version

I'll probably order more Ballard and PKD soon. I nearly ordered High-Rise, but I hated the film so much it put me off. Might go with The Drowned World and Super-Cannes.

catalog

I would be interested in your views on palmer eldritch. The write up in that high weirdness made it sound pretty essential

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just ordered loads of books. Some of them have already arrived,

The Tunnel, William Gass.
The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Gene Wolfe.
The Occult Roots of Nazism, Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke.
Sabbath's Theater, Philip Roth.
Count Zero, William Gibson.
VALIS, PKD.
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, PKD.
The Man Without Qualities, Robert Musil.
The Crystal World, Ballard.
Man Without Qualities! One day...

catalog

I'm sure I read a book recently and it opened with a longish quote from it. Can't think which book now. Was a good quote

jenks

thread death
It might be the one book no one has ever read despite vaguely intending to
Errrm...I have read the first volume, it was a long time ago. I nearly bought the lovely new edition a coup,e of years ago but I realised I’d probably never get round to it - if I could clear my TBR pile I’d like to give it a go.

brilliant name. Nearly ordered it myself last year but I’ll just let version read it and tell me if it’s worth it

jenks

thread death
Can you remember anything about it?
I remember liking it and thinking I want to read more of him. That whole mitteleuropa kind of thing was particularly appealing to me at the time, Blau Riter school of painting, Schiele, that stuff and it seemed to fit right in. But to be honest it was before I had kids and could seriously commit to big novels in translation. Now they’ve grown up I should return to them I suppose.

jenks

thread death
I remember liking it and thinking I want to read more of him. That whole mitteleuropa kind of thing was particularly appealing to me at the time, Blau Riter school of painting, Schiele, that stuff and it seemed to fit right in. But to be honest it was before I had kids and could seriously commit to big novels in translation. Now they’ve grown up I should return to them I suppose.
The novels...the kids can look after themselves

I found a copy of Itzhak Bentov's Stalking the Wild Pendulum today. Looks interesting, anyone read it?

Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake is really good so far. Learnt a lot about lichens and cordyceps insect-wearing fungi. Presumably he's Rupert Sheldrakes son. They all went to see Terence McKenna as a family when he was kid.

Read a lot of books this year, the following five have stuck with me

Tribe - Sebastian Junger
Bunker: Building for the End Times - Bradley Garrett
Things that Bother Me - Galen Strawson
Alien Information Theory - Andrew Gallimore, great companion work with DMT and the Occult Mind - Dick Khan (he smokes DMT pretty much every day for a year and meets things)

Last edited:

luka

“This is an adventurous and indeed daring book, opening several unfamiliar micro-domains in the organic life world and its multiple connections. There is much to be learned in this wide field, and this vivid, scrupulous guide points the way!”

J. H. Prynne

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've just started A Glastonbury Romance. I quite like the style, although I'm only a chapter in. Big hopes for it after luka rhapsodised about it recently.
The second chapter has perhaps the silliest description of shagging I've ever read, but it's somehow awesome at the same time.