GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

petergunn

plywood violin
'No Homo' is more indicative of the black youth of Britain feeling they have more in common with black kids from America than they do with their normal working neighbours of other ethnicities.

They robbed it wholesale from rap forums such as realestniggas.com and Boxden.

the forums got it from Dipset...

EDIT: whoops, gumdrops beat me to it...

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
no homo was started or at least popularised by camron and juelz santana. eg - lyrics like 'no homo but i get in that ass', ' no homo but they cockin' em' etc etc. thats where kids get it from. the name ' the movement' was borrowed from dipset saying they were 'the movement' as well. grime has borrowed quite a bit from the diplomats. wileys 'gangsterz' is basically a vague grime version of the dips

Yeh, I know that. These kids all relate to Hip Hop more than they do a lot of British culture.

I fucking hate the fact people say No Homo. If only for the fact it's an Americanism, and we have plenty of our own slang to use!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The whole "9/11 changed everything" meme is ridiculous, its became a new foundation myth for America, and its just bollocks. Same old same old. But 2000-2001 WAS the nu-metal era, that much is true.

tate

Brown Sugar
But 2000-2001 WAS the nu-metal era, that much is true.
Out of curiosity, do you mean in the UK? Or are you referring to some sort of radio/cultural phenomenon? Because that year wasn't really a nu-metal 'era' in the states. Or in eastern europe, where i was living at the time. (Though I guess in the states there was a good bit of Deftones-type stuff around, come to think of it.) I would have put the nu-metal onslaught in the states somewhat earlier. Was just curious what you meant, to whom you were referring.

Last edited:

gumdrops

These kids all relate to Hip Hop more than they do a lot of British culture.

what british culture would you like them to relate to? its not like grimes influences are purely british (neither were garage or jungles or any of the dance music that preceded for that matter) so i doubt the culture that spawned it/is a product of it would be either. groups like the mitchell bros were banging on about being british and dressing british and talking british etc etc and it just came off ridiculous, like a eastenders scriptwriters notion of quaint, quintessential contrived ye olde britishness.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeh, I know that. These kids all relate to Hip Hop more than they do a lot of British culture.

I fucking hate the fact people say No Homo. If only for the fact it's an Americanism, and we have plenty of our own slang to use!

I quite liked it, I thought it was at least people recognising ( cf DMX's Ja Rule diss, the most ridiculously gay thing I've ever heard, if you view male/male rape as being 'gay' ) that what they were saying HAD homoerotic content, even if they didn't like it, which I saw as a progression in mindset. But this is coming from someone who reads studies about the amount of homosexuality in prisons with regards to re-offenders.

Agree with you on UK / US slang, it's gettin waaaaaay better though.

BTW, will Guns N Roses 2 be eligible for chart positioning? If so we should all run out n try n get in there from chart return shops...

swears

preppy-kei
@ Tate:
Heh...just picked something cheeseball and throwaway to describe that time..
It's when I first started going out, before we turned 18, me and my mates had to go to a lot of shitty student and metal nights where we wouldn't get ID checks. So the soundtrack to getting pissed and lots of bad kissing was awful stuff like Limp Bizkit and Slipknot.
It was huge in the UK around then, anyway.

Anyway....back to the grime. :)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
That whole no homo thing is super gay.

I know a lot of people don't wanna hear this but I'd say there's a very very high chance that Cam (and maybe other dips) are batty riders. Check the repeated references to anal rape (male or female), blow job songs, making it cool for NY thugs to wear pink and the icing on the cake, constant denials of homosexuality. I actually rate him for all this, think it's a testament to his skill that he could singlehandedly make it OK to act very gay and have that go largely unchallenged.

Regardless, anytime people start repeatedly and aggressively denying their homosexuality something funny style is going on. Regardless of what I say I never feel the need to deny that I'm gay, and if it ever comes up it's usually pretty funny.

As far as all the British kids copying NY, I think it's mostly boring. I would much rather listen to JME talking about 'I need some kebab rude boy' then anyone in the movement yelling about shanks and selling coke. I feel like the crack rap gangsta era in hiphop is running out of steam and they're all arriving late with not much to add to the formula.

petergunn

plywood violin
That whole no homo thing is super gay.

I know a lot of people don't wanna hear this but I'd say there's a very very high chance that Cam (and maybe other dips) are batty riders. Check the repeated references to anal rape (male or female), blow job songs, making it cool for NY thugs to wear pink and the icing on the cake, constant denials of homosexuality. I actually rate him for all this, think it's a testament to his skill that he could singlehandedly make it OK to act very gay and have that go largely unchallenged.

THE PURPLE PANTHER...

camron1.jpg

(the hip hop boards were going nuts over this... it's apparently actually a rather homely woman... go figure... but, yeah, cam'ron's sheer misogyny and homophobia def. reminds you of the dudes in high school who hated gay people so much, you figured they had to be gay...)

mms

sometimes
As far as all the British kids copying NY, I think it's mostly boring. I would much rather listen to JME talking about 'I need some kebab rude boy' then anyone in the movement yelling about shanks and selling coke. I feel like the crack rap gangsta era in hiphop is running out of steam and they're all arriving late with not much to add to the formula.

i think kids in the uk reach out to the us as there is simply more representative music in the us, uk rap is pretty much old farts, and the rest of the charts is rock n r n b .

hint

party record with a siren
what is no homo?
is it just denying your're gay sentence on sentence?
can someone explain ?

It's basically a pre-emptive strike against someone twisting something you said and making it "sound gay".

"Haterz can kiss my ass!"
"Dude, you sound totally gay. You like having yr ass kissed! LOLOLZOLOZ!!!!"

becomes

"Haterz can kiss my ass! No homo."
"That's fine by me."

mms

sometimes
It's basically a pre-emptive strike against someone twisting something you said and making it "sound gay".

"Haterz can kiss my ass!"
"Dude, you sound totally gay. You like having yr ass kissed! LOLOLZOLOZ!!!!"

becomes

"Haterz can kiss my ass! No homo."
"That's fine by me."

oh dear that's a bit silly.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I'll come round your bits with bare man and lick off your face, make you go down......(homo)
I'll come round your bits with bare man and lick off your face, make you go down...... (no homo)

gumdrops

hip hop needs one big collective 'no homo' after all the homoeroticism it has. as far as camron, the album cover for his first album confessions of fire, its no wonder he started using 'no homo' so regularly.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
what british culture would you like them to relate to? its not like grimes influences are purely british (neither were garage or jungles or any of the dance music that preceded for that matter) so i doubt the culture that spawned it/is a product of it would be either. groups like the mitchell bros were banging on about being british and dressing british and talking british etc etc and it just came off ridiculous, like a eastenders scriptwriters notion of quaint, quintessential contrived ye olde britishness.

Using Jamaican/West Indian culture makes sense as the community actually has roots in those places.

What the fuck do these kids have in common with anyone from America other than aspiring to immitate the unreachable bullshit exaggerated stereotype lives that they are shown through pre-packaged music acts?

Nothing. We have no ghettos here. Everyone lives on top of each other. There is no need to sell drugs in order to feed your family. There is no need to drop out of school due to financial restrictions.

gumdrops

Nothing. We have no ghettos here. Everyone lives on top of each other. There is no need to sell drugs in order to feed your family. There is no need to drop out of school due to financial restrictions.

we dont have gettos in the sense of brazil or the US but in comparison to other parts in london, theres many places in london that are comparatively deprived.

*no liberal*