IdleRich

IdleRich
I just watched an excellent (if confusing and weird) Spanish film called Arrebato (Rapture). It was made even more confusing because there were no subtitles and I don't speak Spanish but I was watching it with a Spanish girl who rather sportingly agreed to do a sort of simultaneous translation all the way through the film. Think I may have missed some of the intricacies though. Anyway, it's basically about two weird guys who are obsessed with film in slightly different ways - one of them is also a heroin addict who lives with his junky girlfriend while the other one is an insane recluse who lives with some insane (in a different way) woman in a massive house in the country. The recluse isn't really able to relate to people except when he takes heroin and then his voice and hairstyle change and he becomes a different kind of weirdo. Luckily the two film geeks meet up and communicate and the film is told in flashback beginning with the junky guy receiving a package from the other chap. The film deals with obsession and escapism through film and what seems to be a magic and vampiric camera that goes one stage further than stealing your soul. At least, that's assuming that this girl wasn't winding me up the whole way through and inventing a completely different story a la The Magic Roundabout. Either way, it's very weird and wonderful with some great imagery and demented acting and stuff. Highly recommended if you can find it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078797/

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched Midnight Cowboy last night. Voight and Hoffman are both excellent. Hoffman's voice begins to grate after a while, but it's a minor gripe. Heartbreaking film.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Arrebato is great Rich, I've got a copy with subtitles on my computer if you fancied watching it again. They're fan written ones, but they were pretty good if I remember correctly. Well I don't speak any Spanish, but they were certainly plausible.
Actually I've still not sorted you out with the DVD of Malpertuis I promised so I will deal with that before I start offering more things.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Arrebato is great Rich, I've got a copy with subtitles on my computer if you fancied watching it again. They're fan written ones, but they were pretty good if I remember correctly. Well I don't speak any Spanish, but they were certainly plausible.
Actually I've still not sorted you out with the DVD of Malpertuis I promised so I will deal with that before I start offering more things."
Ha - I really would like a copy of Malpertuis if it's no trouble. I think that my friend has located a copy of Arrebato with subs though so no worries about that. Glad you enjoyed too - it was really quite a special (and unusual) film. Strangely(?) enough I didn't have a problem watching it in translation as it were - I have to say that that was a very generous thing for her to do for me - I think most people would have regretted agreeing to do that seconds after starting and very few would have made it right to the end.

sufi

lala
title%20werner%20herzof%20land%20of%20silence%20and%20darkness%20dvd%20review%20.jpg

herzog - land of silence and darkness ....
unreservedly recommendable
a%20werner%20herzog%20land%20of%20silence%20and%20darkness%20dvd%20review%20PDVD_001.jpg

typically sadistic herzog ... taking the deaf-blind people round the cactus house.....
on the subject of subtitles, these were the shittest ever. i watched another fan-subbed herzog where the translations were simply crap, but this one just missed out great chunks of dialogue, kind of appropriately given that the film's all about sensory deprivation :slanted:

i would watch it again if anyone could recommend a good source of better subs?

nochexxx

harco pronting
No problem - all this talk has got me quite keen on filling some gaps in watching so The Haunting and The Innocents are both on the list... I'll be interested to know what you reckon about Salo and Vampyr... good luck...

Salo was amazing. sickest film i have ever come across. is it really based on true stories?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
weirdly, this film is on my hard-drive, but i have no recollection of why it would be there . my copy is missing subtitles too :( anyone here know how to get srt files to work with avi?

Open it in VLC. Open the video menu. Go to 'Subtitles Track'. Select 'Choose subtitle file' or something like that. Load the .srt.
Sorted.
I'm sure it's pretty easy in other video players too, I just don't know them off hand.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
or, just make sure the srt and the avi file are in the same folder and both have the exact same name..

like:

ghostbusters 2.avi
ghostbusters 2.srt

vlc should do the rest for you

Been on a bit of a Herzog binge lately, just watched Mein liebster Feind - Klaus Kinski. Really apt title. Herzog basically tells anecdotes about what it was like working with Kinski. Kinski seems like he was one of the maddest people in film ever. Real intense, possibly certifiably insane? Herzog knew how to use it though and made some amazing films with the guy.

nochexxx

harco pronting
thanks for the tips, but for some reason? all those facilities are disabled on my VLC player, the video section is completely turned off. i have looked into the preferences and even reinstalled the entire thing, but still no joy. :(

4linehaiku

Repetitive
on the subject of subtitles, these were the shittest ever. i watched another fan-subbed herzog where the translations were simply crap, but this one just missed out great chunks of dialogue, kind of appropriately given that the film's all about sensory deprivation :slanted:

i would watch it again if anyone could recommend a good source of better subs?

I found these: http://www.divshare.com/download/13203089-f18
No idea if they're better than the ones you had, but it's only 35kb so worth a go I'd think.
In general opensubtitles.org is a pretty good resource (though I didn't actually get that one above from there).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Salo was amazing. sickest film i have ever come across. is it really based on true stories?"
I thought that it was very loosely based on, or perhaps better described as inspired by, 120 Days of Sodom although it is supposed to be an attack on fascism. Dunno if some real events are mingled in except in the most general sense. Could be wrong about this though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also watched Permissive the other day. It's a kind of low-budget British film about groupies in the early seventies. Bleak and about as glamourous as, well, probably about as glamourous as it was to be a groupie to a third rate hairy rock band playing their derivative protest-rawk to a bunch of wankers in shitty venues and to be expected to fuck them after the gig in rubbishy looking hotels. Filled with hateful characters and utterly lacking in anything resembling a plot the film's grittiness is slightly undercut by the lack of ability on the part of any of the actors to manage anything resembling acting. This is especially strange because the band were actually played by some third rate hairy rock band who failed abjectly to believably impersonate themselves. Despite all this the mundane nastiness of the scene is quite effectively conveyed over the course of the film. The soundtrack is enlivened by a couple of cuts from folk weirdos Comus and it serves as a kind of document of something or other that has a certain amount of interest to a certain kind of person. I guess I am that kind of person 'cause I can say I pretty much enjoyed it.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I've been no place I wanna go back to, that's for damn sure.

Watched Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia last night. It's a great film, no doubt, but on some viewings it seems to be lacking something. The attempted rape scene is bizarre and not too far from the one in Straw Dogs.

Warren Oates' finest performance, by far.

"Come on, Al. We're going home."

bring-me-the-head-of-alfredo-garcia.jpg