version

Started Satin Island earlier. Not very far through yet. He's sat in an airport talking about the Shroud of Turin and looking up hub-airports on his laptop whilst a bunch of news reports about an oil spill and a terror attack play across TVs. Reminds me of DeLillo.

catalog

'friday or the other island' by michel tournier, mentioned in the etymology thread.

30302941967.jpg

anyone read it?

very funny, sort of parody retelling of robinson crusoe, but with theory philosophy sexual perversion skew. sample quote from early on, where he regresses to his animal instincts in terms of walking/eating/shitting

"His hands had become mere forepaws used for walking, since it made him giddy to stand upright... Exiled from the mass of his fellows, who had sustained him as a part of humanity without his realising it, he felt that he no longer had the strength to stand on his own feet. He lived on unmentionable foods, gnawing them with his face to the ground. He relieved himself where he lay, and rarely failed to roll in the damp warmth of his own excrement."

Benny Bunter

IME a good way of learning another language is to try a translation of something you've read before and are really familar with - obv even better if you have copies in both languages to compare. I did this with a few books like Where the wild things are when i was learning spanish and it really helped. You get less bogged down in constantly looking up words you don't know.

luka

It's a bit of the brain most English people don't have. I wouldn't worry about it. Just learn to say thank you in whatever language and look suitably ashamed

catalog

yeah i agree with this. all the north europeans speak really good english and you don't need to talk in spain, head nods and smiling go a long way. then just say losiento a few times.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I had another crack at it before bed but the writing is so small I need broad daylight to even read the panels.

CartoonBook.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've just started A Glastonbury Romance. I quite like the style, although I'm only a chapter in. Big hopes for it after luka rhapsodised about it recently.

version

Just ordered loads of books. Some of them have already arrived,

The Tunnel, William Gass.
The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Gene Wolfe.
The Occult Roots of Nazism, Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke.
Sabbath's Theater, Philip Roth.
Count Zero, William Gibson.
VALIS, PKD.
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, PKD.
The Man Without Qualities, Robert Musil.
The Crystal World, Ballard.

luka

Roth and Gass= American banality
The rest of it is cool except Wolfe who is a bit too nerdy even for me and I've got a fairly high tolerance for dungeons and dragons