luka

To be honest, sometimes I don't like Pynchon. If I read a convincing critique of something then I could well be put off for as long as it's fresh in my mind. I'm like that with everything though. I can't even conceive of how some people have things they can get into without fail. On a given day, I can absolutely hate what's usually a favourite.

Sometimes I don't like Prynne I hate him.

luka

By that I meant to say - I've never read him. I'm against him (vaguely) in principle. I'm a deeply conservative person in all sorts of ways, as Luka would tell you.

I actually love Corpsey and version exasperating as they are.

version

But ny point is it's worth getting to the end so you can confidently say that.
I know it's funny to say I hate x without having read/listened but in real life people who say that go down in my estimation

I don't say it in real life. I think I've finished basically every book, film etc I've started. The only films I can think of that I've turned off are Dom Hemingway and The Eagle Has Landed and I still need to finish Ulysses, but I didn't put that down because I wasn't into it, I just picked it up to read the bit luka was on about then went back to reading whatever else I had on the go and haven't gotten back round to it yet.

I don't even know why I hated The Eagle has Landed so much. It's got a great cast, people I usually like, but I remember being absolutely seething whilst watching it and having to turn it off.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah but that doesn't mean Pynchon or his readers endorse that does it? There is a scene in Gravity's Rainbow where he sucks shit out of some girl's ass but feels guilty about it cos he's fantasizing about sucking a black dick, that doesn't imply that that's what he's into.

Oh for sure, it just popped into my head.

Edit: having said that, I dunno if it's really possible to have come up with a scene like that without at least having thought about it in the first person, so to speak.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
8491b5e8-8318-4757-8b86-cb15c33e1942_1.3a4163f13ed5ae09bb923705c0938353.jpeg

Bit late to the party. Very critical but from a left pov, using "critical marxism". Jon Eden would love this book. I now understand Marx's theory of value. Lots of stuff about class as a social relation rather than as an identity category and so on. Deep! As much as a primer on this reading of Marx as a Corbyn critique.

catalog

I've finished 'for the good times' and similarly pausing before maybe going for 'the peregrine'. Dunno if it makes sense sometimes to read things in quick succession bit it's been good for the last few weeks

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is that this book about, or rather by, a weird obsessive who writes absolutely viscerally and (from the descriptions I've heard) almost insanely about peregrine falcons?

catalog

I believe so. It's a diary of him looking at peregrines I think. Not opened it yet. Werner Herzog recommendation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A couple of my friends suggested that book to me as an all time fav, the links they gave me made it sound very intense. Though when I google it now it doesn't perhaps sounds quite as demented as the descriptions I'd remembered.

catalog

One problem with it is that Robert MacFarlane has someone got his filthy mitts on it and has given it an intro which is obviously a massive turn off, but I just won't read it

catalog

I agree with you there. Something very rotten about how he's turned up and got his hands over everything. He's spoilt the whole scene.

luka

He's turned nature writing into something gross. Just another career option for a well connected Oxbridge graduate

luka

These people just want to write for a living. They don't know why. Just want to make banal well mannered noises. Polite prose. Oh that's lovely writing Robert. Doesn't matter what the subject is, they just want something to make these polite noises about

catalog

I've never actually read anything by him, I just don't like how he was suddenly everywhere, across all media, like nature boy.