The Special Relationship

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
UK and US.

I know before you start that there are many other influences going around (Jamaica springs to mind).

Generally speaking, I am guessing, this has been a *relatively* one way street, but we're now seeing a lot of back and forth influencing going on between US and UK rap music.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Generally speaking, I am guessing, this has been a *relatively* one way street, but we're now seeing a lot of back and forth influencing going on between US and UK rap music.
In dance music, yeah, fairly one-way. Lots of rock has gone back across the Atlantic, though - British Invasion, Brit-psych, heavy metal, punk...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's the popular theory that timbaland was inspired by jungle ofc.

And then 2-step was inspired by timbo.

Leo

do brits just send it back to us with their twist on it, or do they actually improve on our original model? for rock music through the 60s-80s, I'd say the brits kicked our ass with better versions of things from here.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
prog trance and dance music. edm is a zerox copy of all that breeder twilo thunder stuff.

noone liked house in the US until sarsha and digging-boring-weeds. that's also why you see some of these new techno djs dropping a bit of prog or whatever, tasteless bovines.

i feel like the mods vs beatles war when it comes to this. everyone is into the awful stuff that we churned out whereas I'm like blud u lot made good music.

awful, just awful.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this on the other hand is majestic stuff. midwest acid galore. big up the chicago and milwaukee massive!

dirty and sexy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this, of course, is utter nonsense.

well I'm not talking about house/rave fans am I. I'm talking about yer indie rockers and normie white kids. otherwise I have terry mullen and Derrick Carter mixes by the dozen on the hd here, and adam x with a ruthless hard acid set from 94.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some of the US/Canada jungle djs are wicked as well, R.A.W and Dara for instance. take my pronouncement for the crass generalisation it is :)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
noone liked prog in the UK. it was literally the end of techno for many. people just stopped going out, sometimes going back to bands. Although we made quite a significant amount of it it had a much wider resonance in the states amongst a crowd who was perhaps unwittingly hostile to regular chicago house/ny garage/midwest hardcore

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
leo i'm 100% not engaging in cultural erasure. don't worry you lot know how to make the best house/techno still.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
like you once told me one of my favourite techno records was made by one of ur college mates Fred Giannelli.

Leo

like you once told me one of my favourite techno records was made by one of ur college mates Fred Giannelli.

absolutely, good memory! hey, you're the only one here (pretty much) who knows and enjoys their house shit, total respect.