RnB Singers Voices

sadmanbarty

Just their voices. Not their songs. Just the voices themselves.

Which are you favourites? How do they sound? What do they do to you?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'll hold off on the ones I do like unreservedly to get straight to the nub of

Chris Brown's voice

I both really like and really hate his voice, and I dunno if it's because I know he's a revolting person IRL.

It's all sickly sweet and autotuned and usually I'd probably like that but because I know it's Chris Brown it's actually sickening

craner

Beast of Burden
TLC had the perfect formula: T-Boz's charismatic husk and Chili's soft, smooth croon interspersed with Left Eye's raps.

sadmanbarty

brandy's delicate rasp is other worldly. haunting to the point it's apparitional.

she's amazingly versatile though. that kiddy voice.

then something more bassy and muscular as well.

sadmanbarty

chilli and t-boz have that nasal quality. jackson has it to a lesser extent. jumps out of a mix i'd imagine.

t-boz does proper gorgeous backing vocals though. waves of silk.

sadmanbarty

ashaniti's voice is a bit technically rubbish, but it's great. like a juicy mango. a proper simple pleasure.

his whispery ones are gorgeous, but i don't know if it's just because they're on pretty songs

sadmanbarty

beyonce's voice is awful. really shrill. a complete misreading of mariah. just some bird screaming her head off. horrible. garish.

kelly on the other hand. astounding.

catalog

Cassie on me and you, that's a great voice, I think it must've been treated in some way? Very cold/clean/surgical almost. It's got that reflective tone I like.

craner

Beast of Burden
This was a uniquely masculine performance by Toni Braxton. Nobody could quite get their head around it at the time but everybody loved it too.

sadmanbarty

actually these destiny child song's are structured perfectly for the three vocalists.

there's a maximalism to them, which means beyonce's not so offensive. she comes out up front and beats your ears into submission, kelly then gives us what we want and then the third bird's great at doing these left of field things at the end. switching it up. she acts as a guitar solo or something. she's amazing on survivor

sadmanbarty

"i'm not going to compromise my christianity" makes me want to launch a crusade. its powerful. speaks to something deeply engrained in me.

Agree on Cassie in me & you. Someone here mentioned Aaliyah having a slight menace to her voice and I like that. The Weeknd has some of that but too much at times

One of the things I like and find a bit sinister about the weeknd when he’s good, is a sense of him lying even when he’s at his most maudlin and sincere and confessional, he’s still stuck in this pained and sometimes cliched performance. And the fact he’s such a good impersonator of MJ, pharell adds to this effect.

This writer puts it context of the online self...
Contemporary internet behaviour is characterised by one-way conversations, bleats for attention and validation, and a back-and-forth between braggadocio and regret. All of which sum up The Weeknd’s in-song exploits. Even his XO label/crew was named after the internet’s favourite insincere sign-off. In fact, the masks The Weeknd abuses on Trilogy (drugs, drink, sex) and the masks we all assume online are not that far removed. All encourage an exaggeration of one aspect of ourselves; a self-destructive self-parodying that wears thin over time. Just like The Weeknd, we know what we’re doing but we can’t stop