DLaurent

i generally dont like films in black and white anyway. too old fashioned.

Pay attention to the angles. I like black and white as I fall asleep to films, that and lack of swearing but cracking dialogue in noir. I dream in black and white.

I just have an aversion to Westerns in general but didn't like Johnny Guitar. Godard called Ray 'Cinema'.

DLaurent

what do you mean by angles? diagonal lines?

Camera angles. Obscure diagonal lines. Often known as Dutch angles to convey a sense of distorted reality. Another classic of film noir is both actors facing the camera. I can often lie in bed and just listen to a noir and picture in my head what's going on on-screen.

Probably telling you how to suck eggs. But it's true. :LOL:

luka

have you seen many of those marvel films? theyve got very film noir dialogue. very unnaturalistic, very competitive, shooting quickfire quips back and forth

nochexxx

harco pronting
watched the directors cut of Carnival of Souls, couldn't spot any differences between the OG cut tbh, pretty certain this film has been recommended here before. if anyone knows of any other films of this era that work as a double bill please do recommend!

entertainment

watched the directors cut of Carnival of Souls, couldn't spot any differences between the OG cut tbh, pretty certain this film has been recommended here before. if anyone knows of any other films of this era that work as a double bill please do recommend!
saw than on mubi some years ago. loved it. very scary that one. you had know idea what was going to happen. the tone or arc didn't let you in on the outcome like they do nowadays where you can mostly guess your way ahead

entertainment

horror movies nowadays seem to be propelled forward purely by the charge of tropes. adhering to them or not adhering to them but there's no disregarding them. they pave the roads of the narrative. every scene is a binary 0 or 1 on the trope in question.

luka

i think i understand most of that, computer games work in the same way, but what does the final sentence mean?