Teach me about....

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
We don't read what people write, we alight on this or that word and fill in the blanks ourselves. We hear assumed intentions and not what is actually said. We don't wait for the stimulus to reach us, we preempt it before it reaches its target define it and calcify it.

Narcissistic enemy/no way to kill it. Caged rats seeking dopamine hits. 'I agree with this *like!*' 'I disagree with that *cancel!*' binary echo chamber. Are we any better than that? Can anyone can be arsed to strive to be? Talk about it? Sure. Streams of data writhing their way through diseased bodies like weeds weaving honey coated roots. Are we buying what's being sold anymore? Is any of it convincing? Ulterior motives.

luka

I think it's worth trying to get out of that, if not in our lives then here, and if not in all the threads here, then in one of them. As an exercise and a way to practice. We have our moments, but it's hard to sustain.

We really cling to our tastes. We'd like to think we are our tastes. And we like to think we choose, but they're produced too, it's more impersonal than we admit. I think this is changing by generation, i think we're now starting to move from a fixed state to shapeshifting, enjoying the transgressions and shifts

'perception as self-development' under capitalist logic gets translated to identity through consumption. In a world where self-understanding and actualisation is prioritised, any event or thing or experience is very quickly transmuted into cultural capital... what is this saying about me? how does it threaten my sense of self? or is there an opportunity? how might i react to this in a way that makes me look interesting on social media? that's almost an instinctive response now

What do you mean by correct? Ethical? I don’t know. I think that reflex colours our experience of art, news, events etc. If you want to understanding these culture wars to get us to a more nuanced or poetic way of thinking and feeling through the world then that’s gonna be a baddie you have to fight

luka

I'm wary of the word capitalism getting waved around as a justification for impotence and fatalism that's all. That kind of depressive stuff we need to torch completely

I'm wary of the word capitalism getting waved around as a justification for impotence and fatalism that's all. That kind of depressive stuff we need to torch completely

what about neoliberal subjectivity? It’s all being torched by coronavirus anyway

im using a more specific term for the conditions the discerning and anxious self is operating under. The ‘critical and guarded’ attention you describe is honed to control and curate in an environment of shifting trends and fashions, where confidence is undermined by advertising, bodies scrutinised, desires produced, careers cancelled etc

luka

Oh right. But that's not an argument against loosening the sphincter under certain conditions, or that loosening the sphincter is beneficial for health and well being

luka

The conditions we live under have an influence over the way we experience the world, I definitely agree with that.

It could be an argument against loosening the sphincter if loosening the sphincter is about taking your own perspective and property a bit less seriously. Neoliberal subjectivity prioritises this self hygiene and preening, an uptight focus on difference, exclusion, individuality. Loosening the sphincter is about solidarity, seeing the whole

luka

Barty and Craner both say the word neoliberal should be banned cos it doesn't mean anything when people use it.

luka

I sometimes feel the same way about the word capitalism. At other times I find myself pontificating about capitalism (without knowing what it means)

luka

But what this thread is about is listening to a song. It's about how to listen to a song.