GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Immryr

when kano came to nyc in 2005, he brought Ghetto w. him as his hype man, and he sorta blew him off stage with his intensity, as kano's laid back coolness didn't translate so well live in front of a US audience... ghetto's delivery has gotten more and more stylized and less good, more funny strangulated voice... i like him on those old radio sets, but cannot think of one tune of his i really like...

yeah i agree with this 100%

CrowleyHead

Well, Kano has always come off to me as a lazy rapper when not in a PURELY GRIME CONTEXT. And this is coming from someone who was so excited to listen to grime after hearing Lethal B over Kylie Minogue, when I first really invested in Grime back in... '04, and then I hear "Brown Eyes" and "Typical Me" and I'm like "This... Is not, that different. It's cool, but... I've heard a million songs like this."

Fast forward to me hearing Boys Luv Girls like... 3 years ago, and I'm like "WHAT!?!? THIS CAN'T BE THE SAME GUY!?!?"

It's why Dizzee translated so well to us, he was ULTRA Foreign. And then when he got more and more understandable and "Well, that's something Jay-Z would try..." we got bored. Kano's ALWAYS been this way, so to us it's like "Why would I listen to this funny but weirdly voiced rapper who isn't 'cool' when I could listen to..."

And that's where I return to the original cause for my Ghetto debate. Ghetto's a ridiculously good rapper, but I (and I'm not an EXPERT at grime. Just only when in the comparison of other US Citizen Rap Fans who only heard maybe Dizzee and that's it, but...) never witnessed Ghetto being great in how I came to rationalize grime and separate it from Rap. WHICH YOU REALLY DO, NEED TO DO. Because if you use 'rap rules' for Grime artists, then every MC with a 'reload' bar is shit. And that's SO not the case.

Safe for bringing this to my attention some banging tunes on there, loving the one at around 17mins is there a tracklist?

Tracklist

Juzlo – The Music
General Tank – Cyber Worm
LordTeeDot – Sonic Boom
Darkos – No Solid Rounds
Manakin – Dirty Wongaa
Mossmade Beats – Black Out
Spookz – Amen Danger
Nu Klear – Trial
Jammy – Bussin’ At Em
Moony – The Worm
Santino – 2 by 2
Tricky Strutt – Pon A Wicked
Alert – Addministro
Sirpixalot – Lunacy
Sickwun – Old School Hype
Trends – Bass Mode
Sickwun – The Dark Side
Darkness – Luke Lucas
Solarris – Cavernicola
Mister Maff – Untitled
Emvee – Street Lights
Ethan Ryan & EnGee – Mango Juice
Flava D – Winder
Sketch’E – Bar Raid
Tricky Strutt – The Winner
Mossmade Beats – Stand Back
DJ Myrikal – Annihilation
Darkos – Rumble Ball
Dullah Beats – Kill Confirmed
Climak Beats – Morphine
RDW – Hear Me Cussin
DJ Cable – Pulse RBX
DJ Myrikal Ft. Flirta D – Interested
Plastician – Hard Kore
Kahn & Neek – Percy
Dot Rotten – Bazooka
DOK – Untitled
J-Sweet – Attack Warning
Kid D – Short Circuit
MIK – B£LLY
Flava D – Sickman
Big Narstie – Burst The Pipe
Footsie – Do You Hear Me
Bloom – Quartz
Mossmade Beats – Incoming VIP
Mr. Mitch – Senior Bass
Scru Fizzer – Give Up
Sirpixalot – Grime-Hot
Spooky – Pulse 007
Rapid – Go
J-Beats – Injunction (Mr. Mitch Remix)
Plastician – Plasbar
P Money & Discarda – Legion Of Doom
Spooky – Curry Chips (Danny B-Line Remix)
Newham Generals Ft. Esco – I’m a General
Scandalous Unlimited – Bare Face
J-Sweet – New one
Davinche – P’s & Q’s Remix
DOK – Melody
Dexplicit – Militia
Blacks – I’m OGz
Young Blood – Baraka Remix
Jamakabit Ft. Dreama & Typah – Shittah
Faze Miyake – Gun Powder

petergunn

plywood violin
Well, Kano has always come off to me as a lazy rapper when not in a PURELY GRIME CONTEXT. And this is coming from someone who was so excited to listen to grime after hearing Lethal B over Kylie Minogue, when I first really invested in Grime back in... '04, and then I hear "Brown Eyes" and "Typical Me" and I'm like "This... Is not, that different. It's cool, but... I've heard a million songs like this."

Fast forward to me hearing Boys Luv Girls like... 3 years ago, and I'm like "WHAT!?!? THIS CAN'T BE THE SAME GUY!?!?"

It's why Dizzee translated so well to us, he was ULTRA Foreign. And then when he got more and more understandable and "Well, that's something Jay-Z would try..." we got bored. Kano's ALWAYS been this way, so to us it's like "Why would I listen to this funny but weirdly voiced rapper who isn't 'cool' when I could listen to..."

And that's where I return to the original cause for my Ghetto debate. Ghetto's a ridiculously good rapper, but I (and I'm not an EXPERT at grime. Just only when in the comparison of other US Citizen Rap Fans who only heard maybe Dizzee and that's it, but...) never witnessed Ghetto being great in how I came to rationalize grime and separate it from Rap. WHICH YOU REALLY DO, NEED TO DO. Because if you use 'rap rules' for Grime artists, then every MC with a 'reload' bar is shit. And that's SO not the case.

ghetto is actually a very good halfway point between "spitters" and "rave bar mc's"... maybe Goodz is a better example for guys who can have it both ways, but when i think of technical MC's w/ no rewind bars, i think of Wretch 32, who can spit 32nd note couplets, but put a dance to sleep, and was def one of the first to pioneer that technical "i can compete with US hip hop" style... (in a way, Dizzee was at fault, as he was the first one to look towards US rappers as a direct point of comparison)

i guess that is what alot of this thread has been about in the last few months, what is a grime MC supposed to be in 2012? a guy doing Flirta D sound fx or some dude spitting very dull hot lyrical flames... that was why the last LOTM bored me senseless... just endless rounds of very straight spitting... every single person in there would have lost to Nicki Minaj going "RAWWW RAWW LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON" (never mind "TIGER TIGER I'm an E3 L.O.N. TIGER TIGER"...)

fhuckface

were those tunes recorded under his major label deal? just curious, could have something to do with them being as shit as they are. Brown Eyes certainly.

by the way this thread needs more

what's with flirta's comeback btw? never thought that sfx stuff would stand up on it's own in 2012...mind you anything to revive the MC is a thumbs up from me

CrowleyHead

@fhuckface;

Yeah, but to put it in context... I was still truly naive to grime. I only heard Dizzee and Wiley before (and whomever was on their respective debut albums) and then eventually I saw Kano name-dropped in that Simon Reynolds SPIN thing... So, I tried Kano.

But this was back in '05, '06 or so where I got everything via Limewire. I only got 7 Lethal B songs ranging from "Oi" and "Pow" to "Fire". Whereas with Kano, I had his Lord Of The Mics vs. Wiley, and that was good, but then the majority of the tunes were stuff like "Brown Eyes" or "Typical Me". I can imagine him debuting that stuff live in NYC and people just being like "... The fuck is this!? This is the same bullshit we look at grime to ignore!" and Kane being like "But you guys, this is what you do! Can't you see it's just what you like?"

Oh, I also had The Streets remix he did, but TBF, Bruza >>>>>

fhuckface

@Crowley, oh I totally agree he fucked that opportunity up. Bullshit that went with a major deal at that time for grime I suppose.. Don’t want to use that as a scapegoat though, cos he always had that ‘sweetboy’ image. And Dizzee did a much harder album, although at the time that was the blueprint. Was Kano’s album XL aswell? Was Dizzee’s even? I can’t remember.

btw when i refer to dizzee's 'albums' I refer to Boy In Da Corner specifically, the rest I couldn't relate to & were utter wank (although showtime had the what vocal, that was about it)

Last edited:

spookybizzle

Easy peeps..

Click here to download my latest 'Grimey Mondays' show on Deja Vu FM. Got new bits from Trim, Stormin, P Jam, Bloodline, D.O.K and a few bits from me too.

My "Code 9" E.P has now dropped on iTunes. Click here to cop that.
You can also grab yourself a "Code 9" t-shirt by clicking here.

Few dates you can catch me at:
TONIGHT! [Tues 18th Sept]: Sauce @ The Hippodrome, Kingston-upon-Thames
Friday 12th October: Shut Up N Skank @ Arc Bar, Bristol
Thursday 18th October: SWN Festival, Cardiff - Rep Dat @ Undertone
Friday 16th November: Eskimo Dance @ Proud2, London

Until next time...

Last edited:
I was on 1xtra with a grime guest mix last month, took me ages to upload it because i thought i lost the file. listen here if you want, anyway-

http://www.soundcloud.com/slackk/bbc-1xtra-guest-mix&g=bb">http://www.soundcloud.com/slackk/bbc-1xtra-guest-mix&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> http://www.soundcloud.com/slackk/bbc-1xtra-guest-mix">http://www.soundcloud.com/slackk/bbc-1xtra-guest-mix

Never know how to do soundcloud-

Tracklist-
Slackk - Spray
Africa Hi-Tech - Silencer Riddim
Gremino - Drumbeat
MIK - B£LLY Freestyle
Sirpixalot - Grime-Hot
Trends - Green Forest VIP
Slackk - 90 Years
Slackk - Empty Bottles
Major Grave - Loving You
Slackk - Blue Sleet
Terminator - Bad Man Juice

rubberdingyrapids

are all the grimetapes links dead? shame if so. ive been listening to lots of old sets again lately after a very long time leaving them alone and realised theres loads i want to get but dont seem to be working.

are all the grimetapes links dead? shame if so. ive been listening to lots of old sets again lately after a very long time leaving them alone and realised theres loads i want to get but dont seem to be working.

http://bit.ly/grimetapes should still have a fair few working (they're all on archive.org there) but most of other ones from when it was a blog don't work, no.

If there's anything in particular you want and can't find I'll be happy to try and upload but I've lost loads myself so that may well be an empty promise.

Last edited: