What I was about the practiced self deprecation and politeness of posh cunts is that it’s actually a way to maintain power structures, to conceal the dynamic, say in your lane, respect boundaries

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So no one here has ever had those moments where you see through yourself and your own bullshit? You realise how much you can just sidestep and uninvolve yourself from your own crap? That's what I think of when I think of "ego death". The problem is, is that then a kind of narcissism creeps in about how "liberated" you actually are which starts the cycle all over again.

This makes me think of zhao, endlessly blabbering on about how psychically evolved, liberated and unmaterialistic he was. A spiritual Trump.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I want to see people in high spirits, exuberant and showing off. That's joyous. People trusting themselves and their instincts and celebrating themselves.

So, what I tell myself, and you can tell me this is self serving and delusional, is that acting the way I do is a way to give permission to other people to behave in the same way. Do this. This is better. And the way we all act is, surely, a way of telling other people how they should act. It sets an example.

This is all well and good as long, as shiels says, there's a generosity to it. But it can spill over into a pack mentality and a need to denigrate others, which you slip into sometimes as well. Usually when you're drunk.

luka

This is all well and good as long, as shiels says, there's a generosity to it. But it can spill over into a pack mentality and a need to denigrate others, which you slip into sometimes as well. Usually when you're drunk.

If you read the thread you will see that I have talked about this already. This isn't some kind of show trial for my personality you know!

luka

The most wounding, cutting, vicious, spiteful thing you can say to a child is
"DONT SHOW OFF"
I have a very poor memory but that is something that has stuck. The shame of that. The way it pulls the rug out from under your feet. Destroys you.

Because in effect you are saying

Don't trust your exuberance. Don't trust your desire to share, to express yourself. Don't trust your expansiveness Don't trust your joy.

Shrink yourself. Hide yourself. Reduce yourself. Keep yourself secret.

You are mutilating the child's personality. It is an act of extreme violence.

Which is not to say you should never say that to your kids. Sometimes that's exactly what the little shits need to hear. But you do need to understand exactly what it is you're doing when You say that.

droid

If you read the thread you will see that I have talked about this already. This isn't some kind of show trial for my personality you know!

Im happy to set up a zoom for this purpose. I have a pro account and we can record for posterity.

luka

And the question to of what 'instinct' might mean. Which becomes ideological. And it's sensible to ask whether your beliefs on these matters are merely self serving. Or to ask if they make you a puppet of power.

What is inculcated socially? Does this serve power rather than community? Is this really just a value free inheritance of the DNA or is it something else?

I started this aborted thread called breeding a while back and it was supposed to be about this question.

What are 'instincts' where did they come from. What who put them there. Can we should we trust them?

Have social forces bred us generation by generation like dogs? Inculcating this or that instinct?

Are they just excuses we make for ourselves? Are they socially constructed with no basis in nature etc etc

luka

Should we be living by our instincts? Are they a connection with the one thing which is true and real or should we be trying to decode and disable them so we can live by what we rationally or ethically choose and affirm.... All this stuff. Important stuff. Tricky stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I have read it, and I acknowledge your acknowledgement of this.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When your ego is satisfied and stable it's an amazing feeling — presumably that's why people seek ways to destroy the ego in order to stop being depressed, because the ego is generally not satisfied and stable. It's a torment. (And a spur to action, hence artists all being massively insecure and egocentric simultaneously.)

Perhaps the ego only really stops existing when it doesn't need to exist anymore. Babies, e.g., are both entirely egocentric and egoless (they are the only thing that exists, everything is them.)

I remember when I was probably seven or eight and my older sisters had her mates around and I’d be excited and playful and she’d cut me with that one... STOP SHOWING OFF. There’s no defence against it. It’s a balance though isn’t it. You can tell the ones who never were told to stfu

luka

Well exactly, which is why I say you will need to tell them that sometimes. But you need to do it with an awareness of what is at stake.

People who never got told that should be put down for the good of society as you rightly say. They're a menace. Annoying. Eliminate them.

luka

https://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14001&page=23

I've mentioned this before but no one was biting. How much do you think the uptake of ambient is to do with the ideal of ego renunciation?

recoiling from overt aggression, lust, power dynamics and dominance, status games etc etc

I keep meaning to do a thread on the ego, slanted towards music.

http://users.compaqnet.be/cn127103/Nietzsche_thus_spake_zarathustra/III_54.html

Ending up in a position in which a lot of music is experienced as a contaminant, pollutant, germ, disease.

Trying to hold on to a hard won position of spiritual and ethical purity and needing to keep at bay all evil influence which threatens this rocky perch. I don't mean that in a mocking way. I can relate to it. I know the impulse. I'm not sure it's bad, although it's treacherous ground.

It's why I prefer not to drink.

I would class ambient music alongside clean eating in this respect. I think it's the exact same impulse

Music that assiduously avoids exciting the passions. Like not eating garlic and onion.

Last edited:

luka

Your typical teenage acid head will have a horror of rap music. It's grounded. It's in the body. It's boastful. It's stuck in the karmic net of dominance and submission. Pain and pleasure. Reward and punishment. Maya.

Metallers are often the most placid and agreeable people but indulge in this fantasy world of retribution and dominance and daft Tolkien hierarchies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It’s a balance though isn’t it. You can tell the ones who never were told to stfu

There's a constructive and healthy way to do this, isn't there, which is to make sure that the more naturally exuberant and extroverted children give the quieter and less confident ones some space to express themselves as well. So that "everyone gets a go", without going so far as to say that exuberance is bad per se.

luka

That's right Tea, that's one of the trickiest and most important things in any social group.

The other hugely important thing is to make room for the slow and ruminative because they almost always have the most interesting things to say but can get overwhelmed in a fast moving environment.

But part of that has to come from them. It can't all be a kingly magnanimous gesture. Eventually they have to make that space for themselves.

Last edited:

luka

Although usually when I was told not to show off it was in a room full of adults no other kids there