Synchronicity or shared worlds or something in art

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't really know what I mean here, but it was something that was inspired in me cos we just watched Shadows, the 1959 film from Cassavetes. He's a director I know little about and I've meant to properly check out (beyond Killing of a Chinese Bookie and maybe one other) for years but somehow always been daunted by. Anyway, Shadows was really quite amazing... just real in a way that so many things aren't, especially older films (guess that ties into what I was saying about the new naturalism or something the other day), for example My Own Private Idaho was on the other day and it felt like such a bad and badly acted attempt to show that world we just lost interest half way through and drifted away from it. Anyway, Shadows was completely naturalistic (it claims to be improvised but I don't believe it is) and reminded me of the start of Uncut Gems in the way conversations drift into each other, are cut off, are confusing etc Although, like I said, Uncut Gems gradually became less and less confusing and more and more straightforward as it went, and, although this was arguably necessary for the narrative, it also lost something as it went. Shadows didn't do that, it stayed completely overwhelmingly real all the way through. No idea what it was about though, need to watch it again.
Anyway, my main point was gonna be that the way the conversations interacted, cut each other off and so on, it really seemed to remind me of something I'd experienced recently, and it finally struck me as having reminded me of The Recognitions - I think he was trying (succeeding in fact) to do in a film the same kind of thing that Gaddis attempted with prose in his book. And then it further struck me that both were (mainly) set in NY in the 50s, I don't know if that is significant or not. But it felt to me that these guys hanginig out drinking and fighting and talking about jazz could easily walk around the corner and go into one of Gaddis' parties - and that pleased me somehow, it seemed right and also neat. Also I guess if these guys had crossed the atlantic and waited a few years for Godard to catch up they could have walked into Bande A Part or something too but that's not necessarily so important to what I'm saying.
So, I suppose I'm asking about other artworks that seem to be in the same world as each other, cos they're both set there sure, but also cos they both work in the same way. But one could be a painting and the other a tune, or... I dunno, an opera and a sculpture, whatever. Art bleeding across the boundaries, cos of where it was made, or where it was set and how it was created. I suppose it happens a lot in scenes but better still if it's outside that.

• Love
Reactions: sus

Woebot

i found a not dissimilar thing researching all the cults around spirituality and LSD in the sixties and the way in which that was separated by a paper thin wall from the music scene

the main moment for me was discovering that the guru bhagavan das was a friend of la monte young's

luka

i found a not dissimilar thing researching all the cults around spirituality and LSD in the sixties and the way in which that was separated by a paper thin wall from the music scene

the main moment for me was discovering that the guru bhagavan das was a friend of la monte young's

And the way the Theosophists got everywhere

luka

From Ghandi to HP Lovecraft and all points in between. They were the imagination of their era.

luka

I've talked a fair bit about how conspiracy theory operates in this way too. There are progenitors and popularisers of some central ideas eg Ancient Astronauts and those are built on and elaborated by hundreds of others to form a consistent plane an ecology of alternative facts.

luka

And of course the Theosophists are central to that too. And the Theosophists in turn are indebted to the western hermetic tradition and to The Mysterious Orient.

luka

Then you have the fantasy genre. We talked about this in the 'Who Invented Elves' thread. The stock characters, the events, the worlds, are all fixed. There is no room for, no need for, no desire for any innovation. Computer games, cheap paperbacks, movies. All exactly the same world all exactly the same characters.

Reactions: sus

luka

then you have crossover events, particularly in comics. Marvel characters teaming up with DC characters. Predators hunting Aliens. Alan Moores League of Extraordinary Gentlemen does something similar by taking the whole world of Victorian popular literature as a single plane

luka

There's a more or less established taxonomy of alien species. Greys, Insectoids, Nordics etc

catalog

Good post rich. It made me think of robert altman, with what you were saying about the overlapping dialogue and so on. You might enjoy 3 women if you have not already seen it. Everyone sez nashville is his best film but i thought it was crap. Mccabe and mrs miller and the long goodbye also very good. In fact, it strikes me you might very much like the detective in long goodbye, he seems like you.

The thing about jazz in 50s NYC... this is a theme in baldwin definitely, in ‘another country’ which i just read and is excellent, would recc highly. I think its 40s, but t has this swagger about it like shadows, the mix of people (race/sex) but somehow feeling more genuine than alot of current woke stuff. Ive not read much pf him but leroi jnes aka amiri bakara might also be a good shout, cos he was a jazz critic and poet at same time, think he had famous lovers as well?

All cassavetes is brilliant, i love killing of chinese bookie the most, but woman under influence is also good a d faces as well, thats like shadows but with older ppl

luka

Computer games are great because they never present you an unfamiliar world. Everything is an iteration of already established tropes. Whether that be a post apocalyptic wasteland or a faux medieval fantasy world where dragons are born again. Every post apocalyptic wasteland is the same post apocalyptic wasteland. Each corporate-feudal cyberpunk world is the same corporate-feudal cyberpunk world.

luka

The noir universe is another. The modernist city and its articulate shadows. It's cigarettes. It's femme fatales. It's bars and it's neon.

luka

The Soho of seedy alcoholics like Francis Bacon is the down at heel, sordid counterpart to the New York you describe in the opening post. Without the vim. Without the zip. Without the pizzazz. Without the exoticism and the wealth. Without the drugs. Without the Jazz. Without the dancing.

Last edited:

luka

Victorian Britain and its fantastic steampunk counterpart. Gas lamps. Horse and carriage. Fog of course. Industry. Jack the Ripper.

luka

There is the sea. As in Conrad. As in Melville. As in adventure tales and pirate stories. Exploration. Adventure.

luka

Things where just a few cues will tell you instantly where you are and how you can expect the world to operate.

luka

Film and television especially use this shorthand to avoid exposition. They rely on our prior knowledge and experience.

luka

American police dramas. Small, cramped sweaty offices. Doughnuts. Coffee. Men leaning over desks, hands on the desk supporting their weight. Prostitutes being marched in. Giving it some sass.

luka

The American high school with its stock characters. Jocks and nerds. It's lockers of course, lined up in the hallways.