the one thing that spoils it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
J Cole famously ruins this ethereally beautiful song with his dick so big she'll think a foot is in her mouth:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe that's too big a thing (not his dick, the rap), though. It's not like one annoying sound it's a terrible guest appearance.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've always felt that the drums on 'Rebel Rebel' sound like they're in the intro part of a song throughout the whole song.

kumar

doesn't spoil it but sylvs' voice irremediably changes it, although that goes for most things he's done. i love it so much, not in spite of him, but i was really shocked and a bit heartbroken first time i heard it and then his weirdo voice came in! It was the first sylvian thing i ever heard so granted this is a personal issue, but the 13 year old part of me hears the affected melodrama and goes eeruuuuuughghghh, that tension is part of the draw of it of course and enjoying it makes me feel like a grown up. I had the same thing first time i heard swans, i really wanted to like it cos i thought it would rupture a crevasse into the underworld and then "the new mind" started and i was like come off it youre joking surely?

the ig

regarding djing music, there's pretty much categories

the late-spoiling SAX ATTACK!
thought you'd got away with it didn't ya? no, it's waiting in ambush...
about 2/3rds in though mercifully short here, the dread thin-yet-raspy sax-as-mere-denotation-of-sophistication, on this delicious pinky-mauve powder puff of a disco song (or whatevs, uk boogie, uk street soul, raregroove, whateveryouwannacallit, i'm ok)

the INSUFFICIENTLY DUBBED-OUT DUB!
annoyingly loud, shrill vocal snippet kept on from rubbish pop-dance orig, marring this marvelously sorta staggered, long-unwinding ron burrell dub early on:
one you have to remember to eq out if ur playing it out, but obvs there's worse examples out there..

the track where an USUALLY DEPENDABLE PRODUCER SPOILS OWN GOOD WORK IN INEXPLICABLE MO OF MADNESS!
that typically svelte, liquid funk, glistening and gorgeous, courtesy of françois k, & then what the fuck? something like the sound of a piccolo trumpet being force fed raw lemons, seemingly for variety, late on, "there ya go, got bit bored, that's spoiled it for ya!" cheers françois lad!

these have all actually survived previous culls, but they end up on the 'reconsider pile' pretty regularly for that most frolicsome of seasons RECORD COLLECTION PRUNING WEEK!

Last edited:

catalog

That Sylvie track is great, he's a classic isn't he, everything sounds the same that he does, but all very good. He's got a lot to answer for, definitely an architect of various things, jungle, dissensus etc