Dissensus Coronavirus Hub

constant escape

winter withered, warm

Thank you for this.

From that source: "the team only looked at data from individuals whose symptoms were severe enough to require hospitalization, not those with mild symptoms that responded to home care."

That said, as far as I know there could very well be a correlation. Haven't looked through their paper yet, but this doesn't seem like a theory that can be completely disregarded as coincidence (although perhaps it largely is).

And yeah, I suppose knowing this would help. It would allow people to better prioritize exposure/treatment/etc, even within a narrow window. Could be better than treating it as if there were no such indications/associations.

---

From the paper. Provided I'm reading this correctly, they open the paper by comparing the ratios of blood types between the two groups. I can see how warrants investigation:

The ABO group in 3694 normal people in Wuhan showed a distribution of 32.16%,
24.90%, 9.10% and 33.84% for A, B, AB and O, respectively, versus the distribution
of 37.75%, 26.42%, 10.03% and 25.80% for A, B, AB and O, respectively, in 1,775
COVID-19 patients from Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital.

[...]

Meta-analyses on the pooled data showed that blood group A had a significantly
higher risk for COVID-19 (odds ratio-OR, 1.20; 95% confidence interval-CI
1.02~1.43, P = 0.02) compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O had
a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease (OR, 0.67; 95% CI 0.60~0.75, P <
0.001) compared with non-O blood groups.

Last edited: