the one thing that spoils it

blissblogger

this is a ragingly beautiful piece of music except for one element that lets the side down

which is the winded and thin-sounding horn section, whose paltry and clumsy parping resembles the brass section in Dexys if each player had one collapsed lung

what other songs or pieces of music are there whose perfection is marred by a single defect? A limp vocal, a clod-hopping drummer, a lyric that clunks, a chorus that doesn't quite match the expectations set up by the verses - or an even a really bad title.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luka will curse me for going all mojo but the baroque harpsichord solo on "In my life" ruins one of the Beatles most poignant songs for me.

luka

Interesting thread but this record sounds awful in all its parts to me. No offence

luka

Barty talks about the 'turnaround' in jazz. Same thing. Any slackening of the tension strikes modern ears as a let down

luka

We have fundamentally diffrperent expectations. It's a major shift in how we listen

In my opinion

Leo

yeah, I'm just yanking' yr chain.

RE: the one thing, I find I have little tolerance for horns anymore (aside from jazz). I'll stumble across some great 80s/90s house track and be loving it and then some horns come in and I literally lose interest in hearing the rest of it. not sure why but it's become a dealbreaker. an unnecessary accoutrement tacked on.

luka

I was in the pub this afternoon and they had winehouse I'm no good and I noticed how the horns were ghostface horns

mvuent

Void Dweller
sometimes the part that should ruin it, that doesn't fit on paper, is actually the part that makes it good