It’s true. And then they’re gaslighted by people who tell them that they’re actually beautiful, in fact, everyone is! And something about beauty standards being a social construct which somehow means they aren’t real

sadmanbarty

It’s true. And then they’re gaslighted by people who tell them that they’re actually beautiful, in fact, everyone is! And something about beauty standards being a social construct which somehow means they aren’t real

in loads of adverts these days they have tons of ugly models on. people with tree trunk legs and and 3 eyes and green skin and all this.

this weird societal lie we've all decided to pretend ugly people aren't ugly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Mourinhno was a stunner although now he's starting to look like Dominic Cummings
He's a strange one though. When he arrived in UK he was a handsome bastard (yeah it's fading now) - but when you look at him younger, he was not. Or maybe it was just a lack of style I dunno. I guess everyone has their moment, some look best at school and never recapture it.

It's tricky cos you'd have to call them ugly to stick up for them
Yeah... we, I mean they don't like that.
But I always think it's odd when a film or whatever calls for an ugly model - the punchline to a joke about a blind date or the terrifying evil uncle or something, strange to be someone who embraces that and says they are an actual ugly model.
Looks are very much a part of how we judge people of course - some of us probably are suspicious of very beautiful people too although I get pissed off when I hear them complaining about that (possibly further evidence of my prejudice)

sadmanbarty

pretty people are the most boring people on earth. that's why all my friends are complete mingers. except for luke of course.

I read a good article last year which was something like “not everyone is beautiful” and was basically a feminist critique of body positivity essentially saying that it’s clear others are way more attractive and yes there are biological and geometric principles that underpin beauty and that’s fine so fuck we can place our self worth elsewhere. That’s my view on it basically

Remember that beach body ready argument years back? Thought it was daft. Why would you look to the ad industry for ethical standards. You aren’t thinking hard enough. Represent us so you can sell to us better please! Madness.

version

I find some models look distinctive rather than attractive. Their faces are sculpted, defined or symmetrical to the point of uncanny valley territory.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I find some models look distinctive rather than attractive. Their faces are sculpted, defined or symmetrical to the point of uncanny valley territory.
What about that woman who is in all the Almadovar films? They call her the Human Picasso painting or something... ugly/ beautiful can be very close.

Leo

Brazilians aren't too shabby. Saw handsome folks when in Iceland too, maybe an example of being isolated enough that the good genes get in bred and replicated. On my first visit to France many years ago, the women seemed attractive but maybe that's partly because they treated me dismissively, always want what you can't have.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually maybe I'm being a little unfair on the Portuguese. I'm letting what Liza says influence me, she is always laughing at how short people are here - and it's true there is a picture of her standing next to this girl and she looks like a giant - but that's just one thing. I don't really care about height although I understand that a lot of people do. Maybe I've just never had to think about it cos I'm a very average height.

Leo

It fucks me up when I see a really attractive woman, and I can’t interact. It’s pathetic, I’ve never learnt to get over it and I wish I could more easily.

I've known a couple of really good-looking women who have a hard time dating. They don't come out and say it, of course, but the implication is lots of guys don't bother to engage with them because they think she's out of their league, or too intimidated to try. some beautiful women are full of themselves and stuck up, for sure, but some of them are just regular, decent people (like us!) who would actually welcome the interaction.

you only hear this stuff once you're married and old, women can let their guard down when you a partnering non-starter.