DLaurent

MUBI used to be a great forum too.

I'm watching Paprika tonight and I'll actually have to WATCH it as it's subtitled. Seems similar to Perfect Blue, same director, and I like the concept of dream stealing. Usually I crawl into bed with a film.

I watched a bad quality rip of a noir called Crashout on youtube last night. Decent prison break noir but not as good as Le Trou or A Man Escaped (or even Escape from Alcatraz if that's the one with the puppets) those two I'd recommend.

luka

mccabe is good i hate leonard cohen but that film tricked me into liking his music, for the duration of the film in any case

luka

Wherefore, O harlot, hear the word of the LORD: Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thy filthiness was poured out, and thy nakedness discovered through thy whoredoms with thy lovers, and with all the idols of thy abominations, and by the blood of thy children, which thou didst give unto them; Behold, therefore I will gather all thy lovers, with whom thou hast taken pleasure, and all them that thou hast loved, with all them that thou hast hated; I will even gather them round about against thee, and will discover thy nakedness unto them, that they may see all thy nakedness. And I will judge thee, as women that break wedlock and shed blood are judged; and I will give thee blood in fury and jealousy.
198.jpg

Wherefore, O harlot, hear the word of the LORD: Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thy filthiness was poured out, and thy nakedness discovered through thy whoredoms with thy lovers, and with all the idols of thy abominations, and by the blood of thy children, which thou didst give unto them; Behold, therefore I will gather all thy lovers, with whom thou hast taken pleasure, and all them that thou hast loved, with all them that thou hast hated; I will even gather them round about against thee, and will discover thy nakedness unto them, that they may see all thy nakedness. And I will judge thee, as women that break wedlock and shed blood are judged; and I will give thee blood in fury and jealousy.
View attachment 6232
Just had a flash forward to when you get heavily into Jesus later this year.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Master and Commander; The Far Side of the World yesterday. Dunno if any of you lot have seen it but it's pretty good actually. I mean, it is what it is, a good old fashioned boys own adventure on the high seas for God and England, but it's pretty well done, the sea scenes all look realistic to me (as far as I can tell from experiencing a Townsend Thoresen ferry trip to France in the late 80s) and the jack tars are all pretty good.
I didn't realise it was gonna (basically) be one big cat and mouse game involving just two ships; the decision not to ever see the view from the perspective of the (dastardly) French ship is a good one, as it leaves it all up to the imagination with the ship merely as implacable and massive wooden enemy. In a weird kind of way that aspect of the film reminded me of Duel in which he is remorselessly hunted by the sinister truck, even at the end never finding out who the driver is or why it is trying to run him off the road.

DLaurent

how did you go with paprika D? im going to watch some more serial experiements lain
I got distracted listening to music that night. :LOL: I will save it for when I can concentrate on it but it seemed good like Perfect Blue.

luka

guess i should try and watch master and commander if not tonight then some other night this week. able bodied seamen.

catalog

I watched Master and Commander; The Far Side of the World yesterday. Dunno if any of you lot have seen it but it's pretty good actually. I mean, it is what it is, a good old fashioned boys own adventure on the high seas for God and England, but it's pretty well done, the sea scenes all look realistic to me (as far as I can tell from experiencing a Townsend Thoresen ferry trip to France in the late 80s) and the jack tars are all pretty good.
I didn't realise it was gonna (basically) be one big cat and mouse game involving just two ships; the decision not to ever see the view from the perspective of the (dastardly) French ship is a good one, as it leaves it all up to the imagination with the ship merely as implacable and massive wooden enemy. In a weird kind of way that aspect of the film reminded me of Duel in which he is remorselessly hunted by the sinister truck, even at the end never finding out who the driver is or why it is trying to run him off the road.
Yeah good film, we've got a thread for it. I think what pushes it up a notch is the attention to detail.

catalog

I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread. Prompted by me watching it a second time and thinking it was better. And I was a bit mashed as well.

chava

Stumbled on this. A bunch of conservatives rages on Britain in the 60s. Why not.

edit: properly not the right thread as this is not a "Film"

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well I watched Body Double, which is basically Vertigo put together with Rear Window but fun all the same. My favourite thing was the house he got to stay in

chemosphere-house-squid-ink-creative-commons-2.jpg

b665c50c81f4ea8ed312b6007d368601.jpg

luka

if you like that you'll love Iron Man. One of the great pleasures of those exceptional films are the millionaire interiors.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well I watched Body Double, which is basically Vertigo put together with Rear Window but fun all the same. My favourite thing was the house he got to stay in

chemosphere-house-squid-ink-creative-commons-2.jpg

b665c50c81f4ea8ed312b6007d368601.jpg

Classic L.A. pad. I love this sort of thing, it's why Selling Sunset is my favorite TV show.