Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exploring Portugal

these photos are great, rich. I can almost smell the dank scent of urine (that's the way all these types of abandoned places are in the states, anyway).

Why did your mate go over the other tag? Was it cos it was a stencil?

I don't think that was the reason... I just think he didn't give a fuck and he thought his would look good there. I dunno much about this world in fact but when we were walking back he was telling me about how he had been doing it for years and years in that town and how he recognised most of the tags and knew most of the people and so on... he said that some tags you wouldn't want to go over and so on, there's an etiquette basically. So now I come to think of it maybe that one was from someone he didn't like or didn't know but I didn't put those things together cos that conversation came later on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Cheers Leo - I will put some more up then.

I know very little about the world as well, but one thing I do know is that some writers don't like people who stencil, cos they don't think it's proper, don't consider it the same thing etc. This seems to vary, and there are definitely some people who do the whole lot, spraying, stencilling, commissions etc

He certainly didn't say anything like that.

Losing track of which ones I put up but hopefully not these

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm those bottom two weren't supposed to be there... dissensus editing is all fucked up at the moment isn't it? I can't delete posts or parts of posts.

why are these places abandoned? is it old industry?

Good question... I asked my friend but he didn't know. It's kinda weird, on the edge of Almada there is a bit along the side of the water where a number of former warehouses etc have been converted into bars and stuff, but if you walk further and further they stop being bars and then they get more and more run-down and you come to what seems to be almost an abandoned village. Some of it seems residential (think that one of the pics had a bath in it) and there are tiles on some of the stairs that looks as though they belong in a house... but at the same time there are what look like big tanks and that weird wooden battering ram. There are a number of factories along the side of the estuary so it could be some sort of abandoned factory... or maybe something where there was some kind of industry but also a couple of residential bits for people to stay overnight or whatever. Actually I'm gonna look it up. I think it's been abandoned for quite a while that's for sure, they are seriously being eroded by nature. Apparently they used to have parties there at one point predictably enough.

Near Povoa on this side of the river there is a huge abandoned industrial spot... that's clearly factories or warehouses or whatever, I think they just moved that industry elsewhere. The one by Almada is more intriguing cos the buildings are smaller and harder to categorise.

I did take a load of pictures near Povoa last year but I dunno where they are now.

Love this thing which reminds me of the Wicker Man every time I walk past it

WickerTwo.jpg