Cringeworthy

version

I often find enthusiasm embarrassing and have to keep myself in check and suppress the temptation to sneer. I think it's partly to do with vulnerability. If you commit to something like that you open yourself up. You're going out on a limb in a world of axemen.

version

Totally, but I still get embarrassed and delete some of my posts. Not as much as I used to, mind.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It never even crossed my mind to do that until I saw you do it version. Now I do it all the time. Some eternal sunshine shit.

version

:crylarf:

Craner was apparently known for it too.

I don't know if we're all doing it for the same reason, but there's this impulse with me to tidy up. If I don't like the way I've said something or the post strikes me as messy or seems kind of lame reading it back then I'll want to delete it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I do that a lot. Probably deleted more than remains extant. Might delete this. For me, it's the anxiety of rolling out your tongue to blow a raspberry only to realise it's all furry and wrinkled. Roll that sucker back in before anyone sees.

Delete away, my good man!

version

It's incredibly tempting to delete the jokes that don't land, the arguments lost, and present an image of infallibility, but it doesn't really work anyway as the stuff you think makes you look good could well make you look like a tit to someone else.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He actually did it! The madman!

Quite tempted to take a screenshot of my quote of his post and have it engraved on a plaque of some kind of indestructible alloy that will be discovered by alien archaeologists billions of years from now on the charred remains of this planet and give them something to puzzle over.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does anyone else think 'Cringeworthy' sounds like the name of a fictional village in Sussex in a not-particularly-funny satirical novel about, I dunno, class and stuff I guess?

Last edited:
Does anyone else thing 'Cringeworthy' sounds like the name of a fictional village in Sussex in a not-particularly-funny satirical novel about, I dunno, class and stuff I guess?

Yes, it was written by Jonathan Coe but, mercifully, he deleted it.

Someone clever could mine the archives and create an unDissensus of everybody's deleted posts. That would be well futile.

version

I'd say Curb Your Enthusiasm takes the cake. There've been moments where I've seriously questioned why I'm putting myself through such intense second hand embarrassment.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd say Curb Your Enthusiasm takes the cake. There've been moments where I've seriously questioned why I'm putting myself through such intense second hand embarrassment.

That kicked it off stateside. Over here it was The Office.