Page 102 of 767 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 11494

Thread: GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Quote Originally Posted by CFour View Post
    I doubt many 'grime heads' share the same sentiment to be honest
    As a self-professed grime head, I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ. Even though the dubstep scene occasionally get purist and snobby about grime's role in dubstep, it seems like there is still some interest in it, with JME's vocal of Tapped, Wiley's appearances on Kode 9 and Darkside sets, Wonder, MRK1, and the Plastician's albums, Tubby and the Newham Generals' dubstep leanings, and MCs like the Gens and Skepta's appearances and increasing interest in FWD nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ.
    when they work together it's magic. just like back when it was harder to tell them apart.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    As a self-professed grime head, I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ. Even though the dubstep scene occasionally get purist and snobby about grime's role in dubstep, it seems like there is still some interest in it, with JME's vocal of Tapped, Wiley's appearances on Kode 9 and Darkside sets, Wonder, MRK1, and the Plastician's albums, Tubby and the Newham Generals' dubstep leanings, and MCs like the Gens and Skepta's appearances and increasing interest in FWD nights.
    http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/07/...769367383.html

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set - has been one long dubstep boreathon.

the good news is skepta came down last week for the first time in all of 06, and apparently will be down with plastician again in the future.

can't help feeling that autumn 05 - when you'd see riko over youngsta, bossman and essentials, and target with roll deep, all in one night, and you were nobody unless you'd vocalled 'request line' - was a bit of a golden era tho, nostalgic beeatch that i am (check the flyer in that link!).

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    can't help feeling that autumn 05 - when you'd see riko over youngsta, bossman and essentials, and target with roll deep, all in one night, and you were nobody unless you'd vocalled 'request line' - was a bit of a golden era tho, nostalgic beeatch that i am (check the flyer in that link!).
    all i have to go on is the one experience because i'm on another continent. but when i was over in summer '05, the bill was n-type, geeneus, slimzee, riko, skepta, dogzilla, youngsta and crazy d. and it seemed absolutely perfect.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set
    I've heard Skepta over dubstep, and there was that Rinse show with Wiley over Kode9, but I haven't heard sets with Riko. Is there audio of him out there?

For me, Dubstep at its most "pure" is also the most boring. Still, there seems to be enough variety out there at the moment to ensure that most of the dubstep taste spectrum remains satisfied.

On the subject of grime instrumentals, Ive really been enjoying Kid Ds (dont know who he is, or anything really) First Realm EP. 6 tracks (!) and quite mellow stuff, sometimes reminding me of 2step.

simon silverdollar Guest

who's heard that grime track (spyro plays it) with the chorus that goes

"one day i went to Lidl,
    i went to shoplift in lidl
    that i got caught in lidl
    now i don't go back to lidl

one day i went to asda
    i went to shoplift in asda
    that i got caught in asda
    now i don't go back to asda'

?

pure genius. best pop-grime track for ages.
    also interesting from a sociological point of view as it's the first grime track that i know of where the MC has got a heavy african accent

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    who's heard that grime track (spyro plays it) with the chorus that goes

"one day i went to Lidl,
    i went to shoplift in lidl
    that i got caught in lidl
    now i don't go back to lidl

one day i went to asda
    i went to shoplift in asda
    that i got caught in asda
    now i don't go back to asda'

?

pure genius. best pop-grime track for ages.
    also interesting from a sociological point of view as it's the first grime track that i know of where the MC has got a heavy african accent
    Afrikanboy - One Day I went to Lidl http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=77053306

Also worth checking out the "freestyle" of him on Youtube - some hilarious lines on there.

Quote Originally Posted by tox View Post
    I've heard Skepta over dubstep, and there was that Rinse show with Wiley over Kode9, but I haven't heard sets with Riko. Is there audio of him out there?

For me, Dubstep at its most "pure" is also the most boring. Still, there seems to be enough variety out there at the moment to ensure that most of the dubstep taste spectrum remains satisfied.
    i agree any grime/dubstep interaction is great but didnt we have this whole debate about a year ago?

Fuck me that track's shit.

it is. kinda funny in places but a total gimmick tune. sounds like an overlong skit.

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set - has been one long dubstep boreathon.

the good news is skepta came down last week for the first time in all of 06, and apparently will be down with plastician again in the future.

seen jammer down there towards the end of summer.. & Newham Gens SMASHED IT last friday!!

why doesn't maximum play at fwd no more?? surely MCs would turn up then..

Has logan ever played at FWD??

oh yeah, Faction G came down for Wonder's set last friday..

fwd stopped booking people like maximum and target and bossman this year. no-one has explained (or questioned) why, which is a shame.

pure dubstep line-ups have been good for business - they're selling out once a week now, but it's made for some seriously repetitive nights down there ('ooh, is that coki's refix of sizzla again? goody').

@blackdown: the difference between discussing this now and discussing it a year ago is that last year there was plenty of interaction to celebrate, right now there ain't. it's to dubstep's detriment if its success (since jan 06) leads to the marginalisation of music that exists in a similar aesthetic and geographical place. you'd think i'd get bored of saying this wouldn't you? lol.

anyway never mind all this moaning, cos ESSENTIALS ARE BACK!!!

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/11/omg.html

simon silverdollar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    it is. kinda funny in places but a total gimmick tune. sounds like an overlong skit.
    oh come on, it's great fun!

i have a massive soft spot for this kind of silly grime. it's been gone for too long, in my opinion (bear man doesn't count as he made me feel ill whenever i heard him)