jenks

thread death
River by Esther Kinsky - a very Sebald influenced book - 'a woman moves to a London suburb for reasons that are unclear. She takes long, solitary walks by the River Lea, observing and describing her surroundings and the unusual characters she encounters. Over the course of these wanderings she amasses a collection of found objects and photographs and is drawn into reminiscences of the different rivers which haunted the various stages of her life, from the Rhine, where she grew up, to the Saint Lawrence, the Hooghly, and the banks of the Oder.'

It's not the greatest blurb but i'm really enjoying it .

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
reading 'rings of saturn', as it happens, rather dutifully i must say, but enjoying it, despite the despair

last night i read the chapter about the chinese dowager Empress, her love of 'lifeless things'

luka

read them about 20 years ago now but i thought they were pretty good. enjoyed austerlitz the most.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
yeah there is a certain pomposity about it and often i'll start thinking why the fuck am i reading this anyway but then a really interesting bit comes along like the collapse of dunwich into the ocean and i needs must go on

also french quotations which i have to laboriously type into google translate

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
anyhow, i want to get it over and done with because i feel bad i've stopped reading shakespeare

reading goals:

anna karenina
middlemarch
paradise lost
gulliver's travels (reread)
chekhov stories wot i haven't read (and those i have read, reread)
henry iv pt 1 + 2/anthony and cleopatra/julius caesar (reread)/hamlet (reread)/othello (Reread)/twelfth night/richard 3rd

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i want to do paradise lost lets do that soon

i had a revelation (lolz) listening to an audiobook version read by anton lesser

as with shakespeare, on the page it looks very dry and laborious but investing emotion into it reveals it to be a rip roaring yarn about a misunderstood fallen angel who just wanted to get rid of a crusty old arsehole of a God

luka

theres a real tubthumping preacherman section high kenner quotes that got me excited a while back. i'll find it. you can hear the fist crashing on the lectern

luka

Nine time the space that measures day and night
To mortal men, he with his horrid crew
Lay vanquished, rolling in the firey gulf
Confounded though immortal; but his doom
Reserved him to more wrath; for now the thought
Both of lost happiness and lasting pain
Torments him; round he throws his baleful eyes
That witnesse'd huge affliction and dismay
Mixed with obdurate pride and steadfast hate:
At once as far as Angel's ken he views
The dismal situation, waste and wild;
A dungeon horrible, on all sides round
As one great furnace flamed, yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible
Served only to discover sights of woe,
Regions of sorrow, doleful shades, where peace
And rest can never dwell, hope never comes
That comes to all; but torture without end
Still urges, and a firey deluge fed
With ever burning sulphur unconsumed:
Such place Eternal Justice had prepared
For those rebellious, here their prison ordained
In utter darkness, and their portion set
As far removed from God and the light of heaven
As from the centre thrice to the utmost pole.
O how unlike the place from whence they fell

luka

you can really hear Ian Paisley in that. the gloating of the last line.The gleeful relish in the suffering of others is very Protestant. Wallowing righteously in others torment.
hes no shakespeare is he. but theres a lot of pleasure to be got from that i think.

luka

Ezra Pound thought Milton was a load of shit and you can see where hes coming from. looked at in a certain light he is pretty poor.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Ezra Pound thought Milton was a load of shit and you can see where hes coming from. looked at in a certain light he is pretty poor.

Where is he coming from, and in what light is he poor?

I don't have a dog in this fight, having read only a book or two of Paradise Lost at university and having never read any Pound.

bytheby, in Bloom's compendium of poetry he takes a very dim view of Pound. He seems to be a fan of Eliot's poetry, though considering him a terrible person.

also of interest - what is the protestant view of hell as opposed to the catholic view? After all, Dante's hell is hardly a picnic.

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
'In Ezra Pound's more concrete argument, Milton does "wrong to his mother tongue" by writing

"Him who disobeys me disobeys,"

when he means

"Who disobeys him disobeys me,"

and he does so because he is "chock a block with Latin" (ABC 51; the quote is from V.611-12). The imputation is that of slavishness, of Latinism for Latinism's sake, which, because of Milton's great influence on subsequent generations, results in what Eliot calls "the deterioration—the peculiar kind of deterioration—to which he subjected the language" (258). Few of these attacks are argued in a comprehensive manner, or with examples, but tend to imply, rather, that Milton and his supporters are somehow low. This is about more than just Latinism, as one of Eliot's more vicious ad hominem attacks shows:

Either from the moralists' point of view, or from the theologian's point of view, or from the psychologist's point of view, or from that of the political philosopher, or judging by the ordinary standards of likeableness in human beings, Milton is unsatisfactory. (258)

Ultimately, the anti-Miltonist position is less useful as a starting point for a discussion of Latinism in his poetry than as a reflection of the attitude towards language favoured by the Modernist project (Pound: "1. Direct treatment of the `thing' whether subjective or objective. 2. To use absolutely no word that does not contribute to the presentation. 3. As regarding rhythm: to compose in the sequence of musical phrase, not in sequence of a metronome" [Literary 3]), itself a continuation of the Romantic impetus towards what Wordsworth called "the language really spoken by men" (254).'

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cpercy/courses/6362Pickard1.htm

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
rL7M7J1.png

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
It seems like to even understand this charge of 'beastly Hebraism' I'm going to have to read a chapter in a book by Matthew Arnold

EDIT: this might help me http://public.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/hellenism.htm

Still, they pursue this aim by very different courses. The uppermost idea with Hellenism is to see things as they really are; the uppermost idea with Hebraism is conduct and obedience. Nothing can do away with this ineffaceable difference. The Greek quarrel with the body and its desires is, that they hinder right thinking; the Hebrew quarrel with them is, that they hinder right acting.

At the bottom of both the Greek and the Hebrew notion is the desire, native in man, for reason and the will of God, the feeling after the universal order, -- in a word, the love of God. But, while Hebraism seizes upon certain plain, capital intimations of the universal order, and rivets itself, one may say, with unequalled grandeur of earnestness and intensity on the study and observance of them, the bent of Hellenism is to follow, with flexible activity, the whole play of universal order, to be apprehensive of missing any part of it, of sacrificing one part to another, to slip away from resting in this or that intimation of it, however capital. An unclouded clearness of mind, an unimpeded play of thought, is what this bent drives at. The governing idea of Hellenism is spontaneity of consciousness ; that of Hebraism, strictness of conscience.

Presumably this opposition to 'hebraism' ties into Eliot and Pound's anti-semitism?

And as for the latinism stuff, I've got no hope of even spotting it, let alone being repulsed by it

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
It's times like this I wish I had the money and brains to enroll at Oxford to study Eng lit PROPER

back to uni with a selfimposed internet ban, and at peace with the no sex thing (one can dream)

Last edited: