Dissensus Zine

The final form for the good threads, long posts and upcoming blogs

We have enough writers, editors, music journalists, artists but need a lot more diversity

We need designers and photographers

I think just digital. bi-annual html5 single page scrolling sectioned out well would do the trick (sufi said it's easy), social media bits and a newsletter so people can sign up

Slick and beautiful and futuristic and challenging design

Each issue has a theme explored through different media (writing, mixes, art, films) and genres and disciplines: criticism, satire, poetry, essays, prose, and a good breadth in tone from daft MS paint drawings and worst songs you've ever heard to the most pretentious wank you've ever read.

eg scenius and genius, pulp modernism, working class surrealism, psychedelics, dematerialisation, cringe.

Not against the idea. Seems natural to start where we’re comfortable though. How to monetise and build a media empire will come

luka

Shiels will have to embrace his role as editor. That will mean a certain amount of nudging, hectoring, harrying, pushing, demanding more and better. It will also mean setting deadlines. I look forward to seeing how he rises to this challenge and the personal growth taking on the role will engender.

I’d be happy to help edit but It would have to be a team thing including you. I think the themes naturally emerge from what’s being discussed here and it’s a matter of encouraging others to expand and refine on their ideas

luka

Shiels I want to see you being more Pro Active here. Put the wheels in motion or we will be out of our cells before anything gets done. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity but the clock is ticking. Do you want to be Rich and Famous or not?

Yes, and we’ll start with some serious engagement with the ideas put forward so far, and less of your paternalistic theatrics.

catalog

Are you thinking, for the first one, to take some of the already existing content from various threads? So the job is one of editing rather than creating, in the first instance? Would a Google Doc or similar work? where different people can drop the bits they think should be included, over a fixed period of time? Would you choose a theme for it?

catalog

I like the idea also of no credits, and something that can capture the buzz of the conversation that happens here. That's really what you wanna try to put across I think, the multiplicity of voices that occasionally come together and say something very funny, or even, shock horror, profound.

catalog

Something I thought about asking Sufi in the past, was whether you might be able to output an aggregate of all posts that have gathered, let's say, three or more likes. Not that that should be a benchmark or anything, bit it might help as a filter. Or you could do threads that are 50 pages or longer. Perhaps python could be used for this, I don't know. But it would be useful I think to start thinking of ways to filter

sufi

lala
Well, dissensus uses a standard MySQL database (and PHP). The database can be interrogated without using the PHP front end, I've occasionally run commands using e.g. PHPMyadmin (which is an online tool to manage MySQL, slightly confusingly) - I have a friend who can write those complex MySQL queries when he can be arsed
I think that python could also do that, it's fairly easy to get a copy of the database that you can muck around with without risking messing up the forum at all, though it's quite big, over 1/2GB

I had an idea that the whole database could be poured into a different home entirely as some sort of an archive, as this vbulletin php shell is not the best in many ways, but that is quite a big job (I did manage to create a "static" copy of the forum which exists as a bunch of 1000s of html files that can be accessed without the database or internet)

If we had some $$$ I know clever folk that we could pay to carry out this sort of juju magic, but that has never been the case so far :eek:

Fun and little effort is key. Keeping with the nature of zines it’d be led by a shared or contested obsession. The editor roles aren’t in copy editing but joining dots and teasing out, etting a feel for what people are circling around or where the interesting rifts are. Things can be rough and cobbled together. Ideally the engine of conversation on the forum would drive it and people would be urged to expand by others with the zine as motivation

catalog

I think probably someone does need to take charge or it might not happen, but let's keep the idea alive anyway. The dematerialisation thread maybe the best place to start in terms of content. I was actually gonna offer to make this into a zine when I started the 'zines, pamphlets etc' thread a while ago, but thought it wasn't really my place. Also ive only actually read it the once and didn't really get a lot of it, not a lot has actually stayed with me. But there was another about the psychedelic Avant Garde that was interesting.

Re the idea of using some kind of process to filter, this is purely from my own experience of making zines, I find it helps to have boundaries or limits, cos it just makes things more manageable.

Sufi, thanks for that info. I think at some point in the future, probably not now, cos I'm up to my neck in website related issues with work, it would be worthwhile to put the database somewhere and make queries on it.

sus

Well, dissensus uses a standard MySQL database (and PHP). The database can be interrogated without using the PHP front end, I've occasionally run commands using e.g. PHPMyadmin (which is an online tool to manage MySQL, slightly confusingly) - I have a friend who can write those complex MySQL queries when he can be arsed
I think that python could also do that, it's fairly easy to get a copy of the database that you can muck around with without risking messing up the forum at all, though it's quite big, over 1/2GB

I had an idea that the whole database could be poured into a different home entirely as some sort of an archive, as this vbulletin php shell is not the best in many ways, but that is quite a big job (I did manage to create a "static" copy of the forum which exists as a bunch of 1000s of html files that can be accessed without the database or internet)

If we had some $$$ I know clever folk that we could pay to carry out this sort of juju magic, but that has never been the case so far :eek:
I have had to write mega queries for work, relatively competent at raw SQL, maybe I can help with something?