idlib now, Danny - that's horrific. what relief org has the best reputation for getting supplies there?