Do You Support the Iraqi Resistance Movement?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Pearsall:
>I don't want to get dragged into this thread, but this is one of those great myths, that Saddam was primarily armed by the United States

i'm not sure if i do either!
;)

and that's a fine link Pearsall, i've never seen that page before.

however, is this really a myth?

most people, AFAIK, are aware that in general you can reduce the arming of Iraq in the 1980's primarily to the likes of the Soviets and the French before you have to finger Uncle Sam.

i would have thought so anyway.

just a small thought.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
scottdisco said:
and that's a fine link Pearsall, i've never seen that page before.

however, is this really a myth?

most people, AFAIK, are aware that in general you can reduce the arming of Iraq in the 1980's primarily to the likes of the Soviets and the French before you have to finger Uncle Sam.

i would have thought so anyway.

just a small thought.

Hmm, I'm not so sure most people do. There's certainly a lot of 'arming Saddam and then bombing him when he stepped out of line blah blah blah' rhetoric from parts of the Left. I think a lot of people are unaware of (relatively) how little American arms shipments were in the sum of Saddam's arsenal.

But that's by the by, I don't want to get sucked into this swamp pit of a topic. ;)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yeah those are fair points by most people i just meant 'mates of mine in England', which is hardly representative... ;)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
of course redcrescent wrote "Saddam was in power for decades (with tacit Western approval, ---support, even --- not to say weapon supplies" to be fair and so silly to query Pearsall but i assume your fine link was not directed at anyone in particular on this board?

but yeah no fair play :cool:

craner

Beast of Burden
Craner's grand apology

do I have to read and listen for you

Ok, I apologise. That was rather out of order. I'm quite ashamed.

I was menstruating, if you have to know.

I will now enforce a personal ban on the word 'Islamist' for one whole week. This is for my own good and no other reason.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
at risk of angering Oliver, can i just say

redcrescent:
>Isn't much of the instability in Algeria due to the fact that the Islamist FIS party, which had legitimately won democratic elections in the early >90s, was not allowed to actually take over the government? Or do we only accept the results of democratic elections when the results are >convenient for us?

this is true (following a first-round victory the Fis was suspended in 1992).
and Algiers was guilty of the most horrendous crimes back then.
see for example below
http://www.hrw.org/reports/1993/WR93/Mew-01.htm#P71_39546

but isn't Oliver right OTM w' his other 'Islamist' points?

i don't know.

without getting at Craner ;)
because i suppose my views on this thread would most likely be to follow him (oh and what Wrong said, and sufi too).

very confused (and didn't read thread until it was five pages old) :eek:

sufi

lala
cartooon2_120105.JPG

"elections, iraq after palestine"

from الاتحاد

sufi

lala
iraqi grafitti

120603saddam.jpg

slate.msn.com said:
SADDAM WILL RETURN!
And written underneath:
THROUGH MY ASS!

BUSH THE FATHER LIBERATED KUWAIT. BUSH THE SON LIBERATED IRAQ, THEN SYRIA, THEN IRAN. BUSH THE GRANDSON WILL LIBERATE THE WHOLE WORLD!

ANARCHY IS GOVERNING THROUGH A PARLIAMENT AND AN EXECUTIVE AUTHORITY

A THOUSAND AMERICANS, OK. BUT NOT A SINGLE TIKRITI!

DEATH TO ALL DIRTY BAATHISTS, THE TYRANTS!

LONG LIVE IRAQ! DOWN WITH AMERICA!

LONG LIVE BUSH THE BELIEVER, THE HONEST, THE HONORED, AND DOWN WITH SADDAM, THE INFIDEL, THE ATHEIST, THE UNBELIEVER!

HIS COMING WAS A DISASTER, HIS STAYING WAS A DISASTER, AND HIS LEAVING IS A DISASTER

RAISE YOUR HEAD; YOU ARE AN IRAQI!

LONG LIVE AHMAD AL-CHALABI, THE IRAQI, THE SON OF IRAQ!

CHALABI'S SHOE IS A CROWN FOR THE MALE PROSTITUTE OF JORDAN AND ALL THE OTHER ARAB TRAITORS!

DOWN WITH AHMAD CHALABI, MAN OF CATS!

CHALABI IS A REAL IRAQI HERO

CHALABI IS THE ENGINEER OF DEMOCRACY
And underneath is written:
ZIONISTS SAID THAT!

WE ARE BELIEVING MUSLIMS WITHOUT SECTARIANISM; WE ARE IRAQI PATRIOTS WITHOUT FANATICISM

OUR WEALTH IS OUR OWN, OUR OIL WILL ENRICH US IF WE CAN GET IT BACK INTO OUR HANDS

SADDAM HAS VANISHED INTO THE CESSPIT OF HISTORY

SHAME AND DISGRACE TO THE AGENTS AND TRAITORS WHO SOLD THEIR IRAQ CHEAPLY WITH THEIR OWN HONOR TO THE AMERICANS AND THE BRITISH AND THE ZIONISTS

DOWN BUSH, DOWN BREMER

ALLAH AKHBAR AND VICTORY TO THE GREAT IRAQ

THE GOVERNING COUNCIL IS A COUNCIL OF AGENTS, TRAITORS, SPIES, AND MERCENARIES

DONKEYS PISS HERE!
AND PIMPS AND BAATHISTS

ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE POST-LIBERATION IRAQ:
105 NEWSPAPERS (ALL LIES)
110 FAILED PARTIES
300 THIEVES' ORGANIZATIONS
500 UNIONS WITH NO WORK
600 HEADQUARTERS FOR PLUNDERING AND STEALING
700 MOVEMENTS WITH NO BLESSING OR GOOD
25,000 SPIES FOR THE AMERICANS
4,000 EMPLOYEES IN OFFICIAL OFFICES, ALL THIEVES
5,000 DOUBLE AGENTS FOR THE AMERICANS AND FOR SADDAM AT THE SAME TIME
2 MILLION HOMELESS FAMILIES WITH NO DIGNITY
25 MILLION IRAQIS THAT WANT TO LEAVE IRAQ
—Anonymous pavement newspaper tacked up on a wall near Medical City

THE NEW FINANCE MINISTER IS A THIEF LIKE A BAATHIST. WHERE DID 25 PERCENT OF OUR SALARIES GO, YOU THIEF?

WHERE ARE THE OIL REVENUES GOING? AND WHERE ARE THE REVENUES FROM THE HOLY RELIGIOUS SHRINES, YOU GOVERNING COUNCIL!

SADDAM ATE BEANS AND EMITTED STINKY AIR

LONG LIVE SADDAM, IN SPITE OF HIS FOOL CRAZIES!
SADDAM IS A PIMP; ASK YOUR SISTER!

DISGRACE FOR THE AGENTS OF THE AMERICANS AND ETERNAL GLORY FOR THE MARTYR OF IRAQ AND ISLAM

THE PEOPLE IN THE AL-FAHDL QUARTER ARE ALL IN THE SERVICE OF THE BAATHIST LEADER SADDAM HUSSEIN

PATIENCE, BAGHDAD, PATIENCE, SADDAM IS COMING BACK SOON
TO FINISH OFF WHAT REMAINS OF THE IRAQI PEOPLE OR TO FUCK YOUR MOTHER?

PATIENCE, BAGHDAD, PATIENCE, SADDAM IS COMING BACK SOON
HAND CUFFED, BY THE WILL OF GOD

LET YOUR HEADS APPEAR, YOU BAATHISTS. WHERE ARE YOU HIDING? IN THE SEWAGE PIPES?

IRAQ IS THE MUSTACHE OF EVERY HONORABLE MAN—The Army of Mohammed

WE SWEAR WE WILL MAKE MASS GRAVES FROM IRAQ'S LAND FOR ALL THE TRAITORS AND ALL THE AGENTS OF THE AMERICANS AND THE ZIONISTS—Army of Mohammed
WE ALREADY KNOW MASS GRAVES ARE YOUR SPECIALTY; GOD IS OUR WITNESS ON THAT

GAS MAKOO [none or unavailable] OIL MAKOO, WORK MAKOO, MONEY MAKOO, WATER MAKOO, ELECTRICITY MAKOO: WE HAVE EXCHANGED DIRT FOR A SMELL. LONG LIVE AMERICA!

INCREASE IN RATION SHARES:
100 KG. SADNESS, PAIN, AND MELANCHOLY FOR EACH CITIZEN
50 KG. WORRY, GRIEF, AND SORROW FOR EACH HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD
10 PROBLEMS PER FAMILY
4 VOLTS ELECTRICITY PER HOUSE
1 MASS CEMETERY PER CITY DISTRICT
5 RANDOMLY SHOT BULLETS PER STREET, INCREASED TO 50 BULLETS ON THURSDAYS
1 GAS CANISTER PER FAMILY PER MONTH
2 KEROSENE BOTTLES PER FAMILY PER MONTH
10 CANS OF FOOD PER FAMILY PER MONTH: VARIOUS OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN AND FULL OF DIFFERENT POISONS
NB: TRANSPORTATION COSTS ARE BORNE BY MR. BREMER
—Anonymous pavement newspaper tacked up on a wall near Medical City

EVERYONE WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT OF IRAQ, EVEN THE PORTERS AT THE SHARJAH BAZAAR

GIVE THANKS TO GOD THAT ODAI AND QUSAI WERE KILLED

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MR. BUSH, AND A THOUSAND THANK YOUS FOR MR. GOOD IRAQI BREMER

ONE SHOE OF MR. BUSH HONORS ALL THE ARABS

A PILE OF STONES IS BETTER THAN SUCH NEIGHBORS

BE FRIGHTENED OF GOD, PROSTITUTE OF JORDAN! AND YOU THE TURBANED MEN OF IRAN, AND YOU GRANDSONS OF THE OTTOMAN TURKS

TURKEY AND IRAN ARE A SPLIT TURD

SYRIA, JORDAN, AND EGYPT, A TRIO OF TERRORIST ARABS ARE LIKE SCATTERED SHIT

WOE FOR THE WINE SELLERS AND THE VENDORS OF NUDISM AND LIBERTINISM

WE DON'T WANT AN IRAQI ARMY, EITHER VOLUNTARY OR DRAFT, BECAUSE ITS OFFICERS WILL ALWAYS BE ROTTEN, INFIDEL CRIMINALS—Written on the walls of the Military Academy in Rustamiyah

DO YOU WANT TO BE A KING? JUST EATING AND SHITTING AND GETTING PAID? JUST BE AN OFFICER IN THE IRAQI ARMY THEN—Written on the walls of the Military Academy in Rustamiyah

ONE AMERICAN SOLDIER IS MORE HONORED THAN ALL THE OFFICERS OF THE IRAQI ARMY—Written on the walls of the Military Academy in Rustamiyah

A THOUSAND CURSES ON YOUR MOTHERS AND FATHERS EVERY DAY YOU CUT THE ELECTRICITY, YOU SADDAM, ATHEIST WITHOUT A WATER PITCHER [not washing himself after defecating]

A CURSE OF GOD ON THE AMERICANS AND SADDAM TOGETHER!

YES FOR SISTANI, WHO SPEAKS A LITTLE BUT SAYS A LOT.

YOU DO NOT BUILD NATIONS BY BEATING CHESTS, SADR!

HALF OF IRAQ WAS DESTROYED WHEN THE JEWS LEFT IN THE '40S, AND BY YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS, MR. SADR, OTHER DENOMINATIONS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LEAVE IRAQ. IS THE DESTRUCTION OF IRAQ YOUR PURPOSE, MR. SADR?

MUQTADA: EITHER SPEAK USEFULLY OR BE ENTIRELY SILENT!

MR. BUSH: DUNGHILLS AND CESSPITS AND MAFIA CONTROL THE PAVEMENTS. HALF OF THE IRAQIS STEAL FROM THE OTHER HALF TO LIVE ON THE DUNG HEAPS OF THE AMERICAN ARMY. IS THIS THE WELFARE AND WELL-BEING YOU PROMISED THE IRAQIS, MR. BUSH?

luka

'Finishing the job' of course entails completing the task of turning Iraq into a stronghold of Islamofascism, because that is what they have achieved thus far.

Zizek is right to say in The Borrowed Kettle that there is a kind of perverse cunning of reason governing US foreign policy such that it always produces what it ostensibly most abhors. In deposing the pragmatic tyrant Hussein, they have created the conditions for the emergence of the enemy they 'officially' most oppose (an enemy of course, as we are well aware, that they contributed to producing during the Cold War).

One thing that's interesting about the coverage of Iraq is that more or less everyone - pro or anti - assumes that the Crusaders have a clear objective and a clear motive (whether benign or malign) for their intervention there. But this seems to me far from clear. The confusing and confused conflicting rationales for the war are not a mere ideological dissimulation: they reflect the US's own lack of clarity about what their aims and objectives are. The best explanation for their intervention is neither the high-minded but totally dangerous creed - there is no more dangerous ideology in the world today - of do-gooding neo-con meddling NOR straightforward cynical expedience (they want oil). It is a desperate acting out of pain, a pain that is as much to do with wounded pride as anything else. The American belief in US superiority is properly transcendental in the Kantian sense: it is not so much a political position as the unthought presupposition of all Amerikkan so-called democratic culture. 9/11 was the first sign of that cracking (there are people in the world who don't want to be American -- that's impossible, surely), but that will seem like nothing when the US becomes a province of China in ooooh about five years max.

is the US a province of China now? some people on dissensus say Russia?

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What about it looks brilliant? (Not denying that it does I just don't know much about it.)

A friend of mine and his girlfriend are selling a house in Bristol atm and a property agent told them that a Chinese student who's currently trapped in student halls got in touch with them to say they want to move into their own house pronto and they have 1 million quid to spend.

craner

Beast of Burden
One of my best friends lives in the future metropolis of Chengdu, which is famous for its red pandas:

25245416-0-image-a-18_1582757637588.jpg