GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
What are we talking about exactly? I thought these eski-reworks, using a lot of Wiley samples was already behind us?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Some of the stuff Slackk was playing a year or two back caught the vibe rather than just being a homage thing, Murlo etc. Like Burial did with EL-B. And similarly trouble arises when people started codifying that rather than the vibe but what's new. Still lots to contrast that happy thing as you put it (bit of cold eski...) but there are far worse trends about

NATO

Yes. No-one gets away with it, even Logos.

Wholesale nicking of sounds that are the hallmark of another producer who's still active is pretty lazy and unimaginative. As soon as I hear any of those trademark sounds, I'd just rather be listening to Wiley.

As for happy grime, is there much of that around? Seems to me there's still shitloads of dark stuff around. Although there was an Inkke tune that sounded like Nursery Ghryme to me - can't remember the name but it wasn't great. Easy to tip over from 'fun' to just plain 'silly'.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, I'm not a fan of these producers using recognisable grime sounds of yesteryear - I think a lot of these guys are talented producers but they're leaning on a crutch. It's like these new school tunes that try to recreate jungle by using all the standard jungle sounds. I feel slightly torn about it cos a lot of those sounds are GREAT and were used a lot for a reason, but OTOH we need NEW sounds. Mind you outside of Juke Footwork I'm not hearing new WOW sounds in any genre particularly.

I know a lot of ppl feel differently about grime but personally I'm not interested in it so much when you take the MCs out of the equation. Like a lot of those old grime riddims are brilliant but are obviously designed for MCs and are therefore a bit boring without somebody MCing over the top of them.

N.B. there are definitely a lot of producers using the grime rhythms/style of the early noughties WITHOUT using those trademark grime sounds.

NATO

God forbid on a forum called Dissensus that users should enter into discussion that isn't just "this tune is sick" "check out my new mix" etc. SMH.

Trillhouse

God forbid on a forum called Dissensus that users should enter into discussion that isn't just "this tune is sick" "check out my new mix" etc. SMH.
Who said anything about stifling discussion?

To me it seems predictable that some 'new' thing gets hyped, that hype dies down, then the detractors start up. That's just how things roll.

Personally I don't really see the problem with producers looking back to what made Grime great in the first place for inspiration for how to get things back on track and hopefully moving forward. That makes sense to me. I'd much rather listen to endless tunes made with plugsounds and tirtons than see Grime slip into being another watered down version of an American artform. But that in itself seems as strawman, cause as yyaldrin said I don't really get what the gripe actually is. Which is why it feels more like the inevitable backlash get ur moan on, than it does something constructive.

Simon78

Not sure why this has come up now really. 6-8 months ago there were a few tunes using eski samples from new producers but I haven't been sent one for quite a while now. No one was really playing them anyway?

rubberdingyrapids

I'd much rather listen to endless tunes made with plugsounds and tirtons than see Grime slip into being another watered down version of an American artform.

trap grime gets a bad rep. yeah id rather hear grime proper, but then i also dont wanna hear grime proper taken to mean something like trad-grime, where people get all puristy about it either. trap grime isnt really a watered down version of trap/hip hop, its more just american rhythms but with grimey synths. it still has a uk flavour. and a tune like german whip - you could never say the rapping on that was american sounding. its still grime MCing, even if the beat isnt sounding like pulse x or eskimo or whatever. of course id much rather people hear made sped up trap, or a more ravey version, but i guess i will have to wait (or make it myself).

CrowleyHead

I think "Trap Grime" can be done right, but speaking as the resident American *flag appears behind me as I get on a boat crossing the Delaware*

You guys fucking suck at trap. Every time I hear S-X or a track like "Spookfest", I realize that there's no sense of grit to it, the same way someone like Rabit is terrible at making grime to my perspective (and of course we could blame that on his American status or his eski revival sounds or w/e.)

The key thing is you have to have a certain quality in your sound that isn't some cheap thing you bashed out overnight that MCs will think sounds nice because all they listen to is the same generic road rap production, generic grime beats that emulate trap or generic trap beats. It's why Dullah Beatz is heads and shoulders above most 'trap grime'.

Simon78

Ouch, two of my favourites completely dismissed there. I love Rabit's Grime personally and SX - Bricks is a percy ingle. You saved it at the end though bigging up Dullah Beatz lol.

Personally I wouldn't want to hear a whole set of Trap influenced Grime but a few tunes in a set work great. I play Spooky - Battlefield and Splurt Diablo - Guinness Punch a lot and they always go down really well in a club.

spam Dullah Beatz is playing at Boxed on Friday, free, yada, yada, yada spam

CrowleyHead

Obviously there are exceptions, but I tend to feel Spooky has a greater sense than suddenly trying to write a rap tune at 140. Splurt, I don't really feel like that, but hey.

Also, it's not like we get it right all the time either. Keyboard Kid's beat for "Deeper Darkest" is pure garbage, and were it not for that video, it'd be one of the worst record in grime.

mrmitch

I think there's room for it all to be honest, trap grime obviously does it for some people and theres nothing wrong with people taking influence from that stuff. As long as theres still people making all kinds.

With the use of eski samples I feel like a lot of producers felt like had they had to take a step back before they could take one forward. Seems like we're at the back end of the eski click revival though which is good