GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
On the subject of grime instrumentals, I´ve really been enjoying Kid D´s (don´t know who he is, or anything really) First Realm EP. 6 tracks (!) and quite mellow stuff, sometimes reminding me of 2step.

S

simon silverdollar

who's heard that grime track (spyro plays it) with the chorus that goes

"one day i went to Lidl,
i went to shoplift in lidl
that i got caught in lidl
now i don't go back to lidl

one day i went to asda
i went to shoplift in asda
that i got caught in asda
now i don't go back to asda'

?

pure genius. best pop-grime track for ages.
also interesting from a sociological point of view as it's the first grime track that i know of where the MC has got a heavy african accent

?OmEnS!

who's heard that grime track (spyro plays it) with the chorus that goes

"one day i went to Lidl,
i went to shoplift in lidl
that i got caught in lidl
now i don't go back to lidl

one day i went to asda
i went to shoplift in asda
that i got caught in asda
now i don't go back to asda'

?

pure genius. best pop-grime track for ages.
also interesting from a sociological point of view as it's the first grime track that i know of where the MC has got a heavy african accent

Afrikanboy - One Day I went to Lidl http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=77053306

Also worth checking out the "freestyle" of him on Youtube - some hilarious lines on there.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I've heard Skepta over dubstep, and there was that Rinse show with Wiley over Kode9, but I haven't heard sets with Riko. Is there audio of him out there?

For me, Dubstep at its most "pure" is also the most boring. Still, there seems to be enough variety out there at the moment to ensure that most of the dubstep taste spectrum remains satisfied.

i agree any grime/dubstep interaction is great but didnt we have this whole debate about a year ago?

benjybars

village elder.
http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/07/never-backwards-ptii_115429463769367383.html

cross-pollination at FWD>> was at its height this time last year (skepta was actually listed on the flyers as a host mc last november), but then mary anne hobbes dubstep warz show aired in january, skepta got banned, and this year - with the exception of generals, and one brilliant slimzee&riko set - has been one long dubstep boreathon.

the good news is skepta came down last week for the first time in all of 06, and apparently will be down with plastician again in the future.

can't help feeling that autumn 05 - when you'd see riko over youngsta, bossman and essentials, and target with roll deep, all in one night, and you were nobody unless you'd vocalled 'request line' - was a bit of a golden era tho, nostalgic beeatch that i am (check the flyer in that link!).

seen jammer down there towards the end of summer.. & Newham Gens SMASHED IT last friday!!

why doesn't maximum play at fwd no more?? surely MCs would turn up then..

Has logan ever played at FWD??

mos dan

fact music
fwd stopped booking people like maximum and target and bossman this year. no-one has explained (or questioned) why, which is a shame.

pure dubstep line-ups have been good for business - they're selling out once a week now, but it's made for some seriously repetitive nights down there ('ooh, is that coki's refix of sizzla again? goody').

@Blackdown: the difference between discussing this now and discussing it a year ago is that last year there was plenty of interaction to celebrate, right now there ain't. it's to dubstep's detriment if its success (since jan 06) leads to the marginalisation of music that exists in a similar aesthetic and geographical place. you'd think i'd get bored of saying this wouldn't you? lol.

anyway never mind all this moaning, cos ESSENTIALS ARE BACK!!!

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/11/omg.html

:)

S

simon silverdollar

it is. kinda funny in places but a total gimmick tune. sounds like an overlong skit.

oh come on, it's great fun!

i have a massive soft spot for this kind of silly grime. it's been gone for too long, in my opinion (bear man doesn't count as he made me feel ill whenever i heard him)

elgato

I just dont know
it's to dubstep's detriment if its success (since jan 06) leads to the marginalisation of music that exists in a similar aesthetic and geographical place. you'd think i'd get bored of saying this wouldn't you? lol.

haha you would. i think its cos deep down you miss dubstep despite all of your naysaying and criticism!

whats interesting about the fwd issue is that a look at dubplate.net shows how much ammunition are pushing grime... i reckon they stock more of it than they do dubstep! and the dubplates section is definately more grimey. i dont really know what to draw from that though

mos dan

fact music
haha you would. i think its cos deep down you miss dubstep despite all of your naysaying and criticism!

whats interesting about the fwd issue is that a look at dubplate.net shows how much ammunition are pushing grime... i reckon they stock more of it than they do dubstep! and the dubplates section is definately more grimey. i dont really know what to draw from that though

that's been confusing me as well.

a prominent person in the scene, who shall remain nameless, said this to me recently about fwd's exorcision of the grime monster: "either sarah (at ammunition) is an extremely shrewd businesswoman, or she's just very fickle". either way i've got to say it's fair enough, it's not my club night, it's hers, and she's done loads for both kinds of music.

and dude, i don't miss dubstep (difficult to avoid it lol), it's more that i am less able/willing to appreciate its qualities when it's all i hear in the rave.

elgato

I just dont know
and dude, i don't miss dubstep (difficult to avoid it lol), it's more that i am less able/willing to appreciate its qualities when it's all i hear in the rave.

i hope my playful tone wasnt lost in translation! i was just being flippant sorry

i doubt shes fickle, and im sure shes shrewd, so i know where my money is! there were a lot of people post-dubstep warz on dubstepforum saying they went down to fwd but didnt rate all the mcs etc, so i guess she clocked it. blatantly ammunition still want to push grimier stuff, you can see it with Road, Soulja and dubplate.net. even d1's next Tempa release is being headed up by a grimier number (which, i might add, is phenomenal...)

gumdrops

i dont know ammunition but im guessing that fwd know that the people coming to their events are mostly there for dubstep so thats even less incentive to play that much grime. plus, i dont think many of the recent dubstep converts really wanna come to a club if they have to worry whether the 'unsavoury contingent' that grime is associated with might turn up. dubstep is the more popular music (at least with people that actually still buy records and turn up regularly to nights) at the moment so of course its going to run things...

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
this is interesting in this context

newham generals have always been more accepted in the dubstep scene but still, its a big move by hatcha

elgato

I just dont know
whats the grimier D1 release? im not sure about ammunitions labels pushing grimier stuff per se, all the new stuff on the dubplates section is right on that line between grime and dubstep (in a really good way i mean but still in between the two sounds, something i hope well still see more of, grime- step or grubstep maybe? ;))

yeh its not exactly rapid or whatever, but its got a grimier aesthetic... the track is Greazey which is in said dubplate section. massive tune. rumour has it that its to be a 6 track EP (presumably 2x12"), with Foundation, Trail Run, ET (i dont know where audio is for these) and two more on.

i too have always loved the line, plasticman was my introduction to both genres, so its always been a soft spot for me

Last edited:

gumdrops

D1 seems really underrated to me. always hearing about dmz, skream and co but d1 is just as melodic - if not quite as catchy - as skream and he seems to be one of the more progressive (or at least more technoid maybe) producers in dubstep (although i probably just think this cos the stuff of his ive heard doesnt settle for dub pastiche)

elgato

I just dont know
he used to be underrated but i think now he's widely recognised (amongst punters at least) as one of the very top producers. i think he's sick, he's got such diverse styles too... from dark techno-ish dystopia (word-jack from tempa website), to trancey, progressive, euphoria, to UKG-styled chipmunked nostalgia