version

They accepted him with no questions. He thought of himself, there and here, as a radio transmitter of some kind, and believed that whatever he was broadcasting at the time was at least no threat to them. In his electro-mysticism, the triode was as basic as the cross in Christianity. Think of the ego, the self that suffers a personal history bound to time, as the grid. The deeper and true Self is the flow between cathode and plate. The constant, pure flow. Signals -- sense-data, feelings, memories relocating -- are put onto the grid, and modulate the flow. We live lives that are waveforms constantly changing with time, now positive, now negative. Only at moments of great serenity is it possible to find the pure, informationless state of signal zero.

"In the name of the cathode, the anode, and the holy grid?" said Pökler.

"Yes, that's good," Mondaugen smiled.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Well this gets at it - a sort of computational spirituality. I wonder what religious prospects exist here, in identifying as a processor-at-essence.

Fleeting gaps in the throughput (lacunae of sanhkara) would be a kind of nirvana.

Haven't gotten to Pynchon yet.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Anyone have any thoughts on disciplinarity?

What kind of topic warrants a discipline established/instituted around it?

How do disciplines negotiate their boundaries with neighboring disciplines?

What occasions the begetting of subdisciplines? Epistechnic schism/fission?

Inversely, what occasions the coordination, or even merging of disciplines? Epistechnic fusion?

The reason I'm pushing all this is because I think once we get a deep enough understanding/fluency regarding how we structure our modes of knowledge, it could expedite some kind of paradigm shift (I use that term rather loosely - but I do mean a drastic qualitative change).

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Inasfar as it would be about feedback loops, then yeah petty much. The only thing that would distinguish it, as far as I can tell, would be that it is also about ends in themselves, self-causation, and the like - although one could probably sniff out the cybernetics there as well.

In any case, it could be useful if one were to focus on finding some universal principles of self-causation, bootstrapping, ends-in-themselves, etc - and finding universal principles seems to be rather classical, for better or worse.

One way ouroboros aligns with what I'm talking about, beyond circularity, is that it substantiates itself, it is its own meat, in a recursive way. That is, at any slice of its body, there is, within it, an infinite series of nested thinner slices. Sort of a spiral, in that sense.