Thirdform’s jazz jams

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
forget received rocker wisdom about led Zep being proto metal. this is the shit. like being boiled alive in a furnace whilst your brain is scraped up into sheet metal. the post-punks later on knew what was up when people like Helios Creed tried to replicate some of the angular tones in cuts like this. Germans can't be earthly spiritual, they have to atone for their military discipline.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
can a free jazzer dance? yeh sure they just have to go out there, but not tooo out, bring back some of the hard bop of yesteryear and you have dancefloor dynamite

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
gangsta trance. ill shit. the guitar is now a tone making instrument, no longer something used for obnoxious soloing. who knew the guitar could be cosmic?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bugs crawling under the skin.. that buzzing nag nag nag which you just can't get rid of. tossing and turning. feeling like your body is aabout to fall apart at any minute. sloppy. pure momentum no cosmic visions. just hardcore.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the shamanistic voodoo drum circle of a future gallactic civilisation of senobites... extremely elliptical. always folding in and then expanding.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
love how the strings are playing in different timings yet cohere into a mathematical whole. the best synthesis of avant-classical and jazz for me. better than Mingus even perhaps. Ornette was more of a pioneer than people give him credit for.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well ive done my bit. 🔫

should take you a few hours over the next few days. listen to them fully and then begin to comment. one can do it after every piece. for instance you can listen prince lasha album then comment. none of that 3 minute cheating bizniz tho.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if you're gonna share tunes be nice and comment on mine first. don't just cum into my eyesocket, it's very rude and inconsiderate!

sadmanbarty

driving ruffskool soul. unifying the dialectic. an uplifting terroristic proto hardcore stomper.

my go-to metaphor for mccoy's playing is the sea. his left hand like big fuck off waves crashing down on you. the oceanic force that you're unable to resist. it renders you miniscule. it's poseidon music.

this one's in 3, which he did a lot in the 70's and it really reinforces the tidal quality of his playing.

sadmanbarty

can a free jazzer dance? yeh sure they just have to go out there, but not tooo out, bring back some of the hard bop of yesteryear and you have dancefloor dynamite

that drumming style is very much as 70's and beyond thing. that thing of the constant snares laying out the tempo. the earliest example i can think of is tony williams on miles' 'petit machins'. i find it very disembodied or almost like limbs ascending from your body and just floating away.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that drumming style is very much as 70's and beyond thing. that thing of the constant snares laying out the tempo. the earliest example i can think of is tony williams on miles' 'petit machins'. i find it very disembodied or almost like limbs ascending from your body and just floating away.

right. it's not a rashied ali, it's not a totally flailing thing, it still has some composure. but it's not as streamlined as later jazz funk. incidentally jungle goes back to this type of the drumming through the break choppage where it isn't the drum break (as in big beat or nu skool breaks) but the snare in the drum break which marks the tempo. you have to unconsciously chop relative to snares if you want to chop. there isn't really any other way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bliss is correct that the jazz that the jazz junglists were invoking was jazz as flava not process. amentalism is far more jazz as process.

sadmanbarty

right. it's not a rashied ali, it's not a totally flailing thing, it still has some composure. but it's not as streamlined as later jazz funk. incidentally jungle goes back to this type of the drumming through the break choppage where it isn't the drum break (as in big beat or nu skool breaks) but the snare in the drum break which marks the tempo. you have to unconsciously chop relative to snares if you want to chop. there isn't really any other way.

i was going to compare it to jungle, but thought it might be too much of a stretch.

but listening to the woody shaw and the remarc back to back though, it is very similar. snares replacing cymbals as the main propulsive component of the music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well that's us being in possession of the answer to the riddle of the history of the decline of jungle isn't it. why did it decline? because ultimately snares are hard work to dance to for most punters, they require a certain type of heavy-on-the-beat calibration whereas cymbals just mark, they don't really pound, rush, crinkle, syncopate, etc etc.

When I told this to droid that people couldn't dance to jungle at the big raves he sort of 'haha mate don't be silly' ridiculed me, but you look at a lot of ravers outside of london and the main crowd until jump up came around was a happy hardcore leaning thing, where the kickdrum was the forward momentum. fairly unaccented.

of course, if you're from the balkans and the middle east you don't have this problem, the downbeat on the darbuka is merely the foot, it isn't the sole augmentation.

catalog

Some great stuff in this thread, I've weirdly just been reading 'black music' by LeRoi Jones and so had jazz on the mind. He mentions someone called I think Wilbur ware who sounds interesting.

catalog

Towards the end they were a bit less in theway, but i was already lost by then. Maybe i need two hours of it.