After the lockdown ...

luka

Similar thing with the plan for a mortuary in Hyde Park. Some provision for the corpses, less provision for keeping people alive.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Sunak said the state would pay grants covering up to 80% of the salary of workers kept on by companies, up to a total of £2,500 per month, just above the median income."
So if you are let go... fired, made redundant etc then you are fucked. And if you are unemployed or free-lance or whatever then it's not even speaking to you. I mean, it's something but it's nothing like a UBI is it?

luka

You can manufacture or buy ventilators but you can't manufacture doctors and nurses.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@Rich - no, nothing like it. so many gaps, but it pleases the crowd

i would hope that many people made redundant this week (and i've heard a few personal stories already) will be reinstated after this. otherwise their employers are cunts beyond compare, given that they will get free money for three months.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You can manufacture or buy ventilators but you can't manufacture doctors and nurses.

nope, especially not when they start going off sick or having breakdowns. The lack of testing for NHS staff is vying for the craziest part of all of this

luka

The problem with testing for NHS staff is a) is the test reliable? And b) more importantly you can contract the virus 10 seconds after taking the test.

luka

But at least you can get carriers out of the way so they don't infect all their colleagues

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
and their families, and other patients in the hospital not with coronavirus. As well as giving people the sense that they are not just fodder and might actually be valuable - and by god they're going to need mental fortitude in the weeks ahead. Also it might be a gateway to wider testing I suppose, but unclear

dunno about test reliability tho.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-20...nhs-staff-for-coronavirus-available-in-weeks/ good news, but hey, a bit late

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
i would hope that many people made redundant this week (and i've heard a few personal stories already) will be reinstated after this. otherwise their employers are cunts beyond compare, given that they will get free money for three months.
That's what I was thinking about... if you were fired yesterday you might be a little peeved about the timing. Sure if you are a company that was about to fire someone then you simply must hold off for three months of course...

luka

To get back to the thread topic there's going to be a huge and vicious attempt by the rich to claw back their losses. On the other side there is going to be met with huge and unquenchable anger, not just towards indiviudal baddies, but towards the system itself.

Maybe even using the word rich is misleading as it will include fairly small landlords and business owners. I hope that they can be utterly destroyed and we can begin again on a completely new basis, with a renewed and visceral appreciation for what is important.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I hope so, not feeling optimistic about that at the moment, but it's the good fight

like has been said a lot, all the talk about rent and mortgage holidays has hopefully got a lot of people thinking about why the fuck we are paying these parasitic bastards in the first place. and about which jobs in society are actually productive and worthwhile, and what the point of jobs might be.

Last edited:

catalog

I think there might be new religions. If there are big changes, if it goes on for some time, a space will open for the spiritual. This is what happened with ww2 and scientology. Rigorous audit of self i guess you could say is its core. What would the core of a new religion be? It would be a reaction, i think, to the wellbeing agenda, which as lots of people have said, is old religion without god.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think there might be new religions
maybe

the aftermath of the Black Death seems to have gone both ways, renewed piety vs disillusionment and a shift to focus on temporal life

there will always be new religions - more broadly, new beliefs - as the same unanswerable questions will always exist

this will create lasting changes but barring a huge jump in lethality - it kills a billion people - I don't see that kind of spiritual unmooring

we live in quite a more mundane time. outside of people who already think that way, no one is ascribing this to the wrath of God etc.

catalog

People don't use the word God, but I would argue that a lot of the climate change agenda, for example, has what might be called a religious fervour to it. Like Greta, she is like Joan of arc.

luka

I don't think it's a remotely mundane time either. I also don't think what catalog is suggesting is out of the question at all, although Padraig I take your point that the death toll will be a factor here.

What I do think is very likely to happen is that several people will emerge from isolation having had a revelation of some sort, crackpot or otherwise. How these breed and mutate memetically could well be interesting.

luka

People don't use the word God, but I would argue that a lot of the climate change agenda, for example, has what might be called a religious fervour to it. Like Greta, she is like Joan of arc.

I know what you mean but I would also like to know what distinguishes a specifically religious fervour from any other sort of fervour.