time 100 best novels from 1923 to the present

Rambler

Awanturnik
I've only read about a dozen of these, but that more than doubles if you count film or TV adaptations - I'm surprised at how many of these have made it to screen.

I was also going to say 'wow! they've included the original reviews' until I saw it was a trick to get you to pay for them :(

There is no way on hell, Earth or any other fictional or really existing place that Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume should be in the top 100 best English-language novels...first 100 to burn, possibly...

rewch

have to agree about blume... seems a bit americocentric to me... which is not necessarily a bad thing... very, very nice to see henry green up there... he's the original absent author... one of his books had an author photograph of his back... rather like pynchon... good to see him in there too... errr... how does delillo make it in without james ellroy... where is tom wolfe? glad to see murdoch in for under the net & not the hugely overrated black prince... watchmen definitely... wrong faulkners for me though... the reivers/absalom absalom/as i lay dying... pretty difficult list to do though & why 1923?

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
a list with both henry green and richard yates isn't all bad. agree with comments about blume.

whilst very american it's odd to see which of the brits they've picked up on - the new ishigoru for example, white teeth and stuff like that.

also nice to see the sotweed factor on there - wonder who still reads it (besides myself, that is)

rewch

also wondered where the vietnam war had got to... no dispatches or if i die in a combat zone... have to agree about the brits... sort of jumped from 60s to now... hmmm

jed_

i thought they chose 1923 so they didn;t have to include the greatest novel of the century: Ulysses (1922).

moorroom

Finnegans Wake

And they didn't dare to include Finnegans Wake either, I wonder whether somebody pointed out that the books is not written in English at all. ;) Just joking of course, I actually like it very much.

Hello everybody, this is my first post even though I have been reading you for a while. If any of you can read Spanish, do visit my flog: www.fotolog.net/polygon

martin

----
moorroom said:
If any of you can read Spanish

Sorry for wrenching this thread off course, but you might be just the miracle I'm after - do you actually live in Spain? And if so, do you know how to get to Calanda?

moorroom

Calanda

Yes, I do live in Spain, AND my father was born not far from Calanda. The best thing to do is to get to Zaragoza, which is only a couple of hours from Madrid or Barcelona. From Zaragoza you can easily catch a bus or a train that will take you there.
I'm wondering what on earth are you planning to do there anyway ;) Luis Buñuel, the surrealist film director was born there.
If you need any further info don't hesitate to email me ivanconte2001@hotmail.com

martin

----
moorroom said:
Yes, I do live in Spain, AND my father was born not far from Calanda. The best thing to do is to get to Zaragoza, which is only a couple of hours from Madrid or Barcelona. From Zaragoza you can easily catch a bus or a train that will take you there.
I'm wondering what on earth are you planning to do there anyway ;) Luis Buñuel, the surrealist film director was born there.
If you need any further info don't hesitate to email me ivanconte2001@hotmail.com

Thanks for that, that's more informative than anything else I've found on the Net!

Was thinking of going out for the Easter drumming festival and yes, checking out Luis Bunuel's old house. Never been to Spain, so might make a bigger trip out of it, depending on cash and time.