Music Similar To 808 State's 'NewBuild' Album

mvuent

Void Dweller

like newbuild it's impossible to pin down. nothing ever stays still. no linear development, essentially zero new ideas introduced past the beginning--but everything in constant flux, spinning apart and pilling up into new variations. not progressing--drifting. bursts of sound rather than midi grids. there's no story, you're simply thrown into a fully formed sound world for several minutes.

counter intuitive angular rhythms that somehow flow perfectly.

love the cold, futuristic sound you can hear in the background of the sample "we've got so much power now". reminiscent of the brief flashes of sci fi sounds in newbuild. sometimes the most evocative touches are the most fleeting and sparingly used.

Woebot

newbuild is remarkable for its esoteric AND 'aving it vibe.

these four are more street but they have their abstract qualities.

[bartman glances down from his throne]

sadmanbarty

third brought new build to my attention because of the rhythms, they're great.

i find the 4x4 kicks a real cock softener in house and techno unless it's some bouncy strictly rhythm thing. it completely cognitively teathers it; i can't have sonic psychedelia without rhythmic psychedelia, it's a prerequisite for me.

Last edited:

luka

third brought new build to my attention because of the rhythms, they're great.

i find the 4x4 kicks a real cock softener in house and techno unless it's some bouncy strictly rhythm thing. it completely cognitively teathers it; i can't have sonic psychedelia without rhythmic psychedelia, it's a prerequisite for me.

Patty was saying earlier today that it's cos your ear isn't subtle and sophisticated enough. He said you need to listen more deeply to placement and dynamics and sound design.

luka

"What does Barty know? He doesn't get rhythm. He's not sensual. When it comes to the art of house drum programming, you can't beat the US. It's the hi hats and the snares. Placement. Timing. Dynamics. Sound design. So much finesse. Different level of sophistication. Tell him from me he don't know fuck all about beats."

Pattycakes

sadmanbarty

"What does Barty know? He doesn't get rhythm. He's not sensual. When it comes to the art of house drum programming, you can't beat the US. It's the hi hats and the snares. Placement. Timing. Dynamics. Sound design. So much finesse. Different level of sophistication. Tell him from me he don't know fuck all about beats."

Pattycakes

bastard

Woebot

thought i'd have another stab at this. might have been guilty of missing the very obvious tunes similar to "Newbuild" - maybe barty doesnt know this stuff? maybe i'm assuming too much?

lots of armando - the purest nastiest acid