Page 235 of 236 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236 LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 3526

Thread: what are you reading now?

With McCarthy I think there is something cool about the way he switched from that kind of overblown biblical portentous macho style to a pared down simplistic macho style. If you hate both of them then maybe it's not him, it's the idea of him... or maybe you're not ready for super manly serious Americana like I am. Your loss.
    Pynchon, he's a nerd I guess. If you don't know about calculus and eigenvalues and stuff some of it won't land. And he has this kind of fussy style. And I hated his latest ones... but the scope and the range and the ideas and the good bits cancel that out for me. It is a bit teenage boy... but sometimes that's ok, and it's the teenage boy side that involves making meccano in your bedroom rather than the one about big tits and beer and that's not so bad is it?

To be honest, sometimes I don't like Pynchon. If I read a convincing critique of something then I could well be put off for as long as it's fresh in my mind. I'm like that with everything though. I can't even conceive of how some people have things they can get into without fail. On a given day, I can absolutely hate what's usually a favourite.

Me too... I said that about music before I think, someone makes a good (or even bad) point about a record I love and I'm thinking hmmmm, am I wrong?
    I dj and I play a record and no-one dances, that tune is dead to me even if I've loved it for years.

I sometimes get it in the middle of reading or watching something. I'll start questioning whether I'm actually enjoying it, how enjoying it would/should feel and whether I'm pretending to enjoy it or actually enjoying it.

OK that I don't do cos... in one sense at least, I don't mind if I'm enjoying it or not. Like they were talking earlier about Citizen Kane, it's worth sitting through (it's not even long) to have an opinion even if you don't like it (I do). So... the point is I don't have to enjoy something to inflict it on myself, but when it comes to inflicting it, or talking about it (which is kind of the same thing) to or with someone else then that insecurity (you could call it) comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich
    It is a bit teenage boy... but sometimes that's ok, and it's the teenage boy side that involves making meccano in your bedroom rather than the one about big tits and beer and that's not so bad is it?
    As I recall, there's a scene in 'V' where all these sailors are in a bar and they drink beer by sucking directly on these dispensers that are shaped like massive tits.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Yeah but that doesn't mean Pynchon or his readers endorse that does it? There is a scene in Gravity's Rainbow where he sucks shit out of some girl's ass but feels guilty about it cos he's fantasizing about sucking a black dick, that doesn't imply that that's what he's into.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    OK that I don't do cos... in one sense at least, I don't mind if I'm enjoying it or not. Like they were talking earlier about Citizen Kane, it's worth sitting through (it's not even long) to have an opinion even if you don't like it (I do). So... the point is I don't have to enjoy something to inflict it on myself, but when it comes to inflicting it, or talking about it (which is kind of the same thing) to or with someone else then that insecurity (you could call it) comes in.
    I mean enjoying as in thinking it's good as well as having fun etc. Not being duped.

I don't hold with this new fangled art.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I mean enjoying as in thinking it's good as well as having fun etc. Not being duped.
    But ny point is it's worth getting to the end so you can confidently say that.
    I know it's funny to say I hate x without having read/listened but in real life people who say that go down in my estimation

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    To be honest, sometimes I don't like Pynchon. If I read a convincing critique of something then I could well be put off for as long as it's fresh in my mind. I'm like that with everything though. I can't even conceive of how some people have things they can get into without fail. On a given day, I can absolutely hate what's usually a favourite.
    Sometimes I don't like Prynne I hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    By that I meant to say - I've never read him. I'm against him (vaguely) in principle. I'm a deeply conservative person in all sorts of ways, as Luka would tell you.
    I actually love Corpsey and version exasperating as they are.

But ny point is it's worth getting to the end so you can confidently say that.
    I know it's funny to say I hate x without having read/listened but in real life people who say that go down in my estimation
    I don't say it in real life. I think I've finished basically every book, film etc I've started. The only films I can think of that I've turned off are Dom Hemingway and The Eagle Has Landed and I still need to finish Ulysses, but I didn't put that down because I wasn't into it, I just picked it up to read the bit luka was on about then went back to reading whatever else I had on the go and haven't gotten back round to it yet.

I don't even know why I hated The Eagle has Landed so much. It's got a great cast, people I usually like, but I remember being absolutely seething whilst watching it and having to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Sometimes I don't like Prynne I hate him.
    I hate him too and I've never read a word of him

I think I'm jealous of how much attention you give him
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Yeah but that doesn't mean Pynchon or his readers endorse that does it? There is a scene in Gravity's Rainbow where he sucks shit out of some girl's ass but feels guilty about it cos he's fantasizing about sucking a black dick, that doesn't imply that that's what he's into.
    Oh for sure, it just popped into my head.

Edit: having said that, I dunno if it's really possible to have come up with a scene like that without at least having thought about it in the first person, so to speak.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-02-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs