Cringeworthy

version

There's probably an argument for Seinfeld kicking it off stateside. It's not as relentlessly embarrassing as Curb, but a lot of it's based around social awkwardness.

On some level I think the avoidance of cringe limits strange and beautiful things emerging

Corpsey mentioned taste earlier. I think tastefulness is very limiting. Masculinity is very limiting. This forum is full of frightened little boys who are worried about taste

version

Very few people outside of Dissensus are gonna view liking both drill and Paula Abdul as good taste.

you answered the easy one!
Cringe is increasing alongside the disparity between our new-found curated social profiles and our (shrinking?) internal selves.

As we dematerialise and externalise, it's more and more difficult to find the way back to our private identities, and so cringe could be a way to detect when the disparity is too great to sustain, or a route back to where we left our 'real' personalities, or a sign that a bit has dropped off?

is the antidote is to deal with people who know both sides of those identities? not just online, but also with other projected fake identities, like the 'work' persona - always a scene of concealed urges & secretive off-the-books happenings - which could trigger cringe as well as bigger repercussions, like getting sacked

fragmentation of self. The internet allows for experiments and reinventions with different audiences and it can be cringeworthy when they don’t cohere, cringe as a shame-response to restabilise.

The US office isn’t as painful as the uk version, it’s more chirpy, upbeat, actually fun, gags, and also less believable. The UK one is oppressively dull most of the time, lots of nothing happening, the least believable scene (and annoyingly most famous) is the dance

I wonder what was really cringeworthy in victorian times, or across different cultures. How do cringeworthy things begin to change culture. Trangressing norms can repeatedly is a way to make new norms, a form of normalisation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Trump's norm transgressive behavior also seems to be particularly appealing, because of the expressed repulsive emotions it causes."

This, I think, is also where is reputation (at least among supporters) as being a "straight-talking guy who tells it like it is" comes from - in contrast to the fact that, even by the standards we've come to expect from politicians, he is egregiously dishonest and is scarcely capable of opening his mouth or picking up his phone without coming out with a whopper.

There's also the interesting fact that, very occasionally, he bluntly tells a truth where an Obama, a Clinton or probably even a Bush would have lied, such as saying (in so many words), "No we're not going to suspend relations with the Saudis because they're too important to us as allies in the Middle East" after they had that journalist brutally murdered.

version

"Trump's norm transgressive behavior also seems to be particularly appealing, because of the expressed repulsive emotions it causes."

This, I think, is also where is reputation (at least among supporters) as being a "straight-talking guy who tells it like it is" comes from - in contrast to the fact that, even by the standards we've come to expect from politicians, he is egregiously dishonest and is scarcely capable of opening his mouth or picking up his phone without coming out with a whopper.

There's also the interesting fact that, very occasionally, he bluntly tells a truth where an Obama, a Clinton or probably even a Bush would have lied, such as saying (in so many words), "No we're not going to suspend relations with the Saudis because they're too important to us as allies in the Middle East" after they had that journalist brutally murdered.

His lack of shame completely short circuits the usual lines of attack. I remember seeing Bill Burr on Conan a few years ago saying what Trump's shown is that if you just say "Yeah, and?" rather than apologising then nothing really happens.

Leo

yeah, I vaguely recall he even said something like "they buy a lot of arms from us", essentially justifying it. admitting they've done horrendous things but they are a big customer so we give them a pass. no one else would even have the stomach to say it, never mind get away with it. and he basically did get away with it, most people forgot about Khashoggi a month later.

I'm telling' ya, trump's an evil genius. lazy, juvenile, bumbling, lucky and not particularly bright, but an evil genius.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm telling' ya, trump's an evil genius. lazy, juvenile, bumbling, lucky and not particularly bright, but an evil genius.

I think he has a genius for two things: whipping up a crowd of people who are culturally and morally fairly similar to him (I would have said "ideologically" but I don't think the collection of positions he holds adds up to anything as coherent as an ideology - to the extent that he holds any positions at all, except what is most advantageous to him and his family at any given time), and knowing exactly how far he can bend the rules and how flagrantly he can break the law without getting bumped off by a rival or put in jail.

So what are some memories that you still cringe at? Strangely some of the things that haunt me aren’t objectively that bad.

Years ago I was walking out of the office of a shitty marketing job after a half-day on a Friday to head to amsterdam with a friend. On my way out through an open plan area an older colleague asked me where I was off to, probably six or seven people watching on. I told him amsterdam, then for some reason went into a strained small talk explanation of what we were going for... “it’s a lovely city to see by bike y’know, nice universities and that…” and in anticipation of them thinking it was about drugs (it was about drugs!) I said “it’s not about the…” and did the finger and thumb to mouth sign for smoking a joint. A kind of a nervously delivered joke that showed it definitely was “about the...👌.” Everyone just looked on a bit baffled and nodded in silence, and I went red, “anyway see ya!”

It doesn’t seem bad written down but it scarred me. Maybe because it was uncharacteristic of me to attempt to cover something up like that, especially to people I didn’t even care about, and also because of the botched delivery. The memory still intrudes at random points, i’ll be out walking and remember and stop and look to the sky like fuuuuck thaaat.

sufi

lala
retrospective cringe is a strong thing - there are definitely some past incidents the memories of which can still make me actually physically shrivel, even years and years on.
I can't quite bring one to mind right now because ... i can't bear to