Train to Invisible City On Threads Radio at 1700 UK time today (Thursday)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Obviously recorded this mix at home yesterday. Bit kinda haphazard because (typically) one of my needles broke just before they ordered all shops closed and we couldn't replace it. So it's recorded on one turntable and sorta mixed with the speeds equalized by working out the bpm and then recording each tune one after another in a different channel. This is the second mix we did that way though and it seems that I'm getting the hang of it... actually really very pleased with this mix in fact, think it flows well from quiet/weird start and angry clanging middle and so on. Would like to know what people think if you get a chance to listen.
It's on the Threads* link on the top right of this page at 1700 UK time (1800 central european time)

https://threadsradio.com/

I'll put the tracklist up later if anyone is interested.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Here it is...

Wilson Tanner - Idle
Keller Crackers – Αιθουσες Αναμονης
Colonel Elliot and the Lunatics – Earth
Min – Black Rose
Temple Yard Studios – Take 66
Wosto – Race Days
Steril - Klinique
Andromeda Complex – The Servant
Mu – Let’s Get Sick
Stanton Warriors – Da Virus
The Horrorist – The Virus
Nizter Ebb – Control I’m Here
DAF – Sex Unte Wasser
DIE – Shake a Lil Faster
Benga – Skank
Tiga and Zyntherius – Sunglasses at Night (TGV mix)
Alter Ego – Transphormer
MOON – Hydgrogen
BSR – Qui
Spock Jr- Acid Alien (Boccaccio Mix)
Hieroglyphic Being –
Elecktroids - Checkmate

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
And now it's online so you can listen to it at your leisure (ie never) - but I was really happy with it, I recommend if you like ebm, acid, leftfield beats etc

Leo

interesting playlist, rich, only heard of about a third of these artists. the horrorist was an interesting character, was never quite sure if he was a fascist-adjacent or if was an act. and benga, there's a name out of the past. wonder how he's doing, remember he was dealing with mental health issues.

catalog

Good to see Stanton warriors in there, I saw em play in that massive spider thing at boomtown, they were a good laugh.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for looking guys. It is a kind of a randomy list I suppose cos we have to do two shows a month and I just keep digging further and further into my records to find stuff to play. It's not like I want to strictly enforce no repeats whatsoever but I don't want to play things every time and make it samey. And plus I definitely like to vary things and pick out things that I've forgotten I had and put them with things that they probably weren't supposed to be with.
That includes probably Benga and The Horrorist and Stanton Warriors. Horrorist I just couldn't get that song about creating a virus to destroy the human race out of my head for some reason so it had to go on here to try and exorcise that. I don't know that much about him, thought of him as a kind of pantomime-baddie type character, like in that One Night In NY thing (ripped off by DAVE the Drummer I think for One Night in Hackney) but I had no idea about any fascism thing. Damn it.
A lot of the more obscure things are stuff that Liza has been buying recently, sort of harsh industrially stuff I guess.

Woebot

Obviously recorded this mix at home yesterday. Bit kinda haphazard because (typically) one of my needles broke just before they ordered all shops closed and we couldn't replace it. So it's recorded on one turntable and sorta mixed with the speeds equalized by working out the bpm and then recording each tune one after another in a different channel. This is the second mix we did that way though and it seems that I'm getting the hang of it... actually really very pleased with this mix in fact, think it flows well from quiet/weird start and angry clanging middle and so on. Would like to know what people think if you get a chance to listen.
It's on the Threads* link on the top right of this page at 1700 UK time (1800 central european time)

https://threadsradio.com/

I'll put the tracklist up later if anyone is interested.

cant find it rich. can you provide a better link?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Normally yeah... every now and again there is a tune from a file but ninety percent of them are all vinyl and the ones that aren't are ninety percent vinyl.
But that might change in the future if I actually do buy a controller thing cos we are buying a few things as files these days and it would be good to be able to do something with them properly.

Leo

playing vinyl is still lots more fun but some things are just impossible (or ridiculously priced) to find. I know some people who do radio shows off their laptop and it the most boring thing, organize the playlist the day before and then just hit play. what fun is that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess there are loads of ways to do things, seems a bit sneaky to say something is live when it's not. Then again, with radio you're not exactly reacting to the crowd are you? I suppose there could be text messages or whatever.
Mainly it's just the dj who loses out by pre-recording for radio though.

Leo

yeah, I was thinking of it from the DJ's perspective, boring for them to have an entire show preprogramed.

catalog

im just listening now, i like this tune at about 30 mins with the phat bassline and the guy talking over the top. it sounds big beaty, brightony. reminds me of this brilliant richard fearless essential mix from years ago that i used to cane

catalog

i like th sounds on this tune at 1hour 46 as well, i think its hieroglyphic being, i think ive heard it before. hes got some good bendy thing going on, wher eit starts as one thing and quickly mutates so its something else by the time it finishes

IdleRich

IdleRich
i like th sounds on this tune at 1hour 46 as well, i think its hieroglyphic being, i think ive heard it before. hes got some good bendy thing going on, wher eit starts as one thing and quickly mutates so its something else by the time it finishes
Probably yeah... that should have been the end really but I miscalculated slightly, had to stick on that extra one at last minute... thanks for listening!

catalog

cool i'll check the horrorist further, nice one. ive just let it carry on now, its gone onto some other threads thing now, harrta, which is also pretty good mix

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah, I was thinking of it from the DJ's perspective, boring for them to have an entire show preprogramed.
Though just for the avoidance of doubt both of these "shows" are really just mixes. Normally East Side Radio is recorded live from their studio, but obviously this month they can't do that and I guess it would be a logistical nightmare to try and do it live from everyone's home so they just asked for mixes. With Threads we always just send in a mix cos their studio is in London (and maybe one in Berlin too) - we used to record some vocals over it and make it sound more like a radio show but Liza was totally unenthusiastic about it and eventually just refused so we just end up sending them mixes really. Personally I'd rather do it like a radio show with more talking and a feeling for listeners of who is doing it, but there you are.

Leo

I have connections to longtime freeform radio station WFMU and they aren't allowing anyone into the station building (except for a skeleton crew of a few engineers), so all of the DJs with weekly shows are now doing them from their homes. I'm not a tech person but apparently it's not that complicated: some streaming software and a mic, played off a playlist on the computer. if you want to get fancy and use turntables and CD players, it gets more complicated with a mixer. also need to plug directly into the modem, wifi too unsteady. also works better with two laptops, but that would make my head explode.

Last edited: