Page 135 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 3543

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    Droid - is there a particular story from TBTTAUA that you recommend? I bought it, perhaps on your advice and felt very very disappointed after the first story... scowled at its spine and left it at my mums...
    Oh no! I adore his stuff.

I particularly liked "The Men From Porlock", “The Siphon”, "The Carrion Gods in Their Heaven" and “The Jaws of Saturn”, but its the unsettling atmosphere and conviction of his stuff that grabs me as much as the narratives.

If youre still looking for some quality horror, John Langan is worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I'd appreciate recommendations for journalistic non fiction.
    Reading a great book about Jimmy Savile atm.

I think I might have enjoyed cold six thousand most of all. It wasn't well received and even he partially disowned it but I thought it was a hoot. White jazz is great. American tabloid is great. I like all of them except bloods a rover.

The David Remnick book is called "King of the World". Its about Ali's early career, not just the Liston fight.
    That's a really great book. From memory there's also a first section on the Liston vs Patterson fight, setting the scene for Ali's entrance? I remember thinking that part was amazingly written.

Re David Peace - I read Tokyo Year Zero over the summer. Hypnotically grim. I can't even be sure whether I enjoyed it or not.

I'd appreciate recommendations for journalistic non fiction.

read robertos saviano's gomorrah last year and was blown away, much much better than the film (which is also very good).

also read 'in cold blood' which kinda fits this category but reads more like a novel. its amazing.

another off the top of my head is hunter s thompson's 'hells angels'. much less gonzo than fear and loathing, well worth a read if you haven't already.

i'd quite like some recommendations for this sort of thing myself, i was actually thinking of starting a thread when i was reading in cold blood last year.
    Last edited by Benny B; 14-01-2015 at 08:33 AM.

I was going to mention "In Cold Blood", which I read and adored, but for its apparent fictive elements. Last year I read a brilliant true crime book called " They Also Eat Darkness", about an English girl who was murdered while working as a hostess in Japan. Full of fascinating stuff about Japanese culture. Also "Killing For Company" by Brian Masters about Dennis Nielsen is extraordinarily bleak but again a fascinating read. I might read that book about Savile. There's a book about the Wests called "Happy Like Murderers" that is supposedly brilliant but I fear it would give me nightmares.

I was actually thinking of reading "Hells Angels" because Mailer briefly encounters and describes Thompson in "The Fight".
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

i think with those kind of books the fascination lies in the writer really being involved in the stories they`re telling and the tension that creates. saviano seething with disgust as his home city descends into hell before his eyes, hunter s riding with the angels for months before finally getting stomped, capòte's creepy relationship with perry smith...

while we're here, ellroy's 'my dark places' fits here too

I'd like to read Gomorrah too actually. My friends have been raving to me about the TV series recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    read robertos saviano's gomorrah last year and was blown away, much much better than the film (which is also very good).

also read 'in cold blood' which kinda fits this category but reads more like a novel. its amazing.

another off the top of my head is hunter s thompson's 'hells angels'. much less gonzo than fear and loathing, well worth a read if you haven't already.

i'd quite like some recommendations for this sort of thing myself, i was actually thinking of starting a thread when i was reading in cold blood last year.
    Yeah, theyre all really good. The great shark hunt (I think) is along similar lines, his attempt to win the election etc.

This is fantastic:

This guy has written a couple of famous books about mountain climbing, highly recommended:

Got this for xmas:

I'd like to read Gomorrah too actually. My friends have been raving to me about the TV series recently.
    The TV show is great, really well done.

Have you read Misha Glenny? McMafia was good, along similar lines to Gomorrah.

I thought mcmafia was shit. Journalese. Glib.

Craner recently drew me up a list of lurid political journalism I can't wait to get stuck in

Everythings about sleaze with you isnt it?

Does "lurid political journalism" mean political journalism written in a lurid style or political journalism describing lurid acts such as William Hague pissing in the mouth of a rent boy/girl?