GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's funny that people were just mentioning Manga's unclashability the other day on here because Big H just said in a recent video interview that he should get "slapped in his glasses." I'm sure the symbolism of this is not lost on anyone.

Big H is, without question, the most important force in grime right now. The fact alone that his name is Big Hater is so necessary. He is like some vitriolic Ghost of Realness Past. Grime is getting so relativist in how it measures success and Big H comes with that merciless objectivity that it requires in order to retain its identity.

Perhaps more to come on that later on if I can free up some time; I'm working on a little something something. Don't wanna blow my load here.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Agreed; more importantly, he's out to clean house, which is nice. Grime has way too many people that aren't even necessary just clinging onto somebody else.

Let's be fair, nobody'd care about Manga in that Logan Sama set if he hadn't been hanging onto Fangol like the perfect sideman he is.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I understand that it's total sacrilege to put this in the grime thread, but I didn't think it warranted a new topic.

The Guardian have a piece up on their site about the current 'UK urban' explosion, Dizzee/Chipmunk/N-Dubz etc's domination of the top ten. Although it's very populist, I enjoyed the piece and despite the fact that I'm not a fan of N Dubz or Chipmunk, I'm not angry or frustrated about their success like most of the commenters at the bottom of the page are.

The guy posting links to old Hijack and Blade tracks that sound like Public Enemy tribute productions is off his head.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
you're throwing around more hyperbole (big h = most important force in grime right now) than a Fact writer with a 12" by an unknown UK house producer, care to make the case for Big H being top 3 selected, sorry top 1?

sjc

The Guardian have a piece up on their site about the current 'UK urban' explosion, Dizzee/Chipmunk/N-Dubz etc's domination of the top ten. Although it's very populist, I enjoyed the piece and despite the fact that I'm not a fan of N Dubz or Chipmunk, I'm not angry or frustrated about their success like most of the commenters at the bottom of the page are.

not the hugest fan of what these guys are making (though i do like some) but good for them. JLS too (whose singles i actually like more than half the other people in this article). hopefully it wont just be regarded as a blip or a fluke by the UK majors and be forgotten so the momentum theyve all built up just disappears.

petergunn

plywood violin
not the hugest fan of what these guys are making (though i do like some) but good for them. JLS too (whose singles i actually like more than half the other people in this article). hopefully it wont just be regarded as a blip or a fluke by the UK majors and be forgotten so the momentum theyve all built up just disappears.

vaguely related, i really like Wiley's new electro tune... TAKE THAT... def big room music, but weird for sure... i will probably be very sick of it by the time it comes out officially in like 2 months...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
you're throwing around more hyperbole (big h = most important force in grime right now) than a Fact writer with a 12" by an unknown UK house producer, care to make the case for Big H being top 3 selected, sorry top 1?

I said most important force, not best MC. I think Big H's importance lies entirely in his attitude. He is a respected MC from the past and made a heavy return which has not denigrated that respect one iota, so when he makes claims about the scene in general he actually has a lot of people's ears. H isn't interested in all this "I'm not a grime artist, I'm a musician"/ "Let's conversate about my achievements" relativism that is so prevalent with even the youngers now that Tinchy, Chipmunk, Bashy etc. have blown. To H, respect comes the ends and the ends only -- any other kind of respect is irrelevant. This kind of bold assertion of grime's particular objective framework, existing outside of chart positions and general mainstream ubiquity, is what Wiley used to do (post-In At The Deep End fail) and now doesn't so much (post-Wearing My Rolex success).

When everyone else seems to be rushing to appeal to anyone but grime fans, Big H is not only doing the opposite but admonishing those who don't. True, Ghetto and Tempa T are making this kind of music as well, but they don't bring with it a justifiable criticism of the other stuff, they just make the kind of music that would satisfy that criticism if you had it. Big H is a hater though and in defending being a hater, he becomes the most important force in the scene in my eyes.

But as I said, more on that to come when I got a minute.

Last edited:
giving blacks - sick individual a listen, its quite interesting the use of the dubsteppy/heavy metal wobble bass on tracks fall back, and madness

i dont think ive heard grime artists go over many of these beats

big h has a track called hooligan on his album that is a wobble beat, its his worst track imo

blacks comes over quite well on them, is this what they are calling dubbage then?

oh, beat selection is a lot on this and its a good listen, even if blacks comes across as a bit 2d

I said most important force, not best MC. I think Big H's importance lies entirely in his attitude. He is a respected MC from the past and made a heavy return which has not denigrated that respect one iota, so when he makes claims about the scene in general he actually has a lot of people's ears. H isn't interested in all this "I'm not a grime artist, I'm a musician"/ "Let's conversate about my achievements" relativism that is so prevalent with even the youngers now that Tinchy, Chipmunk, Bashy etc. have blown. To H, respect comes the ends and the ends only -- any other kind of respect is irrelevant. This kind of bold assertion of grime's particular objective framework, existing outside of chart positions and general mainstream ubiquity, is what Wiley used to do (post-In At The Deep End fail) and now doesn't so much (post-Wearing My Rolex success).

When everyone else seems to be rushing to appeal to anyone but grime fans, Big H is not only doing the opposite but admonishing those who don't. True, Ghetto and Tempa T are making this kind of music as well, but they don't bring with it a justifiable criticism of the other stuff, they just make the kind of music that would satisfy that criticism if you had it. Big H is a hater though and in defending being a hater, he becomes the most important force in the scene in my eyes.

But as I said, more on that to come when I got a minute.

i see what youre saying - but wasn't part of grime's insular early nature a reaction to a lack of media/cultural attention and also down to a belief that the music was simply a form of immediate expression and not a career opportunity. i mean there's a big difference between selling white labels out of your car boot and making a bit of money on the side, or getting signed and given an advance

prospects of money have obviously changed the way people approach their music, obviously big h just thinks major label money will never happen and is happy with that/has other avenues of interest to pursue

fair play to him, i'm a big fan of his and i think his album is a lot,

music will always change and evolve according to social circumstance, grime will never be able to remain in a 2003 clash state, part of what makes it such interesting music is the way its so immediate and temporally reactive, removing that element doesn't make sense, trying to lead a "grime renaissance" also doesn't make sense

better to look forward than to try and clutch backwards

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I don't think H thinks major label money will never happen, nor is his criticism a particularly "backwards" one. The pressure he creates is really only to keep it real.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is it that Big H is different or are the recent actions of his immediate peers just making him look different?

grime is a reputation economy. it's only recent chart careers that have changed the currency from status to ££s.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
is it that Big H is different or are the recent actions of his immediate peers just making him look different?

grime is a reputation economy. it's only recent chart careers that have changed the currency from status to ££s.

Agreed on second point but I'm not saying anything different from that. Yes, it only happened recently, but also only recently Big H came back and said "wait a minute". So yes, I support him in contrast to the recent actions of his peers, but that doesn't make him the same as them? He isn't making electro tracks to try and beg major deals neither does he have any reservations about being outspoken about those who are. That makes him different. He believes that from status comes money, not from money comes status.