mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
lagrandeillusionposter.jpg

Out in London cinemas at the moment. New restored version.

Anyone who hasnt seen this should see it; not only has it got Gabin in it - one of the true masteractors of cinema, along with James Mason (who isnt in it...), it's got the industrial digging sequence to end all industrial digging sequences. Test Dept and Neubaten stand up as the plagiarists you are!

stephenk

two surreal alex cox jams - death and the compass, an adaptation of a borges

Picture+3.png

and straight to hell, which i had somehow managed to miss

and kiarostami's close-up, which i discovered was the inspiration for a tough alliance video i've always loved

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Watched Walkabout last night - very much of it's time, ie 'trippy' in places, compelling also, although the tree-trunk-as-fanny moment was comically obvious, and the meteoroligsts episode is plain odd ('comic' upskirt obsession?) - what was Roeg on?

nochexxx

harco pronting
loved Targets for many reasons, one of which has to be sniper's indeterminable reason or complete lack of motive behind his spree. is that even possible? still got me with that question.

rubberdingyrapids

cabin in the woods.

*possible spolier*
its basically the truman show of horror.

though some of the actual horror, esp near the end, could have been a bit better.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"two surreal alex cox jams - death and the compass, an adaptation of a borges"
I remember being really disappointed with the way that the credits at the start reveal that thingy is the supposedly mysterious bad guy by saying who plays him.

stephenk

I remember being really disappointed with the way that the credits at the start reveal that thingy is the supposedly mysterious bad guy by saying who plays him.

ah! that is annoying. i think i skimmed over that, thankfully. not that i was really blown away when he was revealed...but i guess that's a plus of watching movies half-asleep.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Agreed it's not massively important... but if they are gonna try to make him mysterious they should at least go through the motions. They make a fairly good fist of turning a short story into a film apart from that though I'd say. It was always one of my favourite Borges stories.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I thought Cabin in the woods was fun, liked the bad CGI at the end too, it made me laugh even more. I bet Whedon is great to hang out with.

Just watched "Night Train"
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0053176/

APolish film from 1959, another of Second Run DVDs superlative reissues. I can think of at least 3 people here who would love it. Great vibes and Miles type soundtrack? Check. Super, super hot Polish beat girls? Check. Meta narrative and some of the best camera work ever seen? Check.

Really impressed. Any other recommendations from the Polish School appreciated, I'm sold.

stephenk

They make a fairly good fist of turning a short story into a film apart from that though I'd say. It was always one of my favourite Borges stories.

yeah i was surprised. borges is definitely not easily adaptable to cinema, but the story's given a sinister druggy edge that kind of reminds me of cronenberg's 'naked lunch' adaptation.

craner

Beast of Burden
I watched Blue Collar, about union corruption in a Detroit auto factory. Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel are electric together. Pryor seems to be funnier playing a straight role than his full-on comedy (not talking about stand-up); the scene where an IRS officer visits his house is pitch-perfect, funny and poignant and angry all at once. I was reading about the film earlier, and was amazed to discover that the three lead actors (Pryor, Keitel, Yaphet Kotto) hated each other's guts, because the on-screen chemistry is for the most part warm and easy and propels the plot, which might otherwise have become convoluted. Great film.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
surreal alex cox jams

I'm a big alex cox fan. he's an interesting dude who makes interesting films. everyone knows the repo man/sid + nancy/straight to hell trio but my favorite, and I think his best, is walker. it's about this guy. he made it (with cooperation of the Sandinista government) at the height of the Contra War as an allegory - tho the source material is totally nuts in its own right - so it's full of deliberate anachronisms and overt modern-day references (and of course trademark cox surrealism) in the guise of a historical drama, which went way, way over the head of audiences and most critics at the time. it apparently got cox blacklisted from Hollywood. the whole thing is one of those unbelievable herzog + kinski in the jungle, coppola heart of darkness making of film stories. oh yes + joe strummer wrote the score.

here it is in its entirety on YT

padraig (u.s.)

Walkabout

one of my absolute favorite films of all time. not really much you can even say about it. kind of just in a class all its own. tho I will say it's as much, possibly more, about the mesmerizing performance by the aboriginal kid as it is the brilliance of roeg (jenny agutter's ain't bad either.

that actor, david gulpalil, also co-made ten canoes, the first movie entirely filmed in an aboriginal language. it's pretty good. oh and he was also in rabbit proof fence and the proposition (unforgiven-style revisionist western written by nick cave), both of which are also good.

padraig (u.s.)

oh yes + the reason i came over here originally was to mention john sayles. i happened to see matewan again the other day. totally fantastic, best film about class struggle ever made in america I'm pretty sure. also features a very young (like 15 or so) will oldham. his best film is either that or hombres armados (men with guns), an elegy for the brutal Central American civil wars of the 80s and all Latin American dirty wars generally. brother from another planet is great too, very man who fell to earth-ish but intertwined with race.

anyway I can't vouch for all his work but those 3 are gold. also, his muses are david strathairn + president roslin from bstar galactica (can't remember her name), which is an obvious plus.

padraig (u.s.)

^8 men out is also good but it's about baseball (which I even i find terribly boring), or at least a baseball scandal that symbolized a loss of american innocence, so people here probably wouldn't like it. altho, studs terkel is in it.

sayles' most recent film is about the Philippine-American War, a seriously brutal + basically totally unknown event in U.S. history (the original Vietnam if you will), haven't seen it yet but it's on my list

DannyL

Wild Horses
I watched Carol Morley's Dreams of A Life the night before last. To say anything about the film is spoilerise it I suppose, but it's very powerful. It's the true story of Joyce Vincent, a 38 year old woman who died alone in her flat in Wood Green and wasn't found for 3 years. It's told mostly through talking head interviews with those who knew her, and dramatic reconstruction - I dislike both of these techniques, they remind me too much of crap TV which put me off the film at first, but the strength of the interviews, in particular drew me in. It begins with a portrait of a young, vivacious woman but there seems to have been a moment or series of moments in growing older, where she lost touch with her friends, was possibly/probably involved in some abusive relationships, and just ended up in quite a sad space, which she endeavoured to hide from those few who she still had contact with. To me, it felt like the story of someone drawing more and more into themselves. I was glad Morley didn't dwell on the macabre elements of the story, but more of the memories and sadness of those who knew her. It reminded me of a former partner of mine, actually and I think it's going to have these universal resonances for everyone especially anyone who's ever felt a twinge of loneliness.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i was intrigued by the trailer to this one. glad to know that's a good film, will def catch it because the issues are fascinating - I was worried that it could, as you said, have just been a bit sensationalised and crap, good to know it isn't.