Sci Fi and Magic

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm saying leave the culture wars to the malcontents and the sad fascist fucks, lets transcend them. but the message is not getting through.

sadmanbarty

can you clarify what you're vouching for here please mate

I think he’s saying that the pitting of various strands of jungle against one another is essentially people who were distanced from the culture trying to signal their authentic relation with it.

Moreover there’s an element of using a strand of jungle as a proxy for a cultural sensibility.

luka

can you clarify what you're vouching for here please mate

Third has these temper tantrums from time to time. It's best not to get sucked in as a rule. Let him vent and then move on as if it never happened is usually the best bet. He's not into clarification or explaining. It makes him angry when he's asked.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think he’s saying that the pitting of various strands of jungle against one another is essentially people who were distanced from the culture trying to signal their authentic relation with it.

Moreover there’s an element of using a strand of jungle as a proxy for a cultural sensibility.

right. jazz and bass was part of the jungle-drum and bass culture. we might not like it but it would wrong to just call it the face mag. goldie ltj bukem (peshay who made the darkest of the dark in 93) were all into the worst stuff of Lonnie Liston Smith. which you know I can understand as sophistication in the 70s-80s but it's different from my lineages rooted in more house/techno, jazz, post-disco, industrial, dancehall etc etc.

loads of people quit jungle around 95-96 when the production technology moved on. it would be wrong to say it was just the white student rock audience who led to this decline. grooverider is a straight up rock and roller (just check him raving about pendulum on youtube.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Third has these temper tantrums from time to time. It's best not to get sucked in as a rule. Let him vent and then move on as if it never happened is usually the best bet. He's not into clarification or explaining. It makes him angry when he's asked.

you just killed the cult lmao. you'll never understand magic.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
so your retort to me saying that i like music that combines sci fi and religion is to say you like a song that combines sci fi samples with notions of the angelic?
I chose it cos you guys iirc slated it as being the tune that exemplifies "bladerunner jungle", both literally (obv) and semiotically

(it's true that was possibly only/primarily to wind up droid, but it feels kind of like a joke that turned into a seriously held opinion)

but also, it's not a retort. and it's not about liking or disliking things (whatever you like is whatever you like, and that's great).

you're saying that science fiction without - not quite religion, but something of the divine and/or mystical - is mere fetishization of technology

I don't agree that they're so starkly divided, or that the mystical must be so literally mystical to be mystical

in the technical there are unknowable depths; in the mystical, organization and form

as the good book says (1 Corinthians 12:5) "And there are differences of administration, but the same Lord"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
magic works if you can regain back your innocence, or try to interface with that field of enquiry again. to define it is religious is just defining a value set and thereby not magic per se, it's codifying the necessary antagonist to disbelief. A zealot is a true believer only when he is not rationally conscious of the extent of his belief. once she is a conscious believer, the perpetual anxiety of: 'what if this is all a load of codswallop'? rears its head again. to emerge from the depths conscious destroys the momentary specificity of magic. this is why I'm firmly power rangers rather than mother gaia. the issue here is we are all dangerously self-conscious and hence we struggle to permit for the (re)entry of the cringe, the cartoonish, the grotesque and the monstrous. if you're always sceptical there's no room for that. this is why acid is still far preferable to dmt. which just wacks you out for 5 minutes and then its over. the Tony Blair of cosmic visions, experiences, in your pocket.

Last edited:

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Unless there is a thread for cosmism in music...

Anyone heard of this group? Was searching for Vladimir Vernadsky on Youtube and this came up.

What are thoughts on psychedelic music these days? Any trends worth watching, or no?

Here is the description:

Ciolkowska have a flair for melody and a great combination of rhythmic pulse and hypnotic deep space drift. The music is mostly instrumental with some vocals in Russian. The band’s name – CIOLKOWSKA – refers to the ideas of “Russian Cosmism”, a philosophical and cultural movement that emerged in Russia in the early 20th century and was represented by Nikolai Fyodorov, Alexander Sukhovo-Kobylin, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Vladimir Vernadsky, Alexander Chizhevsky and many other philosophers and scholars.