GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
From Blackdown's Pitchfork column...

Amazingly, Grime Reaper is only 16 and is at school in Croydon. He made contact with JME through MySpace-- where else-- and has since, ahem, reaped the benefits. To hear him describe his production technique, it's a highly organic process. "When I want to make a tune, I have to have the right mindstate," he explains. "When I make a tune, I've probably been at school thinking of a tune in my head then on a sly and recorded it into my phone… I find I never really remember making the tune, I'm sort of in a trance, it's weird. But I think I've found what I love doing now, its cool, music's like a drug to me, it calms me down, and has no side effects."

That is the most articulate and switched on thing I have ever heard coming from a 16 year old with a music head. And with beats like that Grime Reaper is gonna go so far methinks.

Also someone needs to bottle Croydon water and sell it on Ebay for producers. The dubstep brotherhood and Plastic, and even the girls now. Some of Goldielocks beats are sick (check out backing track she produced for Miss Odd Kidd) She's learning production at college so they are only gonna get more polished too!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
"A lot of [grime] producers seem to be making tracks with a bit of a lacklustre attitude towards structure," he continues. "It seems like all the tracks of late fit into a blueprint which is basically an 8 / 16 bar intro with no bass, straight into a 16 bar verse, followed by an 8 bar chorus which is then looped every 24 bars for 4 minutes. This is not necessarily a bad thing-- but it is when there are literally no changes whatsoever to the melodic elements of the production for the duration of the track."

That is a scarily accurate description of nearly every tune made during the "golden era" of 8 bar music. it accurate describes nearly all of Skepta' tunes from Meridian Walk to today.

And it also describes some of Plasticman's tunes rather well, such as Cha!

No changes in the melodic elements matters not to me. It just needs to have a fucking decent drop, which Cha certainly had!

That's all I care about.

And bass weight is over rated. Grime was never about bass weight. It was about the swing, vibe and skank. Bass helps. Weird blips and beeps can do it too. Doesn't matter.

As long as it isn't turgid sub-standard knock offs of Just Blaze and Kanye beats.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
"A lot of [grime] producers seem to be making tracks with a bit of a lacklustre attitude towards structure," he continues. "It seems like all the tracks of late fit into a blueprint which is basically an 8 / 16 bar intro with no bass, straight into a 16 bar verse, followed by an 8 bar chorus which is then looped every 24 bars for 4 minutes. This is not necessarily a bad thing-- but it is when there are literally no changes whatsoever to the melodic elements of the production for the duration of the track."

That is a scarily accurate description of nearly every tune made during the "golden era" of 8 bar music. it accurate describes nearly all of Skepta' tunes from Meridian Walk to today.

the "switch", as pioneered by "Pulse X" and subsequent 8bar tunes, is a powerful arrangement idea. while much of grime uses it, by contrast dubstep mostly uses (what mala used to call) "progression" where you basically set up your loop and then add and remove elements to give a gradual sense of change, rather than the shock of the "switch".

Personally I like and use both and would hate to see all of grime migrate to "progression" arrangements. but there's lots of ground to be occupied in between.

viktorvaughn

I was just reading a GZA interview and he said

'I move with the speed and strength of ants.’ People sleep on ants but no one would think about using an ant. Ants can carry 100 times their weight moving at the speed of a human going 100 miles an hour. I’m able to watch something and get a whole lot from it.

Reminded me of kronik's line about his crew having 'unity like a bag of ants'.

a lot of 8 bar switch tunes are still being made now

I have never done one though - I find it kinda annoying to make but you can bang out at least 4 -5 tracks a day with that approach

sub just and kanye tracks? sama...you are very guilty of playing some of these

hadouken? single of the week of zane lowe's show AGAIN?!

at least he battered 'bizzle bizzle' playing it twice in full back to back

yo

I know some deeper 16 year old's than that but...they probably wouldn't be liked half as much......lol

*edited* oh yeah how could I forget...wiley on the cover of the new echoes mag and a 2 page piece on no lay inside (big up my boy yet..yet again lol but he didn't do the wiley piece)

Last edited: