THE CHAIN

droid

1963, Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions with this latin tinged number

1967, elevated to the divine by the Techniques to became the 'Queen Majesty' riddim (not to be confused with the 'Queen and the minstrel' riddim, which is totally different).

Covered by many reggae artists including Dennis Brown.

1985, the riddim became a perennial, appearing in every decade since the original, Tenor Saw benefiting from a touch of digital production here.

1893, digression: Saw's version took 'When the roll is called up yonder" as its lyrical template - an American hymn beloved of gospel, country and bluegrass artists

2012 - probably the most recent big hit using the riddim.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was gonna say, doesn't it hold the record for most-covered song? Is there any other title that even comes close?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean maybe these are less interesting cos most of them don't evolve - it's more "I did it my way too" and don't mess with the format.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Reggae must be the t for rhythms and reworkings. Something very unique to Jamaican music that I've never quite put my finger on. Wny did they elevate it to such an art form? Something to do with not having the emphasis on the individual artistry, more on the performance.

Anyway, "Ain't No Sunshine"

Bill killin' it (live here)

Issac Hayes goes full pimp and delivers an absolutely epic 17m version at Wattsax. The extended drawn out emotional journey being a classic Hayes move.

Horace Andy taking it dubwise. What destroys about this is the unique vocal, taking on such a familiar classic Such an unususal characterful voice. There's a dub of this somewhere....

Client Eastwood

Concerto De Aranjuez Adagio - Joaquin Rodrigo

Concierto de Aranjuez Part 1 - Miles Davis

Spain - Return to Forever - takes a parts of the the two of the above in the intro and context

Spain - Al Jarreau

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Okay, Fever - didn't really know how tangled this one got until I looked.

Original by Little Willie John, 1956:

Maybe the first "definitive version" by Peggy Lee, 1958:

Obligatory Jamaican interlude - Junior Byles, 1972

which was recorded on a riddim that originated with Ken Boothe in 1970:

which AFAICT was a remake of his own tune from 1965:

and which was still going strong (kind of) in 2013:

Anyway, Junior Byles version got covered:

and that cover (I think) got versioned:

But back to the US, the tune goes everywhere including Madonna:

and then Beyoncé

And that's not mentioning Elvis, James Brown, the Cramps, Boney M and *checks notes* Michael Bublé

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah Fever is one of those ones that have been done millions of times... and also there are loads of popcorn tunes that are basically Fever in all but name.

Leo

it's easy to find one great cover, this thread is more interesting when it's multiple covers of the same tune.