Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don’t know where this thing about UK drill flows coming from ‘kill shit’ comes from. Maybe it’s something David drake has said or something, but it’s not true. It’s something you can plot on a graph, they’re objectively different.

I’d even say that the ‘kill shit’ flow is a great example of Americans not being able to cope with dancehall-esque drum patterns. It’s not a rhythmic lexicon they’re comfortable with and that’s why the flow on ‘kill shit’ sticks so rigidly to the snares.

Brooklyn drill flows aren’t UK flows, it’s the instrumentals that the Brooklyn lot are copying from UK drill, not the mcing.

But danny said rappers not producers. i love drill culture wars because everyone contradicts each other. :crylarf:

i mean, i probably agree to an extent, there are/is a rhythmic lexicon from fastchat, even through osmosis if you will, but the popular [piano instrumentals were the worst part of UK drill, in retrospect.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Third time I've said this - I was pointing out that the stuff you posted upthread has zero cultural relevance beyond whatever miniscule audience listens to it on Youtube. It feels like you are responding to a conversation you're having in your head rather than the one we've actually been having.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Third time I've said this - I was pointing out that the stuff you posted upthread has zero cultural relevance beyond whatever miniscule audience listens to it on Youtube. It feels like you are responding to a conversation you're having in your head rather than the one we've actually been having.

thats bollocks mate. why do you pick up avant-garde and musique concrete records then? clearly they have a global cultural relevance that gets absorbed in other ways, sometimes direct and sometimes indirect.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean, the tyranny of the majority is just another variation of the tyranny of the minority, and hence the authoritarian personality is resurrected.

DannyL

Wild Horses
No popular relevance. No real audience beyond a small group of connoisseurs. Which is great for what it is, but that's what it is.

The thread you were reacting to seemed to me to be lamenting the death of a widely involving popular scene, as much as the death of the future. Or rather mistaking one for the other

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm just trying to build a framework of trying to conceptualise culture using a different, not sociocultural but sociohistorical paradigm and you wanna play the oh look at the weirdo autistic schizo in his head having a conversation in his head? anything for common ground i suppose!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No popular relevance. No real audience beyond a small group of connoisseurs. Which is great for what it is, but that's what it is.

The thread you were reacting to seemed to me to be lamenting the death of a widely involving popular scene, as much as the death of the future. Or rather mistaking one for the other

this is rubbish. the core audience for grime was less than 10000.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
things aren't popular/unpopular due to their appeal for connoisseurs but due to forces that dictate career paths.

are you really going to defend this

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm just trying to build a framework of trying to conceptualise culture using a different, not sociocultural but sociohistorical paradigm and you wanna play the oh look at the weirdo autistic schizo in his head having a conversation in his head? anything for common ground i suppose!

It's just frustration mate. All I was trying to do was point out the music you were posting was fairly obscure and speculating that laments for a lost future are also laments for a lost scene or cultural moment within we can lose ourselves in. I was trying to make what felt like to me a fairly simple point and we've been going off on all these tangents about drill.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sorry if im coming across as aggro but the conversation in my head line really pissed me off. it's something my cunting therapist would say and make me want to slit his throat.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Sorry dude. My apologies. It wasn't intended as a slur.

I just didn't get why you were bringing up the tangents that you did.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's just frustration mate. All I was trying to do was point out the music you were posting was fairly obscure and speculating that laments for a lost future are also laments for a lost scene or cultural moment within we can lose ourselves in. I was trying to make what felt like to me a fairly simple point and we've been going off on all these tangents about drill.

Fair cop. I hear that. but all i was trying to say is jungle was obscure, grime was obscure, etc. as soon as they became less obscure, they lost their vitality. even hip hop to an extent, once it ditched the electro influence, it wasn't the same kind of future shock. this is not to devalue the pop sphere, I'm partial to a bit of Melanie B myself, just saying that it seems that the coordinates of that argument are erronious, to me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i want to have an argument about unpredictability vs stasis, but that would mean the framework here would have to be revived a bit cos it would mean that one would have to concede that things marked intelligent or arty might have something in them, even if the impulse goes in the wrong way.

luka

Third, as your therapist, if you keep yelling incoherent abuse at everyone they might get a bit tired of you and not bother engaging. No matter how interesting or useful your ideas might be. I can't be fucked myself and I'm the model of patience and tolerance.

luka

Everyone would like to but you make it impossible. Who wants to get called a cum guzzling cunt every night? Bit much innit

DannyL

Wild Horses
I dunno though. Raving back in early 90s seemed to have that feel of a mass movement while the edges of the musics being played were very creative.

This does seem unusual though culturally.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Third, as your therapist, if you keep yelling incoherent abuse at everyone they might get a bit tired of you and not bother engaging. No matter how interesting or useful your ideas might be. I can't be fucked myself and I'm the model of patience and tolerance.

you're anything but the model of patience and tolerance so I'll take your criticisms on bord.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I dunno though. Raving back in early 90s seemed to have that feel of a mass movement while the edges of the musics being played were very creative.

This does seem unusual though culturally.

sure, techno and jungle. both minority interests. house was already dated when it shipped over from Chicago to the UK. or should i say, what we conceptualised as proper house was already dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.