version

Something about McCarthy rubs me the wrong way and I've never even read him. I groan whenever I see Blood Meridian mentioned or some po-faced quote pop up.

IdleRich

IdleRich
An aside... but Roman Holiday or... er, some other good ones are rom-coms, what happened to that genre that it became a complete and utter (unfunny) joke?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
By that I meant to say - I've never read him. I'm against him (vaguely) in principle. I'm a deeply conservative person in all sorts of ways, as Luka would tell you.

IdleRich

IdleRich
With McCarthy I think there is something cool about the way he switched from that kind of overblown biblical portentous macho style to a pared down simplistic macho style. If you hate both of them then maybe it's not him, it's the idea of him... or maybe you're not ready for super manly serious Americana like I am. Your loss.
Pynchon, he's a nerd I guess. If you don't know about calculus and eigenvalues and stuff some of it won't land. And he has this kind of fussy style. And I hated his latest ones... but the scope and the range and the ideas and the good bits cancel that out for me. It is a bit teenage boy... but sometimes that's ok, and it's the teenage boy side that involves making meccano in your bedroom rather than the one about big tits and beer and that's not so bad is it?

version

To be honest, sometimes I don't like Pynchon. If I read a convincing critique of something then I could well be put off for as long as it's fresh in my mind. I'm like that with everything though. I can't even conceive of how some people have things they can get into without fail. On a given day, I can absolutely hate what's usually a favourite.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Me too... I said that about music before I think, someone makes a good (or even bad) point about a record I love and I'm thinking hmmmm, am I wrong?
I dj and I play a record and no-one dances, that tune is dead to me even if I've loved it for years.

version

I sometimes get it in the middle of reading or watching something. I'll start questioning whether I'm actually enjoying it, how enjoying it would/should feel and whether I'm pretending to enjoy it or actually enjoying it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK that I don't do cos... in one sense at least, I don't mind if I'm enjoying it or not. Like they were talking earlier about Citizen Kane, it's worth sitting through (it's not even long) to have an opinion even if you don't like it (I do). So... the point is I don't have to enjoy something to inflict it on myself, but when it comes to inflicting it, or talking about it (which is kind of the same thing) to or with someone else then that insecurity (you could call it) comes in.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
IdleRich said:
It is a bit teenage boy... but sometimes that's ok, and it's the teenage boy side that involves making meccano in your bedroom rather than the one about big tits and beer and that's not so bad is it?

As I recall, there's a scene in 'V' where all these sailors are in a bar and they drink beer by sucking directly on these dispensers that are shaped like massive tits.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah but that doesn't mean Pynchon or his readers endorse that does it? There is a scene in Gravity's Rainbow where he sucks shit out of some girl's ass but feels guilty about it cos he's fantasizing about sucking a black dick, that doesn't imply that that's what he's into.

version

OK that I don't do cos... in one sense at least, I don't mind if I'm enjoying it or not. Like they were talking earlier about Citizen Kane, it's worth sitting through (it's not even long) to have an opinion even if you don't like it (I do). So... the point is I don't have to enjoy something to inflict it on myself, but when it comes to inflicting it, or talking about it (which is kind of the same thing) to or with someone else then that insecurity (you could call it) comes in.

I mean enjoying as in thinking it's good as well as having fun etc. Not being duped.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean enjoying as in thinking it's good as well as having fun etc. Not being duped.
But ny point is it's worth getting to the end so you can confidently say that.
I know it's funny to say I hate x without having read/listened but in real life people who say that go down in my estimation