Mixed Emtotions

sadmanbarty

This genuinely isn't passive aggressive. Obviously there's been a bit of a fracas that inspired this, but it's an interesting conversation.

on dissensus at least i can think of a couple of times where the acknowledgement of humans having conflicting emotions and instincts being deemed as insulting.

that you may believe one thing ideologically or morally, but have emotional impulses that contradict that. this is what the willing for catastrophe thread and my the jooooooooooooooooozzzzz thread are about for example.

its an interesting topic, so it'd be nice if we could have a civili conversation about it.

luka

Any post that starts off with the word genuinely is disingenuous. First rule of dissensus.

luka

Sorry, I shouldn't cause trouble. This is something that obviously has cropped up on multiple occasions and led to some unfortunate mix ups. Shiels done a good post about it a few minutes ago.

luka

So the assumption tends to be, when this has caused trouble, is that this acts as a kind of cover for professing reactionary views. It's a way to have your cake and eat it. That seems to be what is behind the discomfort? Is that true Barty?

sadmanbarty

the tensions within liberalism are something the far right relishes. the weaponise it

how do reconcile a society that believes in acceptance of all sexualities or women's liberation, but also grants you the right to be a salafist?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I used to see a therapist once a week. What's great about therapy is that you can tell them about anything you felt or thought and they won't judge you for it.

Theoretically this means that you should feel comfortable telling them anything.

But you can't. At least: I couldn't.

They're a person. You want them to like you, deep down. You won't tell them everything.

Even more suggestively - you won't tell yourself the truth, always. There are some things about yourself that are so at odds with what you like to think about yourself that you simply have to lock them away in a dungeon in your brain. (Yes: DUNGEON.)

This applies outside of a therapist's office, only you have to censor A LOT earlier. Or translate into joke form so you nobody takes it seriously, but still knows about it. You have to tell someone. It's eating you up inside. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is an arena in which art batters science, btw.

I read scientific stuff about psychology. As insightful as these books are, they can never capture the actual complication involved in being alive.

Art can capture that, albeit "imperfectly".

luka

Patty, I know you won't believe me but Barty is a very nice boy. He is sincere and has a big heart. I really mean that. He wants everyone to have a good time and it upsets him that you think he is malevolent and manipulative.

luka

This is an arena in which art batters science, btw.

I read scientific stuff about psychology. As insightful as these books are, they can never capture the actual complication involved in being alive.

Art can capture that, albeit "imperfectly".

Same reason I'm not interested in the scientific study of psychedelics. I think it's a dead end. Scientists job is to make the drugs and give them to us.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Or translate into joke form so you nobody takes it seriously, but still knows about it. You have to tell someone. It's eating you up inside. Am I the only one who thinks this?

"The Mask".

It's not me who's saying this. (It is really, but I bet you can't prove it.)

sadmanbarty

kinda hard to take anything barty says as genuine tbh

i think that explains a lot of your problems with me. i'm actually very open and honest. i think the reason you feel resentment towards me or the need to often snipe or get insulted by the things i say is that you read too much into things. it'd be nice if you could get over that and we could go back to how things used to be between us. i hate having to go on dissensus every day having someone being unkind or passive aggressive about me. when i try to ask you what the problem is you always say that there isn't a problem. we used to get on so well, and i think the reason you suddenly changed your perspective about me is because you're always looking for ulterior motives in what i do.

but anyway, i was intending this thread to be free from all that negative personal stuff.

luka

i just never came across that online before. you're like a team

Our temperaments, tastes and beliefs dovetail a fair bit. I think it's fairly natural. Vim and Craner used to be a tag team on politics threads for the same reason. Nothing sinister there.

sadmanbarty

i just never came across that online before. you're like a team

when third was grumpy with you i defended you.

when people have been rude to corpsey in the past i've defended him.

if i was there when you were getting a bollocking about the rothchilds i would have defended you.

me and luke are more likely to be attacked than other users so it means that we're in that position where we need people to stick up for us more.

sadmanbarty

also there's a bit of a mob mentality when it comes to being unkind to me or luke so the users that are sympathetic to us tend to be to shy to come out and say so in the open for fear of being berated.