GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

elgato

I just dont know
speaking of which ill be playing at Backlash at the Cosmic Ballroom in Newcastle tomorrow night if anyones in the area </plug>

WHAT?! whats the night?! are the mcs any good? cosmic ballroom is a sick venue i reckon

Edit: seen i just clocked its in the 2nd room :( sound system isnt so hot in there. got over excited for a moment

Last edited:

Immryr

the nights called backlash, its pretty much a breakcore night really so ill be on quite early. there are no MC's.

?OmEnS!

...any idea what time you are on Immryr? This is the Curves/ Backlash combo thing yeah? Am going to be going along for this one so would be nice to catch a bit of grime - 'tis my mates birthday though so not sure what time we will arrive.

TNT

Showerlip
ADMNT004:

A1: President T ft Skepta - Large Way
A2: Spider Beats - Large Way Instrumental
B1: President T ft JME - Heard What I Said
B2: Skitz Beats - Heard What I Said Instrumental

ADMNT005:

A1: Skepta - Missin
A2: Skepta - Autopsy
B1: JME - Raptor
B2: Skepta - Sonorous

Should be a few restocks of Good Old Days/Who's Mercs and Chance Us/Beef With T as well

some fuckin big tune deya

Love the Large Way instrumental, energy!

Immryr

...any idea what time you are on Immryr? This is the Curves/ Backlash combo thing yeah? Am going to be going along for this one so would be nice to catch a bit of grime - 'tis my mates birthday though so not sure what time we will arrive.

Well it opens at half ten i think, and im going to be on around 11pm. hopefully there will be some people in by then ;)

sorry about hi jacking the thread by the way

gumdrops

looks like geeneus has beeen seduced by funky house as well if the audio on his myspace (www.myspace.com/geeneus) is anything to go by (wiley too seing as he has a guest verse on the first song). when people started writing/saying that funky house was 'urban house' or 'ghetto house' i somehow thought that maybe people were making it more london-centric or doing something a little bit fresh/new with it but this is awful, twee, fake-funky, fake-latin weedy stuff. between this and that DMZ song left leg out and target talking about how funky house reminds him of the old garage days, it seems everyone is really getting into it big time.

petergunn

plywood violin
looks like geeneus has beeen seduced by funky house as well if the audio on his myspace (www.myspace.com/geeneus) is anything to go by (wiley too seing as he has a guest verse on the first song). when people started writing/saying that funky house was 'urban house' or 'ghetto house' i somehow thought that maybe people were making it more london-centric or doing something a little bit fresh/new with it but this is awful, twee, fake-funky, fake-latin weedy stuff. between this and that DMZ song left leg out and target talking about how funky house reminds him of the old garage days, it seems everyone is really getting into it big time.

half step could only last so long...

elgato

I just dont know
yeh not convinced by Closer to be honest, sounds like Congo but super-cheesy (cheesy in a bad way!). but its a long long way from the shit that generally i think of when i hear the words funky house

emotions is ok though, i really like the lead synth. but you do have got to question where things are going though when they get so overtly referential to days gone by :/

its certainly an interesting shift though, im sure some wonderful music will come of it once it matures a bit

Missing by plastician is exciting (http://www.myspace.com/plastician), loving the contrast of the filth and the soul

dwaggin

stone by day
i don't have a great number of grime tunes. way into dump valve beats like shangooli, what. i don't see many more great tunes like these available.

is it or isn't it already publicly expressed that vex'd has feet in both grime & dubstep? they make tunes that would be great with mcs. i love vex'd singles bombardment of saturn, killing floor, pop pop, lion, canyon, smart bomb.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
There's an absolute wealth of great instrumentals about. They just don't get released regularly. And when they do, the distribution is appalling.

And I can tell you it is not the artists fault. I spent about 6 months trying to find a reliable distributor, and I still don't have one to deal with UK stores. Baked Goods are doing excellently for me in terms of export, I highly recommend them.

But there's not really any good distributors willing to work with Grime labels in the UK. Dump Valve is distributed by SRD, but I very much doubt anyone else in Grime who doesn't have the links Geeneus does could ever dream of being able to push their titles through them.

It's very frustrating.

And on a side note, although partially relevant:

Limited <a href="http://www.uptownrecords.com/Adamantium 004 - President T EP.ram">ADMNT004</a> and <a href="http://www.uptownrecords.com/Adamantium 005 - Boy Better Know Beats EP.ram">ADMNT005 </a>test presses are being taken round London stores today.

ADMNT004:

A1: President T ft Skepta - Large Way
A2: Spider Beats - Large Way Instrumental
B1: President T ft JME - Heard What I Said
B2: Skitz Beats - Heard What I Said Instrumental

ADMNT005:

A1: Skepta - Missin
A2: Skepta - Autopsy
B1: JME - Raptor
B2: Skepta - Sonorous

Should be a few restocks of Good Old Days/Who's Mercs and Chance Us/Beef With T as well

That Skepta/JME record is big. Good choice.

CFour

is it or isn't it already publicly expressed that vex'd has feet in both grime & dubstep? they make tunes that would be great with mcs. i love vex'd singles bombardment of saturn, killing floor, pop pop, lion, canyon, smart bomb.
I doubt many 'grime heads' share the same sentiment to be honest

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I doubt many 'grime heads' share the same sentiment to be honest

As a self-professed grime head, I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ. Even though the dubstep scene occasionally get purist and snobby about grime's role in dubstep, it seems like there is still some interest in it, with JME's vocal of Tapped, Wiley's appearances on Kode 9 and Darkside sets, Wonder, MRK1, and the Plastician's albums, Tubby and the Newham Generals' dubstep leanings, and MCs like the Gens and Skepta's appearances and increasing interest in FWD nights.

nomos

Administrator
I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ.
when they work together it's magic. just like back when it was harder to tell them apart.

mos dan

fact music
As a self-professed grime head, I think that a more open attitude towards the similarities between grime and dubstep would be very exciting, both as a music listener and a DJ. Even though the dubstep scene occasionally get purist and snobby about grime's role in dubstep, it seems like there is still some interest in it, with JME's vocal of Tapped, Wiley's appearances on Kode 9 and Darkside sets, Wonder, MRK1, and the Plastician's albums, Tubby and the Newham Generals' dubstep leanings, and MCs like the Gens and Skepta's appearances and increasing interest in FWD nights.

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/07/never-backwards-ptii_115429463769367383.html

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set - has been one long dubstep boreathon.

the good news is skepta came down last week for the first time in all of 06, and apparently will be down with plastician again in the future.

can't help feeling that autumn 05 - when you'd see riko over youngsta, bossman and essentials, and target with roll deep, all in one night, and you were nobody unless you'd vocalled 'request line' - was a bit of a golden era tho, nostalgic beeatch that i am (check the flyer in that link!).

nomos

Administrator
can't help feeling that autumn 05 - when you'd see riko over youngsta, bossman and essentials, and target with roll deep, all in one night, and you were nobody unless you'd vocalled 'request line' - was a bit of a golden era tho, nostalgic beeatch that i am (check the flyer in that link!).
all i have to go on is the one experience because i'm on another continent. but when i was over in summer '05, the bill was n-type, geeneus, slimzee, riko, skepta, dogzilla, youngsta and crazy d. and it seemed absolutely perfect.

tox

Factory Girl
http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/07/never-backwards-ptii_115429463769367383.html

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set

I've heard Skepta over dubstep, and there was that Rinse show with Wiley over Kode9, but I haven't heard sets with Riko. Is there audio of him out there?

For me, Dubstep at its most "pure" is also the most boring. Still, there seems to be enough variety out there at the moment to ensure that most of the dubstep taste spectrum remains satisfied.