wonderful graffiti

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Hey yyaldrin, do you know anything about the people responsible for what you might call 'stickiti'? I mean stickers used in much the same way as graffiti is. I see it occasionally in the UK but I was bowled over by how omnipresent it is in the Netherlands when I lived there. I get the impression it's closely related to skater culture, although I'm not quite sure why. A lot of the logos look like the kind of thing you might see Tippexed on a teenager's backpack. Interestingly many of them don't appear to be trying to sell you anything, so they're not really advertising so much as just a territorial branding.

View attachment 846

hm, don't know that much about it but always thought they did this everywhere? traffic signs, public toilets, bars, power stations. don't they do this in the uk then?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hm, don't know that much about it but always thought they did this everywhere? traffic signs, public toilets, bars, power stations. don't they do this in the uk then?

Well as I said, sure we have it here, but it's not nearly as prevalent as in the Netherlands.

I've seen some of the same stickers in both places, actually.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Glad it resonates! He has great insight. I like the bit where he says about watching TV and staying in and getting stoned "that's what you do when you can't fucking walk".

Was thinking on this after looking at those Instas - I love the second one, actually saw one of my old tags on there, but I love Drax's as well he's a great writer - that this was all stuff that's done by grotty kids off estates. It's kinda similar to drill in that way. These aren't people that moved in to launch creative careers, it kinda grew out of London.

it's brilliant. the whole thing. somehow very sad as well to see how cities have changed since then. cleaned up, surveillance everywhere, physical borders. it's difficult to live life like he does, as the documentary shows, but it has gotten near to impossible now. this was definitely recorded sometime before 2005 tho right? makes me think about how he uses the term "matrixed" before the movie being out, didn't know the word was used in that way so common.

luka

I doubt it was filmed before the matrix was released. I'd be surprised. Remember it's filmed in Melbourne. Things are pretty lax over that side of the world. Or were anywhere. Not as locked down.

DannyL

Wild Horses
2005 I think so presumably shot 2003/4? So a few years after the film.

I think what makes it is his anarchy being slowly pitched into confrontation with real world responsibilities that he seems totally unprepared for. There's a pathos to this and he seems right on the cusp of the two worlds.

DannyL

Wild Horses

Perhaps it's bad to watch this? Perhaps it's bad, this culture of being able to find more and more information about every passing whim? Sleeping dogs and graffers aren't left lying? Oh well. I'll watch it anyway.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Isn't the proto-Internet virtual world in Neuromancer called 'the matrix'? And that's from about 1982 or something.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Luka - God knows if anyone else is interested - dunno if you do podcasts, but Killer Kela is doing a "Graff Week Special" interviewing old school legends like Mean, Rate/Zomby (I had no idea this was the same guy), Skore, Eine and others. It's pretty mad for me to hear, seeing people I used to see up 20 years ago interviewed. Proper nostalgia triggering.
http://amp.killakelaofficial.com/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yesterday I passed a phone box with an advert on it depicting a scantily clad woman and somehad put a speech bubble in with the legend 'STICK AN AVOCADO UP ME'

DannyL

Wild Horses
Luka - was trying to PM you to say, I met Drax.... in my local Tescos. I knew he was a Hoxton boy so not that surprising. Twice now, we had a big chat the second time.

luka

Fucking hell seriously!!! That's amazing! He seems like a nice man, notwithstanding the football violence.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Lovely bloke, very friendly and chatty.

Thing was I was a total toy so it's not like he would've heard of me (but that's to be expected - I was like 16 when I stopped). We knew a few of the same people so were having a bit of a chat about them.

What is weird, and I said some of this to him, was how affecting I found looking at all those old pictures. In a good way. But I think it brought back the 16 year old me and all those unrealised desires, to be King of the line, going all city, to have rocked multiple whole cars etc etc. An unintegrated part of myself.

I didn't say this but it's really weird talking to someone who actually did do all the things I wanted to do at that age.

Last edited:

luka

Right exactly. I have people like that. People who did things I didn't give myself permission to do for one reason or another. Alternative selves.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Right exactly. I have people like that. People who did things I didn't give myself permission to do for one reason or another. Alternative selves.

With graf, it's weird 'cos it's the illegality that makes people quit. So people who manage to keep going are going against heroic odds really. I can't remember clearly exactly why I stopped but it was after I got nicked a couple of times (I suspect why I can't remember clearly is that I always meant to get back into it, but just drifted out). With him, I guess he's managed to combine the train stuff with his foreign travels.

Really interesting interview with Oker here (who got a 2 year sentence for graf). Found what he says about doing NY style bombing fascinating. You can see that influence still in what you see from him.

https://waveygarms.com/blogs/news/speaking-to-oker

Last edited: