IdleRich

IdleRich
In some ways the worst thing for the government is if drags on for a few days and then he still has to resign. Clearly that ought to happen as he said nothing substantial to change the narrative and some of it (driving to test the eyesight) was a clear lie.

Leo

1) Cummings has dirt on Boris and co.
2) Cummings does all the work and they're terrified of being without him.
3) The Republican-esque strategy they're following of refusing to accept anything they don't like falls apart if they give in to the press.
4) They're incapable of shame.
5) Perhaps all of the above?

yeah, gotta believe he knows where all the bodies are buried. that's some pretty good insurance.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think Cummings is fucked surely? The Mail has a headline telling him pretty much to fuck off.

I almost see it as more likely that in a few months we'll have a new PM but Cummings will still be in place. Even if he has to be sacked from this particular role to satisfy public outcry they'll just invent another, basically equivalent job for him. That seems to be what 'sacking' amounts to these days.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm surprised they haven't done that already... just fired him and got his advice via phone or whatever. Surely it's not worth him being the story for so long when they could do that.

catalog

I think this is a good encapsulation of everything, I feel like there's a lot of strands going on. Someone could make a decent long read or 6 part series out of it.

catalog

It's like Diana, that feels like a comparable mood? In months to come, will people be like, what went on then?

catalog

He's definitely an entitled twat and he also represents a side of English Ness that a lot of the tory base clearly despise

catalog

I don't think he's got dirt BTW, I think Johnson is just indebted to him, and thinks what he did is fine.

catalog

I'm reading the matt colquhoun book on Mark Fisher atm, and I've prob got this a bit wrong, but he talks about the failure of modern democracies, that you've no voice, just the opportunity to exit, thats it. That's what this is: oh you don't like how we've behaved? Well tough tits, if you don't like it, leave, this is what we are. That's the attitude

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The mob baying for blood is something, what's that about?
Perhaps people who voted Tory to make Brexit happen in order to strike back at that dreadful liberal metropolitan elite are starting to wonder about the legitimacy of this government's anti-elitist credentials.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
With hindsight, the baby-sitting or carer line was a yes-no - it riffs on every parental emotion & the logic flow that arises. The need or cause.

Due to his prominence, every possible childcare requirement would be covered. Equally, Cummings would have a police protection team 24/7, all his immediate family & friends would've been screened by domestic & military intelligence services. All immediate f&f would also be the focus of foreign intelligence services, add corporate, criminal & individual hacking attempts. There is a very secure bubble around the man.

The need masks the intention. His home has been targeted, ie London isn't safe etc. He's not that clever. They have to front the lie out. Like Kim Philby taught, deny everything even when faced with clear facts to the contrary. He should be made to work on a Covid ward in the north east.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't think it's that he "has dirt" on Boris - that kind of thinking relies on the past and has kinda crude blackmail connotations.. I think it's more that he is central to their vision for Brexit/post-Brexit. They're in the middle of a project, let's not sack the project manager. What that exactly looks like who knows, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people who're in place ready to leverage it into power, money and influence. So I guess keeping him in place is keeping all this hidden architecture online.

As to whether this will be beneficial to us plebs, well we've already seen his concern for public health affairs.

catalog

I concur with Danny. He has most likely made himself completely indispensable, essentially sold the party a vision and is halfway through, and his prophecies have come true so far, and the others literally don't know what to do without him