Page 211 of 212 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212 LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3180

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Absolutely.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Features Necro as a drug dealer using the N word

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

The scene where they force the night watchman to drink the full bottle of acid is the stuff of nightmares.

Pattinson tossing off the dog was... odd.

2:44

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    Atlantics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantics is pretty good. Sort of interesting in terms of mashing up genres/styles in an original way. Kinda gets a bit boring once you've figured it out though. Has anyone watched any of the films made by her grandfather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djibril_Diop_Mamb%C3%A9ty I might have a go with them. There's a kodwo eshun lecture all about this film of his https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyenas_(1992_film)
    I was gonna watch that this week after seeing the trailer and an interview with the director. Still will, sounds like it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    The scene where they force the night watchman to drink the full bottle of acid is the stuff of nightmares.
    Yeah that was horrible

The whole thing is like a nightmare tbh

I dunno what it all amounted to ultimately but it was "a helluva ride"

Uncut gems is better. More story going on there I would say.

Definitely going to see that

I watched the Meyerowitz Stories last night which I felt ambivalent about but it had some great stuff in it and principal among those great stuffs was Adam Sandler.

I rewatched Bringing Out the Dead last night, Scorsese at his most frenetic. Ving Rhames steals the show.

never seen it, but might give it a go.

watched climax by gaspar noe the other day. pretty good for about 40 mins, then descends pretty predictably. but i'd still recommend it. there's a great sequence where two very alpha dudes are talking about shagging and it's really gross out.

did anyone see 1917? i normally don't really like war movies but this one was quite okay i think. this "one-shot" technique actually adds something to the experience. anyway, what made me like the movie especially was one scene in particular. i wouldn't have mind if they would have stretched out that scene into half an hour. it's the bit where the guy crosses the bridge and finds himself in a little town or city completely in rubble, just ruins of buildings left. it's night and the only light comes from fires and flares that are continually shot in the air. the silhouettes of tore down buildings and these flares slowly falling down creates wonderful shadows, the ones that come and go real fast, the ones that start out as looooooong shadows but become increasingly shorter as the flares fall down. it looks like hell. but aesthetically it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    never seen it, but might give it a go.

watched climax by gaspar noe the other day. pretty good for about 40 mins, then descends pretty predictably. but i'd still recommend it. there's a great sequence where two very alpha dudes are talking about shagging and it's really gross out.

For anyone that hasn't seen it make sure you don't find out anything about it , otherwise it's a total spoiler. The trailer ruins the film

Combat Shock (1986) everything that people were making a big song and dance about with Joker before it came out, this movie did it with a significantly smaller budget and no big names and yet is a thousand times more compelling than what Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix thought they were doing with their toothless "character study".

Not only that but the most surprising thing about this movie is Troma Entertainment put it out and its the least like anything they put out before or since,its got 80s Stanten Island Regan era griminess that permeates the vibe of the movie, the actings not the best but theres a scene where two junkies are arguing over heroin under a bridge and it just feels like things are collapsing cause you get that pit of your stomach feeling that this moment was based in something deeply real.

In this movie rather than anything to do with parental abuse the "sad white guy" in this movie is a Vietnam vet with PTSD it doesnt have any of the complexities or finesse of movies that have tackled similiar subject matter but theres such a blunt anger and bleakness that radiates from the movie.

you can find the regular and directors cut on youtube

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

That does sound interesting... I found Joker totally toothless so...

Combat Shock is excellent, I reckon Deadbeat by Dawn would make for an excellent double bill as it shares similar production values, nowhere near as deep but really good fun especially the stupid martial art sequences.