Cut adrift

version

droid's point re: nerdy being a mindset rather than a particular set of interests is a good one, but even that seems more acceptable now. I don't think anyone's gonna call people who are obsessed with the Kardashians or Love Island nerds, but that sort of intense interaction with something is nerdy. If someone can reel off the names, spouses, interests, businesses etc of the Kardashians like someone else might superheroes and their powers then the area of interest is perhaps the only real difference between the two.

mvuent

Void Dweller
anyways i guess my point was that it's not as simple as jocks = material world and nerds = online, because everyone's online. nerds, particularly the kind described in the OP, flock to some kind of more specific online space.

the frustrating thing about reddit is how uncreative it is given all the nerd energy. twitter, tumblr, and even 4chan have way more interesting artists. people on reddit are mostly slavish, common sense-abiding imitators. their idea of creativity is to turn a three year old meme into a card game (with exactly the same jokes that were made at the time).

It's a useful resource but I know what you mean. I think there's a reddit person, a reddit type. Obviously nonsense but it's there.

Simon silverdollarcircle

The evolution of music festivals is one example of what we're talking about in this thread. Much more common, even standard now, to have music festivals with yoga, Pilates classes, health food, beautiful people.

This new emphasis on healing and purification as opposed to getting fucked and having fun.

Or may be this actually isn't a new phenomenon at all. "California Uber Alles" is about this exact thing reallt
But it does seem to accelerating and becoming ever more monolithic

Again, rob horning and new inquiry do good stuff on these shifts, alienation with new technologies

https://thenewinquiry.com/fitted/

In the Republic of FitBit we are fundamentally alone.

“In the future, all products will be made for a market of one,” the Economist wrote in 2009. In New York and San Francisco, the two cities where I spend the most time, the fulfillment of this prophecy seems well under way. It is not unusual to see three or four boutique fitness studios within a city block. As a device designed to cajole and harass you personally, FitBit capitalizes on this trend of winnowing fitness markets down into narrower and narrower niches. It takes the just-for-you ethos of a place like Crossfit and scales it.

Isolation is literally a technical requirement of the FitBit. From the point of view of the tracker, all activity is inherently solitary and accrues to you alone. The device produces a complete archive of our lives by abstracting them from any and every context. This includes geospatial coordinates. The accelerometer measures only changes in speed relative to the stable external frame provided by your body. Taking an escalator will not increase your daily stair count. Taking a plane from New York to New Zealand, you travel no farther than the length of the aisle you walk to the bathroom. We travel best on treadmills rather than from armchairs.

In the process, FitBit affects not only to how we experience our bodies but how we experience space. FitBit’s television ads start with a shot of a man setting out for a jog before dawn, headlamp on, and then goes into a rapid fire montage of dozens of other people doing dozens of other workouts. A male voice sings an upbeat song at a sprint, à la the verses of REM’s “It’s the End of the World As We Know It”: Early fit, late fit, rise fit, ball fit, wall fit, ping fit, pong fit, ping fit, pong fit, row fit, slow fit, ollie fit, oops fit, otis fit, this fit, that fit… It finishes with the tagline: “FIND YOUR FIT.”

Simon silverdollarcircle

Yeah if things are all about wellness and healing and puroty now I guess the question is whats the sickness?

And I think the sickness probably is the banality and also the isolation mentioned in that piece. Which is also sold as the cure, so we go round and round.

I mean this is all cos I hate gyms obviously. I'm not an impartial and fair minded observer.

Simon silverdollarcircle

I take it you're a regular at those sober morning raves

A mate of mine (genuinely, it wasn't me) started to go those "Morning Glory" sober raves for city workers and he showed me the promo blurbs they were sending out. It was properly wild,really evangelical and cult like. Probably the most interesting thing about it really. The people that run it seem really...damaged

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm an open-minded guy, I try not to judge, I don't really believe in absolute morality and I think that everyone can pretty much do whatever they want as long as it's not hurting anyone else.... that said, the idea of having early morning sober rave parties for people to go to before work is morally, ethically and mathematically wrong and wrong in any other way that things can be wrong. It is an abomination that threatens everything that is of value and that we hold dear and it must urgently be stamped out and the ground burned and sterilised so that the infection cannot spread.

I'm an open-minded guy, I try not to judge, I don't really believe in absolute morality and I think that everyone can pretty much do whatever they want as long as it's not hurting anyone else.... that said, the idea of having early morning sober rave parties for people to go to before work is morally, ethically and mathematically wrong and wrong in any other way that things can be wrong. It is an abomination that threatens everything that is of value and that we hold dear and it must urgently be stamped out and the ground burned and sterilised so that the infection cannot spread.

If the rage got the better of you and you were gonna go in there with a wee knife I don’t think I’d stop you